collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The retained player list  (Read 4705 times)

Offline mr woo

Re: The retained player list
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 08:22:53 PM »
Davis.         Pl. 48       Gls.  2
Hogan.       Pl.  56      Gls.   7
Wesley.      Pl.  21       Gls.   5
Samatta.   Pl.    8         Gls.  1

And that my friends, is why we're in big trouble.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »

Including Wesley as part of the problem is unfair and shows that people still can't see what he was providing. Since he got injured we've scored 8 goals in 12 games, in the 21 before that we scored 28. Put as simply as I can if he doesn't get broken by Mee we're not in the bottom 3 now and our window in January would've been very different. People can point to whatever they like but for me that tackle will be the single most significant action in our relegation, if it happens.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 08:42:59 PM »

Including Wesley as part of the problem is unfair and shows that people still can't see what he was providing. Since he got injured we've scored 8 goals in 12 games, in the 21 before that we scored 28. Put as simply as I can if he doesn't get broken by Mee we're not in the bottom 3 now and our window in January would've been very different. People can point to whatever they like but for me that tackle will be the single most significant action in our relegation, if it happens.

Yep.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 08:46:35 PM »

I’d say we’ve missed Wes, he may have faults but on his game he was a handful and has caused more damage than any of his replacements this season.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »

Totally. He's been maligned something rotten on here.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »
Injury apart the numbers say Wesley would have scored 9 or 10 goals in a season.  I think that is a very poor return on a £22.5 million investment.  £2.25 million a goal.  Hogan (bought off Dean Smith) cost us £10 million.  £1.43 million a goal. Samatta £10 million, £10 million a goal.  Davis £400k   £200k a goal.

Rule of thumb fag packet numbers I know but the point I want to make is about getting, or not getting, what you pay for.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 09:33:45 PM »
We've missed Wesley because his replacements have been worse.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »
If Wes would have given us 10 goals or more that would have been a pretty fair return I’d say. It’s just we shouldn’t of gone into this season with just him. Absolute ridiculous decision.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 09:35:30 PM »
Injury apart the numbers say Wesley would have scored 9 or 10 goals in a season.  I think that is a very poor return on a £22.5 million investment.  £2.25 million a goal.  Hogan (bought off Dean Smith) cost us £10 million.  £1.43 million a goal. Samatta £10 million, £10 million a goal.  Davis £400k   £200k a goal.

Rule of thumb fag packet numbers I know but the point I want to make is about getting, or not getting, what you pay for.

Doesn't have to repay his entire value in goals over a single season though. In context I'd have been happy with 10-12 from our main striker and the same again from the wingers and backup strikers combined. I said at the start of the season that if we could get near 45-50 goals we'd be safe pretty much regardless of what happened at the other end. Until that Burnley game we were pretty well on track for that. I can't prove it either way but in my opinion we'd be around where Brighton are if we hadn't had those 2 big injuries. Heaton was misfortune but I don't think Wes was, I think Mee saw a chance to leave one in and went for it having been given a bullying all game.

Offline mr woo

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2020, 09:49:32 PM »
Just because Wesley was (is)?  the best of a bad bunch doesn't mean he's not part of the problem.

By which I am pointing the finger at the recruitment team not the players, who can only be what they are.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2020, 10:31:44 PM »

Yep.

Good point. Same as for Heaton. It still bewilders and befuddles me why Archer has not been given any further opportunities to fill the clinical striker void since the Crewe game. He is not even training with the first team and has been stuck at home doing private training for the last few months.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 12:37:24 AM »
The thing is with Wes for a big bloke he can't jump.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 01:47:07 AM »
A few people mentioned on this site and elsewhere that they had bumped into Pitarch at Villa Park around the January transfer window and asked about the Benteke speculation.

Word was we weren't interested because he doesn't score enough.

We then opt for the Spanish lad who doesn't score goals in the Championship or Premier League.

Offline Kimaster1976

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 05:49:44 AM »
We didn't really opt for Borja though, he was bought in on a free and on a pittance as emergency back up only.

Had we signed Benteke it would have been at a huge cost (fee, wages, long term contract, bonuses) for a player hitting 30 and a shell of the player he once was.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 06:01:52 AM »
It will be interesting to see how many of the good players that we have currently on the  "retained list" will want to stay if we get relegated!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal