collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 14371 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2020, 12:35:04 AM »
How is playing with 2 (crap) wingers and a non scoring rookie centre forward going to keep us up?

We tried two up top in the last game with similar results.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:24 AM »
The five sub rule is a killer for the lower sides. None of us has the depth to compete with the top sides.

It did exactly what it was designed to do, it artificially  influenced a result to increase the probability that the top team wins. 

Literally what 4 months after Watford produced the result of the season out of the blue they’ve done everything possible to eliminate chances of it happening again - no crowds (was inevitable), they’ve split the game into quarters (that will eventually be adopted as the norm as a commercial break), introduced coaching breaks masquerading as drinks breaks & this ridiculous 5 subs nonsense. 

The PL et al should never be allowed to refer to sporting integrity again - in their rush to preserve the broadcast millions they’ve served up a crap spectacle with a completely different rule book, integrity my arse!   

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2020, 01:01:00 AM »
Dean Smith keeps going on about other teams having better players, not just yesterday, which makes me think that he is having a dig at others who bought the players without his input. As "head coach" he presumably has less influence than he would as "team manager". The people bringing in the players do not have sufficient knowledge about football. This seems to me to have gone on for a number of years and that may be why a lot of money has been wasted.

He has been hammering that angle for months. Unfortunately for Dean he also claimed that last summer that he had final say on any new signings. Plus, he certainly can't plead ignorance to the likes of Konsa, Engels, Targett and Jota. Tim Sherwood tried the same angle towards the end of his tenure. With similar results for coach and club.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2020, 01:03:57 AM »
The five sub rule is a killer for the lower sides. None of us has the depth to compete with the top sides.

It did exactly what it was designed to do, it artificially  influenced a result to increase the probability that the top team wins. 

Literally what 4 months after Watford produced the result of the season out of the blue they’ve done everything possible to eliminate chances of it happening again - no crowds (was inevitable), they’ve split the game into quarters (that will eventually be adopted as the norm as a commercial break), introduced coaching breaks masquerading as drinks breaks & this ridiculous 5 subs nonsense. 

The PL et al should never be allowed to refer to sporting integrity again - in their rush to preserve the broadcast millions they’ve served up a crap spectacle with a completely different rule book, integrity my arse!   

Yup.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2020, 01:26:00 AM »
Don't think our players deserved that result tonight. I liked our shape defensively and in a game of previous few chances I thought we looked the most likely before Manes opener. Thought Reina's dive to stop the second was snowman esque.

Harsh, the shot from their wunderkid was going straight at Reina but it took a nick off Mings and changed direction.

Liverpool getting a bit of luck, when they're already festooned with better players, not exactly fair, is it?!

Online sid1964

« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2020, 06:19:16 AM »
Our forwards (Davies, Samatta) don't seem to have a goal or a shot at goal in them - if we are relegated then I am sure both will do well for us in the Championship, but neither is a premier league forward!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »
I’m surprised sentiment has turned on Samatta. Given how recently he’s moved here and how few games he’s had there’s not enough evidence to make inferences from his goal stats.

For me, he looks like a proper striker, can head the thing, and gets into better positions than Davis, plus his hold up play is almost as good.

Without midfielders who can score there’s no point in a Davis type.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2020, 09:13:14 AM »
He looks alright, but not that strong or quick. He's decent but won't cause problems for most top flight centre halves, for my money.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
Dean Smith keeps going on about other teams having better players, not just yesterday, which makes me think that he is having a dig at others who bought the players without his input. As "head coach" he presumably has less influence than he would as "team manager". The people bringing in the players do not have sufficient knowledge about football. This seems to me to have gone on for a number of years and that may be why a lot of money has been wasted.

He has been hammering that angle for months. Unfortunately for Dean he also claimed that last summer that he had final say on any new signings. Plus, he certainly can't plead ignorance to the likes of Konsa, Engels, Targett and Jota. Tim Sherwood tried the same angle towards the end of his tenure. With similar results for coach and club.

I think both can be true to some extent. It’s fairly acceptable to conclude that some of our players aren’t that good while understanding that that is due, in some part, to the difficult job we had to do in recruiting players in the summer.

Either way, it’s certainly not untrue - I would say that our squad is comfortably one of the five poorest in the league.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2020, 09:21:23 AM »
Legion, just wish I had your enthusiasm but, sadly, our team this season has knocked the stuffing out of me. Each game, I think, today is the day we start turning our fortunes around but, when the match has finished, I’m drained yet again. Still hope that you’re right and I’m wrong though.

I'm far from enthusiastic. Just clinging on to faint hope that we can still turn it around after our impending capitulation against ManUre.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2020, 09:24:04 AM »
I thought we did ok overall but we just didn't look like scoring again. All that has changed since the re-start is that we look more organised and teams are not pushing us over which is a good platform to work from but we are creating nothing in front of goal.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2020, 09:35:10 AM »
We remind me a little bit of myself when I used to play cricket. When I was fielding i'd be in the game, concentrating but then after certain amount of time my mind would start drifting and I'd start watching the game rather than being in it. Our team is like that, they cannot concentrate for a full match.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2020, 10:41:31 AM »
Two positive things.

Douglas Luiz is the genuine article and is going to be a star player at Villa or someplace else.

There is a general air of confidence and calmness when Reina is between the sticks.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2020, 10:42:43 AM »
As calamitous as he was at Leicester, hearing him bellowing endlessly yesterday gave me reassurance too.

I know he was at fault for the goal, but I felt Taylor played well. Doesn't offer much going forwards, but I was impressed with his noise and play.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
As calamitous as he was at Leicester, hearing him bellowing endlessly yesterday gave me reassurance too.

I know he was at fault for the goal, but I felt Taylor played well. Doesn't offer much going forwards, but I was impressed with his noise and play.

I've never minded Taylor. Defensively he's fine but like you say, offers nothing at all going forward. He's not the best left back i've seen down there but by no means the worst.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal