collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread  (Read 14441 times)

Offline myf

Re: Liverpool vs Aston Villa post match thread
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »
I’m going to stick to my opinion...

Last season was too early for us to get promoted. We needed the extra season to rebuild, gain understanding and develop. Sadly, we can’t do that in the Premier League. Coupled that with a dreadful transfer policy, money spunked all up the walls on what is effectively garbage...

If we get relegated again, it will be time to rebuild. Again.

I reckon we'd be in lots of trouble financially if we failed to get promoted. there is some dross in the squad but there is also youth and potential. we can cash in on the assets. I don't see it as a huge rebuild when we go down. we'll need a couple of experienced heads and some pace and we'll be well placed to bounce back

Offline Damo70

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2020, 06:38:15 PM »
Not going to be this game that relegates us, it will be the many other games where we took nothing.

Manager clueless, should have gone ages ago but didn't.

So here we are looking at an awful run in, labouring away with hopeless wingers, zero pace and a striker who has almost never actually scored.

I fucking hope the owners don't decide they've had enough, that's all I can say.

I will defend the owners on most things but I think they made a big mistake not replacing the manager during the season. I said back in February it was time to make a change. I would have brought Allardyce in at that point and said so at the time. We may have still gone down but I think he would have kept us up. I hope upon hope I am wrong but I think we will go down with Norwich and Bournemouth.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2020, 06:38:29 PM »
I’m going to stick to my opinion...

Last season was too early for us to get promoted. We needed the extra season to rebuild, gain understanding and develop. Sadly, we can’t do that in the Premier League. Coupled that with a dreadful transfer policy, money spunked all up the walls on what is effectively garbage...

If we get relegated again, it will be time to rebuild. Again.
Pretty much  this and a change of manager - Smith has been a huge disappointment

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
Taylor - Did quite well.

Apart from losing Mane for the opening, naff defending.
Both fullbacks were ball-watching for the first goal. Shame, because they'd both had a good game up to that point.

Offline supertom

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2020, 06:41:45 PM »
Did we play that well, or were Liverpool coasting like it was a day at the beach? I think the latter. A couple of moves up the gears and we were cut apart routinely. Same happened against Chelsea. We're just woefully short on quality. It's difficult to piss on the side too much given it's at Anfield, but Liverpool had an easy game, barely broke sweat. We huffed, we puffed, but were a wet fart of a footballing side and little more.
We're gone now.
We need two seasons in the championship unfortunately. One for rebuild and stabilising because the only players good enough will leave, and the others are next to useless. We need two strikers because we don't have a single decent one at the club. Wesley will leave anyway, for half the price we paid (if that). Samatta will probably go too, but if he did say, I really don't see what he's got about him. I think he'd struggle in the championship and can't handle physical defenders.

The biggest problem we had in coming up was that we lost a huge amount of players. Okay, maybe some wouldn't have been good enough, but losing that continuity in one go is tough. You cannot start virtually a new side when you're coming up to the Premiership. We bulked in August when people compared us to Fulham, well it's happened. Sheffield Utd did well because they kept their side and sprinkled a few sensible buys here and there.

Cash in on Mings, McGinn and Grealish. Sell the dross. Keep the handful of players who might actually stay and be useful in that league, and rebuild with sensible signings. Players with a some time under their belt but a few years ahead. If a club wants Grealish and have a tidy player we can take on loan, get it done. Heaton and Steer as keepers is a good base for next season to start from. That way if we go up in a year or two we can sign 4-5 decent players and have a side in place who already know how to play together. Whoever is making our signings needs to be fired into the sun too. Paddy O'Reilly mk 2. Fucking awful. These players don't fit together, even the few reasonable ones we signed this summer. Take the axe to the club again, top to bottom. Start again, but for the love of McGrath, do it right this time.

Oh and a new manager is absolutely essential.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »
Last season was too early for us to get promoted. We needed the extra season to rebuild, gain understanding and develop.
I don't buy that I'm afraid.  The only thing to do in that division is get the fuck out of it as quickly as possible.  I don't buy the assumption we'd have come up the following season, almost certainly without at least one of our best players.   As it was we only finished 5th.

We got promoted, it was up to the management team to sort out our problems and they didn't.  They didn't solve any in January either.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 06:43:30 PM »
Cracking result.  Was expecting a dire performance and a cricket score.

If Trez was left at home.  We might have scrapped a draw. 

Play like that for the rest of the season and we might stay up. 

Reina gets on my tits. 

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 06:44:18 PM »
Not going to be this game that relegates us, it will be the many other games where we took nothing.

Manager clueless, should have gone ages ago but didn't.

So here we are looking at an awful run in, labouring away with hopeless wingers, zero pace and a striker who has almost never actually scored.

I fucking hope the owners don't decide they've had enough, that's all I can say.

I will defend the owners on most things but I think they made a big mistake not replacing the manager during the season. I said back in February it was time to make a change. I would have brought Allardyce in at that point and said so at the time. We may have still gone down but I think he would have kept us up. I hope upon hope I am wrong but I think we will go down with Norwich and Bournemouth.

Smith should have gone before the transfer window, this league takes no prisoners, you dither and you pay the price and that's precisely what we have done, Allardyce would have been a good shout to survive and then go again.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2020, 06:44:30 PM »
Last season was too early for us to get promoted. We needed the extra season to rebuild, gain understanding and develop.
I don't buy that I'm afraid.  The only thing to do in that division is get the fuck out of it as quickly as possible.  I don't buy the assumption we'd have come up the following season, almost certainly without at least one of our best players.

We got promoted, it was up to the management team to sort out our problems and they didn't.  They didn't solve any in January either.
Agreed.
And the club didn’t take appropriate action after Leicester. Which they should have.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2020, 06:46:25 PM »
Souness, not a chap I like, made an interesting point about Jack saying he gets fouled so often because he holds the ball too long...watching the game he has a point.. several times an earlier ball would be better. Having said that if all you have is Keinan Davis to pass too it hard not to want to hang on to it...Davis might be a nice lad but premier he is certainly not.
Looking forward, we are probably down but this time hold players like Dougie and Konsa as they will get better, but Jota? No.
Heads held high but no points.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2020, 06:47:03 PM »
I don't buy that I'm afraid.  The only thing to do in that division is get the fuck out of it as quickly as possible.  I don't buy the assumption we'd have come up the following season, almost certainly without at least one of our best players.   As it was we only finished 5th.

Damn right, staying in the Championship one second longer than the bare minimum is a disaster waiting to happen, the more your in that league the more you'll be in that league, its a possessive demanding place. 

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
Reina did ok but poor distribution and Smith picked him for the romance.
Konsa played ok, is beginning to improve and I think will be ok.
Hause did nothing wrong, like Konsa, will improve.
Mings held us together at the back.
Taylor, switched off for their goal and nearly did the dsame a while later.  ******.  I've never rated him.
McGinn played much better, some poor distribution at times but arguable due to lack of movement.
Luiz, I hope he stays with us as I think he's really getting there.
Grealish, in and out of the game, great save from Allyson
Trezeguet, why bother.  Why did Smith leave him one?
El Ghazi, did better than Trezeguet.  The only guy with anything like pace and he gets hooked?
Davis- crap.
Samatta- Championship.
Jota- the Blues fans are still laughing at us.
Indy- We were 1-0 at the time, this was not the game to throw him on, we had a chance of a point, poor kid.

Smith- crap subs.  At the drinks breaks, why is he silent?
Routine win from a side who were excellent earlier in the season but are not quite firing at the moment.

Offline Loxton01

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2020, 06:48:14 PM »
Another frustrating watch. Liverpool we’re playing at 33% and found a way to get over the line.

We battled and were organised and had a few chances but we just couldn’t take them and that is down to quality and not getting a bit of luck.

The criticism of Davis is breathtaking. He can hold the ball up and keep the defenders occupied. He does the job much much better than Samatta. Issue is Davis is like heskey and needs to bring other players into the game he is not a goal scorer! The issue here is he is our only option and that isn’t good enough for Aston Villa. Please remember we lambasted Wesley and Samatta cannot play a lone striker Role

I thought they all put a lot of effort in. El Ghazi is immensely frustrating he just lacks guts. Trez I thought put a real shift in but simply lacks quality.

If Watford pick up 4 points against Norwich and Newcastle think we are doomed

Offline The_ads

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2020, 06:48:44 PM »
Disastrous jan transfer window, two of the signings can’t get a game. West Ham get Bowen and Soucek and both have been excellent.  Trezeguet is absolutely dreadful

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »
If you want as vision of supporting Aston Villa, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal