collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Wolves Post Match Thread.  (Read 19246 times)

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
Re: Aston Villa v Wolves Post Match Thread.
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2020, 06:13:06 PM »
We are a Championship standard team coached by a Championship standard coach. Next season I suspect we will have found our level.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #211 on: June 29, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »
Moyes and Pearson, two of the more experienced managers in this country have both failed to get much of a tune out of the squads they've inherited; why are you so convinced that anyone else would do better for us?

Moyes has been a busted flush for years, employing him was ridiculous.  As for Pearson, Watford were rock bottom on 8 points from 15 games when he took over.  They're now 16th with 28 points from 32 games.  For those first 15 games they took 0.53 points a game, Pearson has taken 1.17 points a game, which if replicated over a season, or indeed, the rest of this season, will probably see them stay up.

In the same time that Pearson has been manager, Villa under Smith have taken 12 points from 17 games, or 0.71 points per game. Form that will almost certainly see us relegated.

That doesnt tell the full picture though does it?. Watford had the well versed new manager bounce’ but have since won 1 game in 10, there form is awful. And although many months ago, they were awful at villa park in January under Pearson and even though we had to wait till the last minute we were the much better side.
They may stay up and we may go down, but the idea that appointing Pearson has been some sort of stroke of genius or the kind of brave decision that villa haven’t taken, is just not panning out.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #212 on: June 29, 2020, 08:38:13 PM »
Moyes and Pearson, two of the more experienced managers in this country have both failed to get much of a tune out of the squads they've inherited; why are you so convinced that anyone else would do better for us?

Moyes has been a busted flush for years, employing him was ridiculous.  As for Pearson, Watford were rock bottom on 8 points from 15 games when he took over.  They're now 16th with 28 points from 32 games.  For those first 15 games they took 0.53 points a game, Pearson has taken 1.17 points a game, which if replicated over a season, or indeed, the rest of this season, will probably see them stay up.

In the same time that Pearson has been manager, Villa under Smith have taken 12 points from 17 games, or 0.71 points per game. Form that will almost certainly see us relegated.

That doesnt tell the full picture though does it?. Watford had the well versed new manager bounce’ but have since won 1 game in 10, there form is awful. And although many months ago, they were awful at villa park in January under Pearson and even though we had to wait till the last minute we were the much better side.
They may stay up and we may go down, but the idea that appointing Pearson has been some sort of stroke of genius or the kind of brave decision that villa haven’t taken, is just not panning out.
Top quoting

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #213 on: June 29, 2020, 08:39:53 PM »
it's not looking good for us another defeat with Liverpool and Man Utd our next two games I don't know were our next point will come from.

The way things are going?

Probably at home to Charlton.

Ha! You're forgetting our first game of next season, Fleetwood away.

You honestly think we’re getting a point from that one?

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2020, 04:33:53 PM »
Every Wolves fan I have spoken to since Saturday has metaphorically patted me on the back in patronising/condescending terms about how we weren't that bad and we played OK. I think I'd rather have them take the p**s than pity us, to be honest. Bar Stewards.   

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2020, 04:45:26 AM »
In truth both teams were poor. They just took their half chance when it came along while ours never came along.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2020, 06:58:21 AM »
We are a Championship standard team coached by a Championship standard coach. Next season I suspect we will have found our level.
the problem is, we will need to be better than that level.
With the current set up I don’t think we will be.

I wonder how excited the owners will be about Division 2.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »

They bought us whilst we weren't doing great down there. And they know we're currently ahead of the plan, so whilst nobody may be excited, they'll not exactly be shocked.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2020, 10:05:13 AM »

They bought us whilst we weren't doing great down there. And they know we're currently ahead of the plan, so whilst nobody may be excited, they'll not exactly be shocked.
I think CL was ironically referring to the 4th tier, Drummond.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2020, 11:04:27 AM »

Well, I missed the irony, funny that.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2020, 11:33:13 AM »

I was referring to EFL, someone will have to talk me through how ending up back where they started is ahead of plan.

Oh yeh, having lost our 3 best players.

Nonsense
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:35:21 AM by ChicagoLion »

Offline Drummond

« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2020, 03:36:14 PM »

I was referring to EFL, someone will have to talk me through how ending up back where they started is ahead of plan.

Nonsense

They weren't expecting to be where we are now. The expectation was another season in the Championship. Therefore we're ahead of the plan. What happens after this season is where we may fall behind the plan. i.e. If we're relegated.

Is that clear enough?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2020, 09:12:23 AM »
Having gone up, the plan resets.  The message from everybody wasn't "we've gone up ahead of time, so let's just enjoy ourselves for a year and if we go down, so be it."  The message very clearly was, "we're back, and we're going to compete well in the Premier League."  We haven't, at all.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »

Nonsense

They weren't expecting to be where we are now. The expectation was another season in the Championship. Therefore we're ahead of the plan. What happens after this season is where we may fall behind the plan. i.e. If we're relegated.

Is that clear enough?
On the basis we should have stayed down last season and got promoted this season.
So you agree that being back in the second division next season  would put us a year behind the plan. Clear enough for you?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal