collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: When the going gets tough  (Read 1258 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: When the going gets tough
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 11:08:50 PM »
Are you on the wind up PWS?!  ;)

My point is that WITHOUT Grealish last season we were hopeless. Now that was either because Jack was running the show, or Smith only knew how to make that team function WITH Jack in it.

Next season, we'll not just be without Jack, we'll almost certainly be without ALL of the players in that group, so stats would say we're going to perform even worse than a team just lacking Jack Grealish.

Brentford are performing better with their squad/budget than Smith managed with Villa last season. The Villa team overachieved last season, courtesy of Jack's late efforts, and Dean Smith was hailed as the messiah for it. Personally, I'm not buying it.

A team that should have done better overachieved? How does that work?

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : 02.01.2021
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 11:25:08 PM »
In that run, arguably our best team performance was without Grealish.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 01:15:15 AM »
No, I replied to a point you made and now you're moving the goalposts. He should smash the league with those players, he did, but now it's not him at all.

Next season is irrelevant as that wasn't what you said. "Christ, Smith should have walked that league with that team?!" With them all we were W12 D1 L2.
Also, we donít yet know which players will be brought in. If the likes of Archer and Barry are as good as people are saying, it could be interesting next season. If we do stay up, those players would likely be going on loan next season. If we go down, fuck it, trust them and chuck them in and see what happens.

Someone said on another thread they reckon Archer will be better than Dalian. Personally, Iíd like to see what him and Barry can do over a season. If we stay up those players would likely be going out on loan to Championship or lower level sides. Let them do it at Villa if weíre down there.

Iíd like to see us build a fkn good side without throwing cash at average players. I would much rather we stay up and we can still and I reckon it might be Bournemouth and Watford going down with Norwich. But if we do go down, letís try and build something on proper foundations. Might take 2 or 3 seasons, but how good would it be to storm back into the prem with a quality team of young players coming into their prime? Iíd love to see that. Last seasonís promotion wasnít really sustainable was it?  Letís do it properly next time if we have to do it again.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 02.09.2019
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 08:58:54 PM »
I started having a debate with someone who commented that it was Grealish that got us up last season and Smith was nothing more than a chancer who got lucky by having Jack. I then realised the debate wasn't worth it as we were going round in circles. A manager can have a wealth of options with players and not get it right.

Still, it'd be boring if we all thought the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal