collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where Did It All Go Wrong....  (Read 25268 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Where Did It All Go Wrong....
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2020, 02:04:55 AM »
It all went wrong when they didn't replace Smith at Xmas, we have gotten worse as the seasons got on. Owners must take some blame for this.

We absolutely should have replaced Smith around the new year. The cup run maybe clouded the judgement of those running the club. I don't think we have ever looked comfortable in the Premier league this time around since day one.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »
I agree, I think I predicted a finish of fourth from bottom and within 3/4 games I decided we’d really struggle, the teams we played just seemed so much better organised, quicker and stronger. The division has moved on massively in the years we were away and we were always going to struggle to integrate a big number of players new to the league. I guess that’s one of the reasons it doesn’t hurt so much, it’s been pretty much expected.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:31 AM »
Here’s a thought to leave you with.

The day FSG purchased Liverpool FC less than 10 years ago, they were 7th in League, Villa were 6th. We’ve been criminally managed and run, scandalous.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2020, 11:04:35 AM »

The day FSG purchased Liverpool FC less than 10 years ago, they were 7th in League, Villa were 6th. We’ve been criminally managed and run, scandalous.

It's the biggest fuck up in football yet we tend to hear more about Sunderland's decline than ours.

It's a complete joke. We are like a different club.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »

:'(

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2020, 11:23:59 AM »

This is the crux of it ...3 owners since Ellis, 100's of millions in wages and fees, Massive turn over of players and managers and we have gotten worse.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
In a world of ‘if onlys’ I always go back to if Lerner bought us a season or two before, we would have been richer than almost anyone and I think that would have made a hell of a difference. As it was there were other billionaires buying clubs with even deeper pockets.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
Seems like we can never get in that marquee player/manager who can change perceptions of the club.

You look at the 90s when Chelsea and Arsenal got in Gullit and Bergkamp. Man. City got in Robinho the day after their takeover. That didn't work out so well but it did show those owners would be prepared to break the bank for a regular starter at Real Madrid.

You go back to 2009 and we were apparently interested in Wesley Snejider. A year later he'd won the CL and was world cup runner up with Holland voted one of the best players in the world. I doubt he has sleepless nights about not wanting to join us. A year later though Spurs signed Van der Vaart and he helped push them miles ahead of us.

I get the London factor and all that but it's frustrating when you see other midlands based clubs sign good quality international players who are happy to live in this area.

Probably the last world renowned player we signed in his prime was Carew. We got him in January 2007. Every time we get new owners I keep thinking they'll go out and make a statement signing but it never happens and that is part of the reason we can never kick on in the modern era.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »

I'ts fucking awful but all goes to show how cyclical things are and that we can get there again.

Since then, Leicester (Last won, never), Liverpool (89/90) and Man City x4 (67/68) have won the league.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2020, 07:10:38 PM »
In a world of ‘if onlys’ I always go back to if Lerner bought us a season or two before, we would have been richer than almost anyone and I think that would have made a hell of a difference. As it was there were other billionaires buying clubs with even deeper pockets.

If he'd bought us earlier we could have been up there before Manchester City got going. Even if he'd bought us a few years later we wouldn't have had so much expectation from a mere billionaire.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »
Having a chairman who ostracised a whole squad of English and European Champions created a national media with no former players either then or since having a deep public affection for this football club.

There is no old boys network of Villa Men and it continues to hold us back in every respect in comparison to our peers.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2020, 08:31:02 PM »
Very interesting point there Lucky Eddie. We do have Ian Taylor but I know exactly what you mean. Southgate is one obvious example of the kind of thing you are referring to.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #252 on: July 15, 2020, 08:43:32 PM »
I've been saying it for years - there are no men in grey suits to advise behind the scenes, no Grand Old Man of Villa Park to reassure the common herd and there are no self-appointed PR men to push our case in the media.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #253 on: July 15, 2020, 08:45:48 PM »
It went wrong at Christmas, just before the transfer window opened, Smith should have gone and we should have found a manger with one task in mind, survival, in my opinion Purslow should have gone with Smith judging by his statement that he made live on TV regarding the restart of the season, the man is a fool.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #254 on: July 16, 2020, 12:09:35 AM »
What statement was this?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal