collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where Did It All Go Wrong....  (Read 25254 times)

Offline Nastylee

Re: Where Did It All Go Wrong....
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2020, 11:06:19 PM »
January transfer window. Only Villa could end January with a worse squad than they had on New Year's Day.

Terrible business that ultimately cost us.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2020, 11:09:34 PM »
The injuries to Heaton and Wes. Smith persisting in what was patently not working. The lack of opportunities for the better academy players such as Archer, Ramsey and Vassilev to be given a chance to show that they are better than Davis etc.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2020, 11:12:16 PM »
Jack Woodward being re-employed to commentate.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2020, 12:29:24 AM »
How true that last comment was! He is truly awful.

Though at least he's not Jonathan Moss...

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2020, 04:54:29 AM »
Said earlier, we've never recovered from not holding on at home to Liverpool.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
As for this season, there’s quite a few games we could point to.

It’s still Southampton away for me, but here’s another - Man City at home.

A game everyone expected us to lose, which we duly did, but the manner of it really worried me. A side that gave up and literally hid. The sixth goal displayed everything you needed to see to understand the mess we were getting into. There were no leaders out there and that carried on, well, Up until last night I suppose.

When we played City up there, we did really well. We’d held them quite easily up until half time and had some chances of our own. They upped a gear second half but 3-0 flattered them and we’d done alright.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2020, 01:49:01 PM »

We comfortably beat Newcastle and got a 2-2 at Old Trafford a few weeks later.

That said the extra point would be useful currently.

Leicester at home was a worse defeat for many reasons and we had a really poor xmas period.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2020, 02:13:03 PM »

We comfortably beat Newcastle and got a 2-2 at Old Trafford a few weeks later.

That said the extra point would be useful currently.

Leicester at home was a worse defeat for many reasons and we had a really poor xmas period.

Southampton at home was worse than the Leicester drubbing, it was pitiful against what was then a team that looked to be headed down.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2020, 02:15:04 PM »
The Arsenal game was a shocker.

We were winning, they were down to 10 men and we still lost. And they scored a goal that shouldn't have stood and we were denied a clear penalty.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2020, 02:22:51 PM »
Not learning anything from the last 15+ years.  We always end up with resources yet don't appear to have the basic structures/teams in place to maximise effective use of them. We must be one of the biggest spending clubs in the world over the last 15 years yet it has got us nowhere.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2020, 02:25:05 PM »
Jack Woodward being re-employed to commentate.
LOL. I'm sure he's a lovely bloke but I can't stand listening to him. His voice fills me with dread.  Probably linked to him commentating on a significant portion of our recent shitness.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2020, 03:51:09 PM »
Any team starting the season with a strikeforce of Wesley, El Ghazi and Trez plus a part time Assistant Coach with responsibilities for the defence should expect to seriously struggle. Add to that a squad that seem just happy to be PL players and living the PL lifestyle, new pad, couple of cars and an Instagram account, it's little surprise we are where we are. No hunger, no desire to improve, no team collective, poor leadership on and off the pitch, the 'lets rely on Jack, he's ace and we'll easily stay up' mentality lasted longer than it should.

Now we see the result of close to £150m thrown down the drain, the financial impact of a return to the Championship having already spent our PL season's reward, no doubt losing our best players for half the values they had at Christmas, stuck with a bunch of expensively bought crap on long contracts and a Coach and staff that need to be paid off their long contracts and replaced.

As things stand, we couldn't have made a worse job of it if we'd tried. It's been a disaster.The only positive from the season has been our fans. Everything else has been crap and Purslow has to take full responsibility. This shit happened on his watch.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2020, 04:22:57 PM »
To me, the key thing with the Leicester game was that it was the last time we started a game with Heaton, Mings, McGinn, Grealish and Wesley. We’ve been without at least two of them for every game bar one since then (which we won).

They all have their faults, but make a reasonable spine to our team so to be without that for so long is not ideal.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2020, 04:25:58 PM »
I have spent some of the the day thinking about how stressful following Villa is. I have worked out that in 40 years of following the club I have witnessed twenty five years in the top ten of the table mainly striving for Europe but also three attempts at promotion, two successful and one ending in play off defeat. Add to that two relegations and thirteen successful relegation battles. I reckon in forty years we have only had seven or eight seasons without anything riding on it regarding points towards the end of the league season and in two of those seasons we were concentrating on the European Cup in 1982 and the Coca Cola cup in 1994. Never a dull moment being a Villa fan.

Offline ClarrieBlue

« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2020, 04:30:57 PM »
I have spent some of the the day thinking about how stressful following Villa is. I have worked out that in 40 years of following the club I have witnessed twenty five years in the top ten of the table mainly striving for Europe but also three attempts at promotion, two successful and one ending in play off defeat. Add to that two relegations and thirteen successful relegation battles. I reckon in forty years we have only had seven or eight seasons without anything riding on it regarding points towards the end of the league season and in two of those seasons we were concentrating on the European Cup in 1982 and the Coca Cola cup in 1994. Never a dull moment being a Villa fan.
I have often thought this myself. We very rarely have just a mid table, run of the mill season. That was what I was hoping for this year. Oh Well !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal