collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where Did It All Go Wrong....  (Read 25264 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Where Did It All Go Wrong....
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
Every club in the Championship had loan players last season. Presumably they were all in false positions, or is this something that only affects the Villa?
I don’t care about the others Dave. I only care about us. What cannot be denied is we won promotion on Tammys goals. Then we lost him and we don’t look like scoring again this season. We look certs for relegation which I’ll argue that we wouldn’t be if Tammy was our number 9. Back to the name of this thread ”where did it all go wrong”  losing Tammy is high on my list. I don’t like loans for that reason. We won promotion due to another clubs player.

And if we were the only club in the Championship not to use loan players, and as a result finished twelfth in perpetuity, what would you say then?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:26:14 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Allan C

« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2020, 08:23:33 PM »
Every club in the Championship had loan players last season. Presumably they were all in false positions, or is this something that only affects the Villa?
I don’t care about the others Dave. I only care about us. What cannot be denied is we won promotion on Tammys goals. Then we lost him and we don’t look like scoring again this season. We look certs for relegation which I’ll argue that we wouldn’t be if Tammy was our number 9. Back to the name of this thread ”where did it all go wrong”  losing Tammy is high on my list. I don’t like loans for that reason. We won promotion due to another clubs player.

And if we were the only club in the Championship not to use loan players, and as a result finished twelfth in perpetuity, what would you say then?
Yes  your right of course. But really, are we much better off now standing on the edge of a return to the Championship without Tammys goals? Maybe my point is we were too reliant on a loan player in such a key position and then lose him. When we needed his goals most, he was performing for Chelsea

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »
As others have said, if it wasn’t for Chelsea’s own issues, we might have had a good chance of keeping Tammy.

I remember when they interviewed him on the pitch after the POF and asked him if he might stay, he just said “never say never”.

richtheholtender

« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2020, 12:10:17 AM »
If we’re solely looking at this season I would point out the dropped points at home to Burnley. They huffed and puffed finally got ahead and the blew it like 90 seconds later. Them 2 points would be invaluable now.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2020, 12:42:41 AM »
Tammy has gone off the boil for Chelsea even with good players around him, not sure how well he would have done in a Villa shirt with the lack of talent we have.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »
If we’re solely looking at this season I would point out the dropped points at home to Burnley. They huffed and puffed finally got ahead and the blew it like 90 seconds later. Them 2 points would be invaluable now.

Yes, I think that game wounded me more than most and I came away thinking we're going to struggle if we can't put away a game like that.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2020, 08:54:18 AM »
The one that broke my heart was the stupid defeat by Bournemouth at home.  Full house, VP rocking, back in the Premiership still euphoric from the Wembley play off final.  An exprienced, mature England international goalkeeper gives away a needless penalty in front of the Holte in the first minute.  Suddenly the old, insecure, inferiority riddled Villa were back.  This has been the season from hell.  I have done several relegations, including down to the third division but the sheer endless agony of uncertainty makes this the worst.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2020, 08:57:57 AM »
The one that broke my heart was the stupid defeat by Bournemouth at home.  Full house, VP rocking, back in the Premiership still euphoric from the Wembley play off final.  An exprienced, mature England international goalkeeper gives away a needless penalty in front of the Holte in the first minute.  Suddenly the old, insecure, inferiority riddled Villa were back.  This has been the season from hell.  I have done several relegations, including down to the third division but the sheer endless agony of uncertainty makes this the worst.
Agree Brian, I was there and got stick for saying those are the sort of incidents that can have a lasting effect.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2020, 09:20:10 AM »
Billings could and should have been sent off 3 times over that day.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2020, 09:37:37 AM »

Yes  your right of course. But really, are we much better off now standing on the edge of a return to the Championship without Tammys goals? Maybe my point is we were too reliant on a loan player in such a key position and then lose him. When we needed his goals most, he was performing for Chelsea

Resolution - you only want to see us loan players if there's a buy-out clause inserted into the contract?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2020, 10:18:41 AM »
Loaning Tammy was brilliant for us.  There was always a chance he wasn't coming back.  Which is fine too; you just have to replace him properly, like when any player leaves.  That's the bit we fucked right up.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
Loaning Tammy was brilliant for us.  There was always a chance he wasn't coming back.  Which is fine too; you just have to replace him properly, like when any player leaves.  That's the bit we fucked right up.
Yes exactly  even better would have been not having to replace him at all

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »
Billings could and should have been sent off 3 times over that day.
It was only after about the 5th bookable offence did the ref decide to sub him.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:51 AM »

Steve Harmison, Brisbane, 2006.

Offline cdward

« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2020, 10:41:16 AM »
I did enjoy the january transfer window when Tammy was linked with Wolves, and their fans were gloating about how he would dump us and join them.
For him to choose Championship Villa over Premier League Wolves was a great moment, and that was also a good example of where it all went right.
If he had left us then, we would still be in the championship now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal