collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where Did It All Go Wrong....  (Read 25262 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Where Did It All Go Wrong....
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2020, 12:11:42 AM »
We all wanted Bowen but I think FFP was against us. We needed a striker more.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2020, 12:14:50 AM »
In spades.  Replaced an England striker with one who does not like heading the ball.  How bad do you have to be in football before you get a boot up the arse.
It’s why I don’t like loaning players. In effect we gave our leading international class goal scorer for about 30 years a free transfer
We probably wouldn't have came up without him.  I'd say we got a bloody good deal there.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2020, 06:28:51 AM »
We overpay very average footballers!

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:35 AM »
Too many different and interconnected reasons for the decline over the last 10 years to list them all outside of a book.

This season? Main reason is player turnover. You're not gonna have any sort of squad cohesion when you've got 16 players arriving, and the same amount leaving. Add in a big COVID shaped break and we were always behind everyone else. Obviously not much we could do about that given the circumstances leading up to the mass arrivals/departures but no sensible club has that sort of squad instability if they can help it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
That twat Rudiger randomly deciding to kick the ball out for a corner yesterday.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »
In spades.  Replaced an England striker with one who does not like heading the ball.  How bad do you have to be in football before you get a boot up the arse.
It’s why I don’t like loaning players. In effect we gave our leading international class goal scorer for about 30 years a free transfer

Also happened with Darren Bent who wasn't a loan.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2020, 10:15:31 PM »
We probably wouldn't have came up without him.  I'd say we got a bloody good deal there.
I don’t think there’s any probably about it. What it did do was create a false position which came home to roost with Tammy’s ineffectual replacement.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2020, 10:18:22 PM »
What false position?

Offline myf

« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »
in terms of this season I would say Bournemouth away.  After we beat Watford it should have been comfortable. massively distracted by the league cup run

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2020, 10:55:45 AM »
The biggest, most frustrating, irony of the lot is that when we did have relatively big money to spend we gave it to the most myopic managers imaginable.

Or management teams who have completely got it wrong.  Last summer and this January being a prime example, along with our first season after relegation. 

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
From the moment John McGinn wasn’t given the penalty at Spurs day 1 we lost any promotion momentum and confidence. The stupid Heaton penalty against Bournemouth followed by a deflected second. We had many early season opportunities just to get a few extra points but through either VAR/refereeing blunder when in position to do so we couldn’t take them. We been chasing ever since to keep up with the point a game needed for survival.
The Southampton and Bournemouth away performances though showed that we almost didn’t care, for those alone we deserve to go down, any sense of fight in those games would have given us at least 4 extra points.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2020, 01:36:18 PM »
For this season it's a combination of an inexperienced (at PL level) manager who has looked out of his depth, a "talent" recruiter who mistakes unpolished turds for rough diamonds, and a Chief Exec/Owners who sanctioned over payments for mediocre/piss poor players and were not ruthless enough when the writing was on the wall months ago.

It's almost as if we planned for another stint in the Champioship...

Prior to that, well it was that idiot Lerner that started it all, one insane cock up after another culminating in a sale to Tony cheap shoes the charlatan from China.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:52:22 PM by ktvillan »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
The biggest, most frustrating, irony of the lot is that when we did have relatively big money to spend we gave it to the most myopic managers imaginable.

This is the root of my immense dislike of O'Neill, less to do with the way he left, that was just typical of the man and  I was glad to see the back of him.  It's the arrogantly short-sighted way he took advantage of Lerner's well-financed stupidity to piss away the family silver chasing 6th spot.  That was the best chance we ever had of establishing ourselves as a CL level club. He blew it.

Offline NorthYvillan

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »

This is the root of my immense dislike of O'Neill, less to do with the way he left, that was just typical of the man and  I was glad to see the back of him.  It's the arrogantly short-sighted way he took advantage of Lerner's well-financed stupidity to piss away the family silver chasing 6th spot.  That was the best chance we ever had of establishing ourselves as a CL level club. He blew it.

My feelings exactly

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »

My feelings exactly

Seconded.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal