collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by SamTheMouse
[Today at 12:43:35 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Wolves Pre Match Thread  (Read 11304 times)

Online Skerra

Re: Aston Villa v Wolves Pre Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2020, 12:04:01 AM »
I wonder if the Holy Trinity of wins v Wolves, Liverpool and Manure and the 9 points will come to pass..... If only Aston Villa did football!!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2020, 12:25:51 AM »
Wolves last won an away game by more than a goal on 5th October so even though they have better players we'd have to defend really badly to get hammered.

I think they'll win but similar to how Chelsea game panned out feels logical.

They beat West Ham 2-0 away last weekend.

Sorry before the weekend game I forgot to put! Still just two away games in six months, don't think they won any in August or September. They won 2-1 at Norwich and Bournemouth so they do just enough in these games.

Even the West Ham game they didn't threaten much until they scored. Our trouble is last 30 minutes whne against good opposition we really start to flag badly and offer little in way of attacks and that's the period where Adama is coming into his own currently.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2020, 12:27:49 AM »
The way a team like Wolves play is our worst nightmare, quick, skilful, hit you on the break with pace. We really wont have a clue so I'm expecting to get absolutely battered here.

0-3 the the Dogheads while their weird fans try to stir up that strange, stalker like, faux rivalry that those desperate to be relevant fans always try with us, see also Coventry City.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2020, 01:45:29 AM »
We’re saved lads and lasses, Drinkwater and Lansbury are both in contention for Saturday. Get in!!!

I'm on the edge of my seat.

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2020, 04:48:59 AM »
Predicting a win for us but there's a wide ocean between hope and experience here.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2020, 05:44:28 AM »
I wonder if we will make a couple of subs on 60 minutes.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2020, 05:59:08 AM »
You mean Trez for AEG.... or for some variety AEG for Trez?

Offline jeowje

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2020, 07:28:16 AM »
I’d have fancied us for this one with the Holte roaring us on, but in a soulless, clinical atmosphere I think they’ll be too good for us technically and pass us off the park like Chelsea. But swings and roundabouts, think we may well have lost at Newcastle against a partisan crowd... hope I’m wrong though, would love to beat this lot!

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2020, 07:52:05 AM »
-------------Nyland
Elmo, Hause, Mings, Taylor
--------------Luiz
------TBC----Nakamba
-----------Grealish
-------Davis, Samatta

I wouldn't be totally against Mings or Hause at left back either with Konsa in the middle. But we can't have Targett there getting destroyed by Traore without even putting up a fight or limping off like he did earlier in the season.

No Trez, no AEG, no McGinn, no Targett . Maybe Drinky or Ramsey for the TBC slot

I would consider three at the back for this one.  Targett isolated 1v1 against their wide players is not a great prospect and if him and Elmohamady play as wing backs, we might at least get some decent balls into the box. 

Think McGinn is miles off the pace and needs drop to the bench, so would bring Marvelous back in for this one to play alongside Luiz and with Grealish in front of them.  Go with two up top, as we're getting very little from either Teezeguet (think he probably needs to put that nickname away now) or El Ghazi out wide.

Agree with this. It would be pure negligence to allow another Targett vrs Traore match up! Just hope through luck more than intent, Smith has found more or less his 11 for the run in, in that last 10 mins at Newcastle. Can’t have the wingers anywhere near the team.

They are far better than us in every single department and their manager is far more tactically astute and seemingly more motivationally inspiring.

I predict us 2 them 1, cuz we need it and football sometimes does this.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2020, 08:31:44 AM »
Yeah, I’d agree with those saying three at the back, matching them up somewhat. I’d ideally like to see something like a 4-3-1-2 going forward but that would be a bit suicidal against Wolves with the wings back and Traore.

Would say we need to have Hourihane in the team though - unless we suddenly start being a lot better and more creative in attack - his set pieces look pretty much our best chance of a goal at the moment.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
Yeah, I’d agree with those saying three at the back, matching them up somewhat. I’d ideally like to see something like a 4-3-1-2 going forward but that would be a bit suicidal against Wolves with the wings back and Traore.

Would say we need to have Hourihane in the team though - unless we suddenly start being a lot better and more creative in attack - his set pieces look pretty much our best chance of a goal at the moment.

Three at the back against these is a mistake. Don't try and match them, disrupt them. If they can't smack a long diagonal into the space behind your wing back, you've cut off most of their threat, and they end up trying to shuffle the ball on the edge of the box till Neves can have a dig.

They're an oddity in the top flight, but the best way to beat them is probably with a straight up 442 and to get a bit direct and physical with them. Pretty much like wor Steve did with them when we battered them in the second division.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2020, 08:42:09 AM »
-------------Nyland
Elmo, Hause, Mings, Taylor
--------------Luiz
------TBC----Nakamba
-----------Grealish
-------Davis, Samatta

I wouldn't be totally against Mings or Hause at left back either with Konsa in the middle. But we can't have Targett there getting destroyed by Traore without even putting up a fight or limping off like he did earlier in the season.

No Trez, no AEG, no McGinn, no Targett . Maybe Drinky or Ramsey for the TBC slot

Exactly this team for me, Hourihane in the TBC slot.  If we start either AEG or Trez I think I’ll cry.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2020, 09:23:03 AM »
Our coaching staff should be out on the training ground drilling our defenders about keeping their shape after their collective brain fart for Newcastles goal. With this in mind I'm going for Aston Villa 2 Tipton Tramps 1.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2020, 09:50:45 AM »
I wonder if we will make a couple of subs on 60 minutes.

Only if we're losing.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2020, 09:51:36 AM »
3511 for this
                    Nyland
          Konsa Hause Mings
 Elmo McGinn Luiz Connor Targett
                    Jack
                  Samatta

However i fully expect: