collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Newcastle v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 16773 times)

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
Re: Newcastle v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »
For the second game running our defenders failed to organise quickly enough after substitutions leaving players unmarked. Other than that we probably should have won but wasted chances again. Grealish, McGinn and Luiz all had good games. We are marginally better off than we were before the restart so I still think we have a reasonable chance of avoiding relegation.

2nd Game running the opposition have made subs before us that have changed game and we had had to react

FH we were mostly decent and should of scored , 2h we didn't start that well and to me at least it was obvious we needed to change things but we sit and wait and game changes in that period.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
that's exactly the MO of every recent Villa manager - too little too late.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
If people are thinking Drinkwater coming back is the answer then Christ knows what the question is and we are in a far worst state than even I thought we were.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2020, 01:17:31 PM »
Whilst watching the highlights of the game I was distracted by how much Miguel Almiron looks like Dr Sheldon Cooper off of The Big Bang Theory.
And El Ghazi plays football like Penny would.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2020, 02:39:11 PM »
Whilst watching the highlights of the game I was distracted by how much Miguel Almiron looks like Dr Sheldon Cooper off of The Big Bang Theory.
And El Ghazi plays football like Penny would.

I don't rate Penny either. ;)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2020, 02:52:28 PM »
If people are thinking Drinkwater coming back is the answer then Christ knows what the question is and we are in a far worst state than even I thought we were.
I forgot we had him to be honest. Oh great!

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2020, 06:07:24 PM »
Seems to me that Mings, Hause, Konsa and Targett were all culpable for the goal...

Here Targett would be better placed behind Carroll even though he is unlikely to win a header. As he is in front, Mings is pulled over to challenge for anything behind Carroll, which forces Hause to cover St.M. Konsa is in position as if Hause were where he would normally be...

Konsa then fails to appreciate Hause's position (and Gayle's) and doesn't read the play until it's too late (Mings is now useless, neither pressing or dropping)...

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »
Id put money on trez being signed based on our owner’s influence.
Yeah I make you right there. Neither Trez nor El Ghazi are PL standard players. Imagine the difference some quality wide players could have made to our season. How much influence does Smith have on squad recruitment? That seems to be the million dollar question.
I do not think Sawiris had anything to do with it. I doubt it if he even knew that Mahmoud Hassan was a footballer.
After analysing all possible reasons for signing him the only plausible explanation is the influence of Mr Sawiris so it must be right.

# I think that's called Occam's Razor. (I learnt that on here)

Didn’t Elmo recommend him? - which has killed his future scouting career.

If so, we haven’t learned our lesson from Petrov - Tonev that buying an unknown player due to a recommendation from a fellow countryman may not be the best idea!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2020, 06:58:59 PM »
Seems to me that Mings, Hause, Konsa and Targett were all culpable for the goal...

Here Targett would be better placed behind Carroll even though he is unlikely to win a header. As he is in front, Mings is pulled over to challenge for anything behind Carroll, which forces Hause to cover St.M. Konsa is in position as if Hause were where he would normally be...

Konsa then fails to appreciate Hause's position (and Gayle's) and doesn't read the play until it's too late (Mings is now useless, neither pressing or dropping)...

Mings goes out of position and does nothing, if he decides to go when there are other bodies out there he has to deal with it.
As the play develops Konsa allows Gale to get ball and goal side of him.
But the problem starts with a Mings.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2020, 11:05:35 PM »

Mings goes out of position and does nothing, if he decides to go when there are other bodies out there he has to deal with it.
As the play develops Konsa allows Gale to get ball and goal side of him.
But the problem starts with a Mings.
The second still picture there highlights just how bad our defending has become at times. Any coach worth his salt would look at that tear strips off the defenders.What the fuck happened to our shape there? It's criminally bad. Just what the hell is John Terry doing with them at the training ground? Dwight Gayle is known to us and has previous in scoring against us. He came onto the pitch and just strolled into our penalty area with only Konsa showing even the slightest awareness of the danger. Once again it would appear that we have backroom staff coasting through a highly paid stint at Villa Park.

Offline The Fish

« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2020, 10:01:04 AM »
Hi I take it you're a Tooner and it's a very fair post. We should have been leading at HT. Once Grealish got going your were done for  but unfortunately he couldn't be bothered till the last quarter and that also coincided with when Maximin faded out of the match. Overall a dreadful match and Bruce still sticking with football that makes your eyes bleed. Good luck with the takeover. We  dislike Ashley as much as you do.
I think Grealish was being specifically targeted in our initial set up. He's clearly your most dangerous player. When we made our subs, that freed up Grealish to impose himself more on the game.

Last sentence surprised me, why do you dislike Ashley?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2020, 12:13:08 AM »
Yes, we should have won the game, based on the first thirty minutes and the strong finish. But when you can't score from good chances -Ally from El-Ghazi's perfect cross- and you insist on making comedic errors at the back, you can't expect to win.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal