collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Newcastle v Aston Villa Post Match Thread  (Read 16786 times)

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: Newcastle v Aston Villa Post Match Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »
How the fuck that team beat Sheff Utd 3-0 is beyond me.

Didnt Toon score all 3 goals after a red card a few minutes after halftime?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2020, 08:10:13 PM »
Since we beat Leicester in January (!) we’ve played 8 won 0 drawn 2 lost 6.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2020, 08:11:48 PM »
I've been to St James Park Close to 30 times and I've seen us win twice. It's one of our biggest grave yards going. A point up there is decent.

Against a mediocre team with no home fans to give them an advantage, it was arguably our best chance in years to beat them.

Best we've played up there since O'Leary. Post Small Heath beating at Villa Park and Bowyer and Dyer fighting on the pitch.

Certainly wanted to win, tried to win, but we didn't get beat. If we'd found a way to do that more in the season, we'd not be in half the bother.

How we play at this stage of the season is utterly irrelevant if we don't win.  2 points from the last 21 now, a million miles from being good enough, and just the small matter of Wolves, Man U and Liverpool next, which will make it two points out of 30.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2020, 08:12:32 PM »
Not too bad first half but we really only looked like scoring in the second half when he changed it. Deserved a point but that was it.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2020, 08:13:14 PM »
Better game management against Spurs twice, Arsenal and Liverpool and we’d be in a better position now.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2020, 08:13:47 PM »
Yeah we’re not actually playing that badly but bizarrely we seem to be playing tighter and containing teams better at the point of the season when it’s sod all good to us and we need to be going all out for wins.

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2020, 08:14:02 PM »
We are prone to ( at least) one defensive f**k up a game. Three defenders within six feet of Carrol leaving Gayle one on one. Whoever is supposed to be organising the defence on the pitch needs stringing up. In hindsight big mistake not signing Cahill.

Thought we looked ok going forward and more likely to score.

They were there for the taking. Should have been two up in 20 minutes.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2020, 08:14:09 PM »
I dont want smith to have anything to do with the Grealish (£80m) Mings (£40m) and Mcginn (£35m) money in a few weeks time.
Hopefully he’ll be long gone.

Offline supertom

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »
Mings terrifies me. It's not the fact he's got a rick in him 3-4 times a game (I love the guy, but if he's England quality, then the national side will be miles off competing) but it's how he has to do everything so fucking awkwardly. A player comes past and he opts to dive in. The comfortable way and most logical would be to use your right foot. He stretches out his left. In the first half he managed to get the ball away, in the second half he got done and we thankfully didn't get punished. My worry is that he'll do himself a mischief and be out for months. He's so ungainly and so inefficient in how he uses his body. Can we not get the lummox a ballet teacher or something? Or train him in body positioning? Maybe some Yoga? He's gonna tear his own leg out the fucking socket or obliterate his Achilles or something.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 08:16:59 PM by supertom »

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2020, 08:15:07 PM »
Better game management against Spurs twice, Arsenal and Liverpool and we’d be in a better position now.

Yep and Chelsea. We’ve thrown away so many points. Primarily because Dean consistently adjusts too late, and when he does it looks to have been predetermined.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2020, 08:15:42 PM »
At least we showed some fight and intent.
Perm any 2 from 4 to go down with Norwich.
Watford, Spam and Bournemouth are as poor as us.
Somebody will get a very unexpected/lucky 3 points somewhere.
All to play for, I would have taken 17th at the start of the season and I reckon it's 50/50 we can do it.

UTV !

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2020, 08:15:50 PM »
My only hope for the Liverpool game is that they've won the league against City three days before, and they rest a load of players who will have run themselves into the ground the game before.  There'll be no fan celebration in the ground, and maybe, just maybe we can capitalise.  Slim chance, but there are MUCH worse points in the season to be playing them.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
I am usually as negative as they come but I am really surprised by the negativity tonight.

I reckon 7 points from here could be enough, regardless of how we get them. Can you see West Ham and Bournmouth both getting 7 more points and/or Watford getting 6 more points? It's tough going but we are in with a much better chance of staying up than we were one week ago.

If we gain one more point on 2 teams in the next round of games we are out the drop zone and if things had to stop then we probably avoid relegation.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
We’ve taken 2 points from the last 21. Why are we suddenly going to get 7 out of the next 21?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2020, 08:19:31 PM »
Yes with Wolves, Liverpool and Man Utd up next I see three defeats.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal