collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864401 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8535 on: October 01, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »
The point about Watkins' movement allowing us to play ten yards up the pitch is a really good one.

Agreed. His work ethic is such that defenders are going to be much more tired after playing against him, too. So young Keinan may find more joy coming off the bench to play against defenders that are knackered.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8536 on: October 01, 2020, 01:13:46 PM »
Mate, just wait one day ffs.

For??

Jim White has just said on TS that Purslow told him last night we are done this window now.

I was replying to paul e. I'm not keen on discussing the demise of players the day they might be playing against us. Bad juju.

I thought it was aimed at me. I'm just pointing out that what I've seen of Chester at Stoke isn't the same player we had in that league and it was the sort of nasty injury that is hard to shake off. but yes, if he plays a blinder tonight I will take full responsibility.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8537 on: October 01, 2020, 01:14:00 PM »
I think we are at 8/10 at the moment. I'm massively impressed with the work rate of Watkins so far, Cash looks potentially good and Traore interesting. Barkley and Martinez are clearly a step up in quality and the both let us play in a different way, so the first 11 is much better. Get Luiz back into form and Konsa keeps progressing we have a mid table starting line up now. And that's without mentioning Jack.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8538 on: October 01, 2020, 01:19:07 PM »
I agree Jim.  There is still some movement to be done with King, Sarr, Buendia, Benrahma and maybe, Rashica.  I can certainly see one of them coming to Villa. Would top off what has been a very good window for us. I feel we are now so much more competitive.

Can't see us spending another 40M on Sarr. The others are all possible, think we are after another Winger still

I'm not so sure now we've signed Barkley, I'd thought they may move Jack back into the middle but that's not likely now. Can't see us splashing out on another wide player, would potentially leave 2 new signings plus Trez scrapping for one shirt.

I still think there's space even if Jack dosen't move back as looks like a short term plan will be to move Traore up there if Watkins and Davis are unavailable at the same which after last season's events isn't some impossible situation.

So in that situation Trez or El Ghazi would be starting again or whoever else we can get in.

Edit: Looks like the short term plan is just to hold onto everyone bar two of the keepers until January and then I think we'll see 6-7 leave due to a few of them having 6 months left on their contract at that point.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:23:52 PM by SoccerHQ »

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #8539 on: October 01, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »
I think we are still a bit light in attack but that would be enough incomings now for me, it will be difficult to bring more into the squad now.

Some good business from us, I also hope to see a few of the kids come through as well

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #8540 on: October 01, 2020, 01:40:14 PM »
Daniel Sturridge is available for free. Would he be worth considering as a back up striker option if the contract was heavily weighted towards appearances?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8541 on: October 01, 2020, 01:41:28 PM »
Hell, no.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8542 on: October 01, 2020, 01:42:48 PM »
The point about Watkins' movement allowing us to play ten yards up the pitch is a really good one.

Agreed. His work ethic is such that defenders are going to be much more tired after playing against him, too. So young Keinan may find more joy coming off the bench to play against defenders that are knackered.

And his movement is really clever as well. Almost Vardy-esque at times, and frankly I have no higher praise.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8543 on: October 01, 2020, 01:43:06 PM »
I think there is a danger trying to change things too quickly. Happy with what we have done. The team and squad is getting stronger.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8544 on: October 01, 2020, 01:47:14 PM »
We need another forward. It’s not enough with Wes likely out until the new year and losing Samatta that we only have Watkins as our recognized forward. I would like to see us add an experienced striker or we will be exactly where we were last season with too much pressure on Wes. Ollie is going to experience frustration at PL level and he needs to pushed and helped as he adjusts.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #8545 on: October 01, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »
I think there is a danger trying to change things too quickly. Happy with what we have done. The team and squad is getting stronger.

Not sure if Traore is a genuine option as a central striker, but if not, I would be tempted to go for another striker even if it is only a loan until Wesley comes back.  Should El Ghazi or Engels go though, I think they would need replacing.

Think we are in pretty decent shape now though and the next few transfer windows should only require the odd addition here and there.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8546 on: October 01, 2020, 01:53:52 PM »
well if we are done, I think we have bought extremely well - we are a striker and a defender light but can't have everything.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #8547 on: October 01, 2020, 01:55:26 PM »
i can see King coming in for the reported £10m if we shift a few.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8548 on: October 01, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
With the squad we have now, King for £10m would be a very decent bit of business.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8549 on: October 01, 2020, 02:06:58 PM »
The domestic window will remain open until the 16th so there will likely be a few deals done yet. There are some very good players in the Championship that will look to move. Limited commercial revenues will mean clubs will look to cash in on some assets by the end of the window.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal