collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864470 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8520 on: October 01, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
The big problem there is how many decent players would be willing to be third or fourth choice for a team whose ambition is still only mid-table safety?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #8521 on: October 01, 2020, 12:00:34 PM »
The big problem there is how many decent players would be willing to be third or fourth choice for a team whose ambition is still only mid-table safety?

Hopefully ones that are ambitious and confident enough to come in and think that they are good enough to push the current first-teamers into being third or fourth choice.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8522 on: October 01, 2020, 12:03:30 PM »
New signings and the players who've left recently that they've replaced.

Martinez > Reina, Sarkic
Cash > Bree,
Watkins > Baston, Hogan
Traore > Samatta, RHM, Green
Barkley > Drinkwater

We've definitely strengthened.

The only player to leave recently (permanently) that hasn't been replaced directly is James Cjhester, and you'd argue we'd replaced him already.

That's great, though I must say I'd feel a lot better with Chester on the bench.

Chester from 2-3 years ago I'd agree, Chester now is a shadow of that player, he's never going to properly recover from that injury.

Yeah that's probably fair. Still, never mind our attack - I look at our backline and think, Christ, what if Mings or Konsa gets injured? We've only just learned how to defend recently.

Cash - Guilbert, Elmo
Konsa - Engels, Elmo
Mings - Hause,
Targett - Taylor, Hause

We're going to struggle to get better reserves in I'd have thought.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8523 on: October 01, 2020, 12:05:30 PM »
I suppose everyone trusts Engels and Elmo more than I do. Still, hope I'm wrong, which tbf recently is quite the habit of mine.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8524 on: October 01, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
I suppose everyone trusts Engels and Elmo more than I do. Still, hope I'm wrong, which tbf recently is quite the habit of mine.

I wouldn't say that, just that where we are, the likelihood of getting someone better in is relatively slim. Engels and Elmo aren't world-beaters but they have both done ok.

Don't get me wrong, if someone were available I'd not say no, but we have to be right.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8525 on: October 01, 2020, 12:29:23 PM »
Engels looked good until he got injured and then he had a couple of shocking performances where I don't think he was fully fit. If he's recovered and we don't have to rush him back then I think he'll be fine as cover.

Aside from the individual players I think our tactical approach to defending is so much better than this time last year that all of them deserve a chance to show they can fit into the new way of playing. Hause, for example, did a good job against Bristol last week to show he has the ability to be cover.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8526 on: October 01, 2020, 12:29:28 PM »

Hopefully ones that are ambitious and confident enough to come in and think that they are good enough to push the current first-teamers into being third or fourth choice.

And how realistic is that given that we've got two £25 million + strikers?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8527 on: October 01, 2020, 12:32:08 PM »

I don't know them well enough, but I'd put my kitbag in the car during the game just in case.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #8528 on: October 01, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »

And how realistic is that given that we've got two £25 million + strikers?

One of them is Wesley, who may have cost that much but certainly is not worth it. They would be competing for a place with Watkins, who can also play as a wide forward and both would get plenty of games. I am not convinced we will buy another, Dean has said he is happy as Traore can play there and he rates Davis (as do I). But if we did go for someone like Josh King (well priced at £10m) I think he would be up for it.

I do think we have enough now though, and the January window is only a few weeks off anyways.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8529 on: October 01, 2020, 12:54:14 PM »

Almost every side in the division is going to struggle with the extended loss of one of their first choice xi, and it's magnified for those who'll probably spend more time looking over their shoulders than not.
By the cosmic law of swings and roundabouts, after losing Heaton, Wes, McGinn and Mings for swathes of last season, we're due a quiet treatment room this time around. We've got cover, though it's still going to be a while before we're nearer a level of parity between our first and second strings when a lot of our matchday squad could be bettered before we even try to improve the quality of their understudy.

That said, I've liked our policy this time around of getting players that will go straight into the first team, nudging the previous incumbent down to 'squad' level or out the door. That's how we'll improve. I don't think there's been too many defenders available that we realistically could've got who'd do the same.

I'm going to balance you out in the universe by going with an optimistic, "I think we'll be okay".

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8530 on: October 01, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »
Diego Costa on loan anyone? Sounds a bit far fetched but that would a cherry on top of a very good transfer window cake.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8531 on: October 01, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »
Diego Costa on loan anyone? Sounds a bit far fetched but that would a cherry on top of a very good transfer window cake.

I'd love the crazy bastard, he'd drive many of those already obsessed with us over the edge.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #8532 on: October 01, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
Guardian seem to think our transfer business has been pretty good:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2020/oct/01/aston-villa-winning-transfer-window-premier-league

Aston Villa are winning the transfer window in the Premier League

A few clubs have invested heavily this summer but none have improved their first XI as much as Villa

By Martin Laurence for WhoScored

Thu 1 Oct 2020 11.04 BST

Chelsea have spent more money than any other Premier League club in the transfer window this summer, signing Hakim Ziyech, Timo Werner, Ben Chilwell, Kai Havertz and Édouard Mendy among others at a cost of £225m, but they are not the only side who have done exceptional business. Tottenham, who knocked them out of the League Cup on Tuesday night, have made some smart additions, upgrading their full-backs while also bringing Gareth Bale back for the season. Everton have improved their midfield dramatically with the acquisitions of Abdoulaye Doucouré, Allan and James Rodríguez.

Nevertheless, Chelsea continue to look unconvincing defensively and we will have to wait and see how well Mendy settles; Tottenham look short in the centre of defence and up front; and Everton would probably like to add a goalkeeper, a right-back and a centre-back in an ideal world.

Aston Villa, however, have made remarkable strides in this transfer window, signing Matty Cash (£16m), Ollie Watkins (£28m), Emiliano Martínez (£20m) and Bertrand Traoré (£17m). The club also agreed new long-term contracts with Tyrone Mings and Jack Grealish, who will delighted to see their fellow England international Ross Barkley join for the season.

Signing a Chelsea squad player may not be the coup of the century but, for a club that only returned to the Premier League last season and stayed up by the skin of their teeth, it’s a big signing, even if only on loan. Barkley has 33 caps for England and he remains in Gareth Southgate’s thinking for the Euros next summer for a reason.

He did not cement a place at Stamford Bridge, but he has impressed in the chances that have come his way. Over the last two seasons only one current Chelsea player has set up more goals in the Premier League than Barkley (Cesar Azpilicueta, who has 12 assists to Barkley’s nine) – despite the fact that Barkley only started 26 of the club’s 78 league matches in that time. Over that spell, Barkley is one of only 12 players in the entire league with a pass accuracy in excess of 90%, and he is comfortably the most attack-minded of that group of players.

Barkley is the statement No 8 that Villa needed and he joins the club alongside a new goalkeeper, right-back, right winger and striker. Martínez has already made his mark between the posts, saving a penalty on his debut and going on to become the first Villa keeper to record back-to-back clean sheets in the Premier League since Brad Guzan in 2014.

Cash has put in two assured displays. He made seven tackles in Villa’s 1-0 win over Sheffield United on Monday – more than any other player in the league over the weekend. Bertrand Traoré enjoyed an impressive debut in the Carabao Cup against Bristol City, even getting on the scoresheet. Watkins has done even better, scoring in both rounds of the cup. He will be desperate to get off the mark in the league, but his movement and tireless work ethic have already helped Villa play 10 yards higher up the pitch and alleviate pressure on the defence. It’s very early days but the signs are hugely encouraging for Villa, who may yet try to add one more player before window closes.

As it stands, however, the club’s new first XI is a massive improvement on a side that was just about good enough to stay up last season. Martínez has replaced Pepe Reina in goal; Cash is now first choice over Frédéric Guilbert; Barkley will likely come in for Conor Hourihane; Traoré will compete and should displace Trézéguet in time; and Watkins comes in for Ally Samatta, who has joined Fenerbahce. No other club in the league has improved in as many areas of the pitch.

After four wins from four to start the season – albeit against modest opposition – the club have gone from third favourites for the drop before the season to seventh favourites to be relegated now. The bookies are now offering the same price for Villa to finish in the top half as in the relegation zone.

Time will tell, but Villa seem to be heading in the right direction and the owners have made their intentions clear. The club has statured and now it has renewed financial backing. Having watched on as Burnley, Leicester, Wolves and Sheffield United finished in the top half of the table last season, Aston Villa have serious ambition once again.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8533 on: October 01, 2020, 01:06:59 PM »
Mate, just wait one day ffs.

For??

Jim White has just said on TS that Purslow told him last night we are done this window now.

I was replying to paul e. I'm not keen on discussing the demise of players the day they might be playing against us. Bad juju.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8534 on: October 01, 2020, 01:10:16 PM »
The point about Watkins' movement allowing us to play ten yards up the pitch is a really good one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal