collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 865073 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8445 on: September 30, 2020, 02:43:07 PM »
Just can't see us getting the players we need. It's probably not realistic to expect us to have decent cover in all areas yet finance wise, but you can all pick players in the team where if you take them out injured and we're in big trouble because the reserves are a massive step down. I think with the centre forward, Smith is going to risk it. It was Wilson or Watkins and not both.

Need for what? What we have now is good enough to finish mid table as long as we're not cursed by long term injuries like last season.

Unless the demand has suddenly gone to imitation of Leicester 15/16 overnight because we've won two games against likely bottom 8 teams.

January 1st is only three months away so we've got enough in squad to get us through the next 3 months even if every position dosen't have huge quality. The schedule isn't even that bad given the league cup QFs are on December 22-23rd so it's basically just one league game a week for next 10 weeks.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8446 on: September 30, 2020, 02:45:20 PM »
My mate,who works in football media (so just an opinion rather than any insider knowledge) messaged me to say that he thought only Chelsea have done better business than us this window. I think I agree. And there's also the delicious possibility that Chelsea could have fucked themselves with £200m worth of flops, which I guess is unlikely.

Is he a Chelsea fan?

Arsenal.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8447 on: September 30, 2020, 02:46:38 PM »
January 2007 was best window in recent times, remember that excitement when we signed Carew and Young on same day? Oh and Phil Bardsley aswell......!

I also liked what we did in Jan 2011 signing Bent, Makoun, Bradley and Kyle Walker on loan but for one reason or another none of them gave us long term benefit but they were the right sort of players for what we needed at the time.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #8448 on: September 30, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
January 2007 was best window in recent times, remember that excitement when we signed Carew and Young on same day? Oh and Phil Bardsley aswell......!

I also liked what we did in Jan 2011 signing Bent, Makoun, Bradley and Kyle Walker on loan but for one reason or another none of them gave us long term benefit but they were the right sort of players for what we needed at the time.

That was shortly after Houllier also brought in Robert Pires  :(

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8449 on: September 30, 2020, 03:05:24 PM »
I can’t think of us having a better window. Maybe the one where we signed Carlos cuellar

2008 summer window was probably the best on paper

Friedel Guzan
Shorey
Sidwell
Luke Young
Milner
Cuellar

Not all worked out

2005 felt like a good one - Baros, Bouma, super kev, Berger, Milner on loan. Then we went and got destoyed by a Harewood masterclass.

1991 where we signed Staunton, Atkinson, Teale, Ugo and Richardson would be pretty hard to top. Regis did well for us that first season as well and Sealey had just won the Cup Winners Cup with Yanited.

Even with selling Platt, it felt like we were on the move.

People were saying 'best business ever' after the summer of 2015, so let's not go overboard.

I remember thinking we'd had brilliant signings for 2-3 years in a row in the mid 90s. 94/95 I seem to remember us picking up a new player every month or so after Little came in and all the older players being moved on.Then we added Savo, Draper and Southgate in the space of about a week the next summer and finally Curcic, a portuguese full back who sounded ace (Nelson) the following summer and Collymore at the end of that season (I think). for teenage me it felt like we were building towards challenging right at the top and those last 3 were going to tip us over into challenging for the title. Sadly Collymore never turned up, Curcic was a fucking mentalist and Nelson was shit and we were on course for a relelgation battle until Gregory came in and had a decent end to the season. I think that was the period where I truly realised what being a Villa fan was going to mean.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #8450 on: September 30, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
I can’t think of us having a better window. Maybe the one where we signed Carlos cuellar

2008 summer window was probably the best on paper

Friedel Guzan
Shorey
Sidwell
Luke Young
Milner
Cuellar

Not all worked out

2005 felt like a good one - Baros, Bouma, super kev, Berger, Milner on loan. Then we went and got destoyed by a Harewood masterclass.

1991 where we signed Staunton, Atkinson, Teale, Ugo and Richardson would be pretty hard to top. Regis did well for us that first season as well and Sealey had just won the Cup Winners Cup with Yanited.

Even with selling Platt, it felt like we were on the move.

People were saying 'best business ever' after the summer of 2015, so let's not go overboard.

I remember thinking we'd had brilliant signings for 2-3 years in a row in the mid 90s. 94/95 I seem to remember us picking up a new player every month or so after Little came in and all the older players being moved on.Then we added Savo, Draper and Southgate in the space of about a week the next summer and finally Curcic, a portuguese full back who sounded ace (Nelson) the following summer and Collymore at the end of that season (I think). for teenage me it felt like we were building towards challenging right at the top and those last 3 were going to tip us over into challenging for the title. Sadly Collymore never turned up, Curcic was a fucking mentalist and Nelson was shit and we were on course for a relelgation battle until Gregory came in and had a decent end to the season. I think that was the period where I truly realised what being a Villa fan was going to mean.
Really similar for me.  For that BFR-Little-Gregory period it felt like Villa were always in a position where winning the league was within touching distance (most of the time).  And yeah, loads of seemingly really good transfers pre-season.  Then, I don't know why, I've not felt the same after that FA Cup Final defeat in 2000.  Even with the relative good years with MON.

Have to say, though, that this season ... I am really optimistic about the future.  Love Dean Smith, love the players at the club, love the atmosphere around the dressing room.  I'm more optimistic than I've been for many, many years.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #8451 on: September 30, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »
Presume we need to shift a few but have to think we’re not finished yet, one more to come I reckon.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #8452 on: September 30, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »
I remember cutting the picture of Savo doing the shirt stretch out of the newspaper.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8453 on: September 30, 2020, 03:41:28 PM »
2020: 'For Auld Lange sign...'

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #8454 on: September 30, 2020, 03:41:56 PM »

[/quote]
Really similar for me.  For that BFR-Little-Gregory period it felt like Villa were always in a position where winning the league was within touching distance (most of the time).  And yeah, loads of seemingly really good transfers pre-season.  Then, I don't know why, I've not felt the same after that FA Cup Final defeat in 2000.  Even with the relative good years with MON.

Have to say, though, that this season ... I am really optimistic about the future.  Love Dean Smith, love the players at the club, love the atmosphere around the dressing room.  I'm more optimistic than I've been for many, many years.
[/quote]

This is exactly how I feel.  Even last season when we were in trouble I always felt optimistic about this group of players and staff - it just feels like for the first time in 20 years we have people at the club who don't just see us as an easy route to a big paycheque.  There have been individuals over the last 20 years who we could get behind (Mellberg, Laursen, Milner etc), but never a team where I've felt there isn't at least a handful who weren't arsed about us as a club.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:44:50 PM by Pat Mustard »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8455 on: September 30, 2020, 03:46:11 PM »
The Little era in particular was so ultimately frustrating. We had big names players who could perform when the occasion demanded, we were turning up at big matches like we belonged. We were one transfer masterstroke away from winning the title, Ferguson said we were the team he was most worried about, but as somebody who played in defence alongside Ugo said, "Every time we took that final step we ended up further away".

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #8456 on: September 30, 2020, 03:51:39 PM »
I wonder how it would have turned out had we not signed Collymore that summer of 97. Don’t get me wrong, I was absolutely buzzing at the time but as we found out he was a costly disaster.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8457 on: September 30, 2020, 03:55:24 PM »
I wonder how it would have turned out had we not signed Collymore that summer of 97. Don’t get me wrong, I was absolutely buzzing at the time but as we found out he was a costly disaster.

I was never that arsed with Collymore, I wanted us to sign Andy Cole, who we had been linked with but was probably realistically never available. But had we done that, we'd have had him and Yorke and we'd have been in the title race.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #8458 on: September 30, 2020, 04:14:49 PM »
I liked the summer of Southgate, Draper and Milosevic.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #8459 on: September 30, 2020, 04:15:07 PM »

I was never that arsed with Collymore, I wanted us to sign Andy Cole, who we had been linked with but was probably realistically never available. But had we done that, we'd have had him and Yorke and we'd have been in the title race.

We could have signed him but at the expense of Yorkie going t'other way.

Collymore was the ultimate damp squib but it was a Statement Signing at the time

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal