collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864847 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7815 on: September 24, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »
Barclay played a fair bit last season (~30 games, plus 8 games in an England shirt) and the season before (~40 games, plus 3 games for England).  I'd be pretty up for taking him.

For me, loan with an option to buy would be perfect.  If he does turn out to be another Drinkwater, we can send him back after a year.  If he fits in well (I think he will), then we've bagged ourselves a good player.  It's also good for Jack, since he'll be forming a partnership with an existing England regular, showing they can play together etc. etc.

Think one thing (of many) that we need to be looking at long term is to put Villa back in a place where, if you're in the Villa first team, there's also a decent chance of being in the England squad too.  I think a good way of doing that is to buy a few existing England internationals.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7816 on: September 24, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
Can I humbly point out that his name isn't Barclay.  Thank you.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7817 on: September 24, 2020, 10:43:06 AM »
Since Kozak retired, financial regulations pun-fests (Libor et al.) have been scant. Really scant. So, I'd give algy a free pass on this.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #7818 on: September 24, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
If you're looking at a loan move you're not gonna get much better than Ross Barkley, not good enough now to start for Chelsea, but would definitely improve our midfield and of course a very experienced Premier League player.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7819 on: September 24, 2020, 10:56:00 AM »
The Athletic's Chelsea reporter says they'd prefer to sell rather than loan. I guess that could feed into his reluctance to come (if indeed there is any).

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7820 on: September 24, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »
I'm getting myself all worked up over Barkley signing now and it's all going to be twitter bollocks isn't ot?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7821 on: September 24, 2020, 11:12:16 AM »
I'm getting myself all worked up over Barkley signing now and it's all going to be twitter bollocks isn't ot?

Think he is most likely to be used as a makeweight as part of the Rice to Chelsea deal. Moyes has managed him before of course.

Chelsea's squad is bloated in the extreme in terms of numbers and they need to get players out. If Rashica isn't coming could we go all out for Hudson-Odoi instead?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #7822 on: September 24, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »
I dont think there is anything particularly awry about the Tatters buying Semedo, Barca are short of a bit of cash and need to get money in and wages off the books so Koeman can bring in his own players, they didn't rate him enough to increase his wages and extend his contract and they've now sold him for over the odds.

Barca are pretty much top of the food chain, they dont sell anyone they want to keep, even if Mendes asks them to.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #7823 on: September 24, 2020, 11:21:30 AM »
The Rashica stuff seems to have gone very quiet.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7824 on: September 24, 2020, 11:22:33 AM »

Think he is most likely to be used as a makeweight as part of the Rice to Chelsea deal. Moyes has managed him before of course.

Chelsea's squad is bloated in the extreme in terms of numbers and they need to get players out. If Rashica isn't coming could we go all out for Hudson-Odoi instead?

Moyes may have managed him before, but they were hardly like Dean and Jack, I'm not sure he'd be too keen to play for him again.

Offline Tony Boucher

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #7825 on: September 24, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »
Unlikely, since it's been reported by the likes of John Percy - that's not to say it's going to happen, but there's a decent chance there's some substance to it

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7826 on: September 24, 2020, 11:23:05 AM »
I'd be disappointed if he chose west ham over us really if it wasn't a London thing. They're in a mess with players slagging off the board, they've basically told the world how skint they are, and if Rice goes he'd be joining a team who've sold their best player. I've always seen Barkley as quite ambitious with a high opinion of his own worth, so fecking off to them would be a bit strange when you can join a side the likes of Grealish in it. Okay so we're a work in progress, but west ham look like they're only going one way.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7827 on: September 24, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »
I'd be disappointed if he chose west ham over us really if it wasn't a London thing. They're in a mess with players slagging off the board, they've basically told the world how skint they are, and if Rice goes he'd be joining a team who've sold their best player. I've always seen Barkley as quite ambitious with a high opinion of his own worth, so fecking off to them would be a bit strange when you can join a side the likes of Grealish in it. Okay so we're a work in progress, but west ham look like they're only going one way.

That's my take on it too, but with £80m from the Rice deal they could afford to give him a fat contract and he wouldn't need to move house. West Ham is a graveyard for once-promising players though.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #7828 on: September 24, 2020, 11:37:01 AM »
The Rashica stuff seems to have gone very quiet.

Which on the basis of last year, likely means it's going to happen.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7829 on: September 24, 2020, 11:45:06 AM »

That's my take on it too, but with £80m from the Rice deal they could afford to give him a fat contract and he wouldn't need to move house. West Ham is a graveyard for once-promising players though.

If you'd heard Sullivan's interview yesterday, there's no way they're paying massive salaries any more.  The £30m for Tarkowski and his wages is all the money they've got, and even that's a stretch.  Even with £80m for Rice, don't think they'd be splashing £20m+ on Barkley and £5m+  year on wages.  They are, to quote PWS, skint pricks.  Their defence is shit, and they're fairly well stocked with attacking players.  If they do sell Rice, they'll end up paying £45m for Tarkowski.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal