collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864633 times)

Offline danno

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7620 on: September 23, 2020, 12:50:19 AM »
At some point a players legs go, nothing that training or diet can do about it.
He is 34 and will not play at this level for much longer.

I see him as similar to Barry who was still playing for Everton at a decent level when he was about 36.

It is similar to when Barry left Man. City for Everton when he was 32/33 and there were rumours he wanted to come back here but Lambert didn't want him and he was excellent generally for Everton.

Would love Milner back. Think he'd fit our midfield really well as he obviously plays a bit more deeper now but still got good energy. Also two years ago played a full season at left back.

Do you see them as similar players?  (Barry and Milner)  I honestly think its like comparing Andy Townsend to Ian Taylor.  Both great players but one is going to age better than the other just down to how they play.

Taylor and Townsend were both still playing in premier league at age of 35 I think.

Milner and Barry both look after themselves superbly, hardly had any major injuries in their career so generally you can last longer at top level if you've got good genes.

Lampard was still pretty good going into his mid 30s while Rooney was pretty much finished as a top level striker as soon as he hit 30.

Hendrie is probably a better example of someone who really peaked as a player at about 25 and then it was a gradual decline bar the odd wonder goal every 3 months.

You are right they did both play in premier league past 35.  Townsend was starting games and playing well for Middlesbrough.  Taylor was picking up more and more injuries. 

Townsend imho aged better than Taylor, just as Scholes aged better than Gerrard and Carrick aged better than Keane. I don't see Milner having the passing range or positioning off the ball to compensate for when physically he starts to decline.

I'd not turn my nose up at him, but I'd rather he be somebody else's problem and player to replace when his legs do start to go

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7621 on: September 23, 2020, 01:52:13 AM »
mentioned this milner story to my Liverpool supporting mate down the pub tonight. He's heard nowt but it was funny to see him go a shade of grey and frantically hit twitter for info after i mentioned it ;D

Ah, the halcyon days of being down the pub discussing transfers with mates.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #7622 on: September 23, 2020, 06:22:13 AM »
The striker options are still light. One or two injuries upfront and we're screwed. We need two more in my opinion.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #7623 on: September 23, 2020, 07:41:24 AM »
With the news yesterday that potentially there will be no crowds until March? the loss of revenue must be huge for the club and with the money that they must be putting into the club to pay wages etc..,this must be costing them a fortune,

I think that the owners may now put the cheque book away (or hide the BACs card).

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #7624 on: September 23, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »
I think Tammy will come in on deadline day but would prefer Eduard as Tammy is too similar to Watkins. Eduard is more of a Benteke mark2

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #7625 on: September 23, 2020, 07:55:40 AM »
Did anyone else on Monday night when Konsa was holding his leg after time wonder if we might still be a bit light on centre halves....with Engels being injured / out of favour permanently is it just Hause as back up to Mings / Konsa? 

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7626 on: September 23, 2020, 08:01:49 AM »
Liverpool Echo ran the story didn't it?

No. It was a spoof site.

Spoof site, spoof twitter, is 2020 a spoof year?

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #7627 on: September 23, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »
Sky have the biggest agenda going with their 'Transfer Centre' and associated bollocks. It's funny how they report on deals and get everyone betting on it isn't it?

Apart from the fact that they don’t own Sky Bet anymore

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #7628 on: September 23, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »
I think Tammy will come in on deadline day but would prefer Eduard as Tammy is too similar to Watkins. Eduard is more of a Benteke mark2

I would take Tammy over Edourad every day of the week.

Tammy can play either out left or through the middle where I believe Edourad only plays as an out and out striker. Wasn't Tammy quoted as saying that his prefered position was a left sided forward?
Also, Tammy has got premier league experience under his belt whereby with Edourad we would be taking a chance on how he adapts to the pace of the league.

Yes, Tammy would cost more than Edourad but the advantage would be that the chemistry and understanding of how Dean Smith wants to play would be still fresh in the mind with Tammy and he would have no issues fitting straight back in where he left off.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7629 on: September 23, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »
Sky have the biggest agenda going with their 'Transfer Centre' and associated bollocks. It's funny how they report on deals and get everyone betting on it isn't it?

But they do receive large revenues from advertising betting companies. Relentlessly.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7630 on: September 23, 2020, 08:25:50 AM »
Really can't see Chelsea letting Kevin go. They've sent out Batshuayi to palace, so really they have him and Giroud as back-up to Werner which is the least you'd want considering injuries and CL/cup games

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7631 on: September 23, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
the centre half thing is a worry

I like Engels but he looks out of favour might even be sold
if we have to rely on Hause for any length of time we’ll be in deep trouble

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #7632 on: September 23, 2020, 08:31:09 AM »
I think the last week of this window will be our busiest ever. Plenty to move out, as well as the much-needed incomings. My only regret is that it’ll draw me into watching the Sky Transfer Show...

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #7633 on: September 23, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »

And the transfer betting market is absolutely insignificant. Even when they did own some of SkyBet, they’re not going to produce and broadcast expensive TV programmes to drum up £5 bets on Man City signing Messi.

The transfer show is just really crap, baseless journalism - no conspiracy

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #7634 on: September 23, 2020, 08:43:41 AM »
With the news yesterday that potentially there will be no crowds until March? the loss of revenue must be huge for the club and with the money that they must be putting into the club to pay wages etc..,this must be costing them a fortune,

I think that the owners may now put the cheque book away (or hide the BACs card).
For me, this is the exact time to be spending money. Other clubs are vulnerable and will be holding back their spending - it's a great chance to be able to buy up players with little in the way of serious competition. Honestly think that well spent money over the next 3 or 4 windows would see us leapfrog a load of mid table sides, and even more sides in continental Europe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal