collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Today at 01:48:42 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 294 | Comments: 6

Every Crystal Palace fan there...
September 26, 2020, 01:15:18 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1070 | Comments: 24

[url=https://ibb.co/VpNq...
September 23, 2020, 08:37:01 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 319 | Comments: 1

Players in England first offic...
September 20, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 704 | Comments: 5

The commentators in the nation...
September 19, 2020, 06:29:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 662 | Comments: 4

The big news since last season...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 417506 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7020 on: September 16, 2020, 11:20:25 AM »
I would still take Danny Rose as left back competition too.

Apropos of nothing every time I see his name here I think of Richard Burton in "Where Eagles Dare".

Not for me - similar to Sturridge not sure he gives a shit anymore. Seemed to sulk when he didn't get his big money move and not been the same player the last 3 years. Previous 4 he was superb

Danny Rose is a player on the way down for me. 30 is quite old for a fullback/winger and I would question his desire at this point in his career. We don't need another Joleon Lescott

As for Jota I saw him play well a few times for Small Heath in the Championship and on occasions he was their best player. But he was inconsistent even at that level so I don't expect him to shine in the Premier League.

Offline Footy-Vill

• Jack Grealish is the very best!
  • GM : 06.09.2021
« Reply #7021 on: September 16, 2020, 11:22:48 AM »
I would still take Danny Rose as left back competition too.

Apropos of nothing every time I see his name here I think of Richard Burton in "Where Eagles Dare".

Not for me - similar to Sturridge not sure he gives a shit anymore. Seemed to sulk when he didn't get his big money move and not been the same player the last 3 years. Previous 4 he was superb

Danny Rose famously once said he wouldn’t recommend professional football to children.

I'm with him on that in mental toughness. I played to a far lower level  (in youth level that is nothing more than semi pro!) which I wouldn't get any further, family issue and general well being football a solace but that's why I always admire Milner for his dedication and mental strength
And always get so annoyed when players mess up off pitch.

It's a ruthless business in any country as you have to compete against what you think or are friends .
As well as all the banter or whatever that nonsense gets called.
Anyway. I like Rose and respect how he's talked about depression and that he basically still doing a job .

It's another perspective from those who say they have the luckiest job or those who say they are lucky.

Different players see it differently. Good luck to Rose always.

Btw seeing Eriksen on that Spurs documentary he didn't look so happy and made the point that footballers arent treated the same . For all the positive there's always the negatives in things.
I guess some able to achieve a balance better than others.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:24:56 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #7022 on: September 16, 2020, 11:32:07 AM »
Mick McCarthy once played Conor Hourihane at left back.
I quite like the idea of doing that, but I think DS would have tried it already is it was in his thinking.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #7023 on: September 16, 2020, 11:41:10 AM »
I quite like the idea of doing that, but I think DS would have tried it already is it was in his thinking.

Hourihane was awful there, so much so McCarthy said post game he wouldn't be trying him there again 😄

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #7024 on: September 16, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »

Hourihane was awful there, so much so McCarthy said post game he wouldn't be trying him there again 😄

I can imagine , no pace cant tackle

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:56:20 AM by VILLA MOLE »

Online mike

« Reply #7025 on: September 16, 2020, 11:55:24 AM »
I wonder if we're still going to get that midfield enforcer signing to make us all a little giddy. A seasoned pro who has done it all and is winding down a little but would still be a clear upgrade on Conor and Marvellous.
I think you miss Whelan?

I miss George Boateng more!

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7026 on: September 16, 2020, 12:20:33 PM »
I wonder if we're still going to get that midfield enforcer signing to make us all a little giddy. A seasoned pro who has done it all and is winding down a little but would still be a clear upgrade on Conor and Marvellous.
I think you miss Whelan?

I read a book called the dammed utd . Brian Clough signed a battle hardy vet Dave McKay to bolster the midfiled.
Sounds all very Martin O'Neil , Steve Bruce.
Not very Dean Smith way.
Grounds though for wanting a player like that perhaps still to have the sort in the squad.

The midfield talk has been of a number 8. Brings the creative flair , ball retention, competitive nature and energy to the midfield.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7027 on: September 16, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
But who could it be? Hope its not someone too dirty like Marc Van Bommel.

Offline danno

« Reply #7028 on: September 16, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »
I think you miss Whelan?

I read a book called the dammed utd . Brian Clough signed a battle hardy vet Dave McKay to bolster the midfiled.
Not very Dean Smith way.
Grounds though for wanting a player like that perhaps still to have the sort in the squad.

The midfield talk has been of a number 8. Brings the creative flair , ball retention, competitive nature and energy to the midfield.

Older posters than me will have to correct you, but Clough would have signed MacKay because of his passing ability.
He wasn't the bruiser you've just imagined.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:30:21 PM by danno »

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #7029 on: September 16, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
Carlton Palmer would be the obvious choice.

Offline Ads

• GM : 02.04.2021
« Reply #7030 on: September 16, 2020, 12:33:29 PM »
My first exposure to the word ****** was a song about Carlton Palmer. Apparently he was a cheating ******.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
« Reply #7031 on: September 16, 2020, 12:35:13 PM »
I think you miss Whelan?

Not very Dean Smith way.

Older posters than me will have to correct you, but Clough would have signed MacKay because of his passing ability.

Clough was the best English manager if all time, Leeds didn't deserve him.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7032 on: September 16, 2020, 12:36:45 PM »
I think you miss Whelan?

Not very Dean Smith way.

Oh sure . Ok. I always read it as an uncompromising Scott Brown type so maybe A bit more Barry Ferguson then .

For me I prefer super John McGinn to John Fleck of Sheff Utd

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 06.07.2021
« Reply #7033 on: September 16, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
I think you miss Whelan?

Not very Dean Smith way.

He was fairly old when Clough signed him and if I remember rightly he used him as a sweeper. I think there must have been something of the thug about him though as he later managed Small Heath for a couple of years.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #7034 on: September 16, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »
I think you miss Whelan?

Not very Dean Smith way.

Clough was the best English manager if all time, Leeds didn't deserve him.

Another reason to dislike Leeds then !
But i like the current manager idea if a little stubborn Some say Bielsa methods are what's so good rather than himself . Like years ago it was innovative but now it's all been copied , updated and implemented in a modern way of football and by today's coaches. So Leeds utd pressing game  isn't anything majorly new and unless he has the best players will struggle to win games as he won't adapt or change. Saw that against Liverpool . Another day would have been 4-1 and not 4-3 as they didn't create proper chances.
For me Bielsa  better as a national team manager can work on a national pride and cup competition formats whichever nation he would coach and be more successful than a league campaign at top division level these days.

That's why I have Leeds being relegated.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal