collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864527 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2460 on: August 15, 2020, 01:14:23 PM »
Players and managers all returning next week. That’s when the bullshit detector will be cranked up to 11

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2461 on: August 15, 2020, 01:30:15 PM »
At what stage do we start to worry that we won’t make many signings in this window given circumstances - we have been linked with 20/30 players but with less than 4 weeks to go and what one would hope would be lessons learnt from having to start last season with so many new players with little time for assimilation, it’s a tad concerning to me we have yet to make one first team signing.

51 days left in window....plenty of time

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2462 on: August 15, 2020, 02:20:50 PM »
At what stage do we start to worry that we won’t make many signings in this window given circumstances - we have been linked with 20/30 players but with less than 4 weeks to go and what one would hope would be lessons learnt from having to start last season with so many new players with little time for assimilation, it’s a tad concerning to me we have yet to make one first team signing.

51 days left in window....plenty of time

New players need time to bed in though. Pre season is ideal for that. Likes of Luiz last summer rocked in very late and took ages to get up to speed

Offline AllanW

« Reply #2463 on: August 15, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »

Others have addressed the 'time' issue (October is when the window closes) so no need for me to repeat but I'll mention a couple of other points;

- 'linked with 20 to 30 players':
It's all bullshit, don't read any of it. They don't know what they are talking about all the time not just most of it. We've been linked with a midfielder from Reading, a left back from Hearts and Daniel Sturridge FFS. Those links are either the player or their agent touting their wares, the club touting their players or rent-a-mouths paying their mortgage by saying anything that occurs to them that day.

We should have got the idea now that a professionally-run club like we are now do not brag, speculate or drop hints about any of their transfer activity until they are entering the final negotiating vinegar strokes. We didn't last year or in January and we won't now. The club have said nothing so just wait and see.

'assimilation' problems:
These will always exist when people move clubs but we're not talking about 12 people like last year, only 3 or 4 at most. That's hugely easier this time. Nothing to worry about with the experienced staff we have. We'll go into pre-season and the first part of the games with a solid squad of players who know each other, including the U23 players who have trained with the first team since they came back after the covid shutdown. Our squad is better than last year, more experienced than before and will do better. It's not where we might want it to be in terms of quality and depth buut it ain't at all bad; the incoming transfers will improve us when they have settled, I'm sure.

'less than 4 weeks to go':
There will be movement in those 4 weeks even though that is well before the transfer window 'slams shut' TM SKY. We'll get 1 or 2 in, I would guess, who will participate therefore in some part of the pre-season but any others will come shortly afterwards so no problem.

Main message? Circumstances now are to be expected; only worry if it gets to the end of September and we have none in.

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
« Reply #2464 on: August 15, 2020, 02:41:08 PM »
I’m still fairly chilled about state of things right now.

Undoubtedly we need to strengthen, but I am hoping we will be able to target more players that have been involved in decent competitive football for most of the season, and not so many bench warmers or loanees this time.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2465 on: August 15, 2020, 03:37:46 PM »
Things will start to pick up next week. Players/coaches/agents; many are still on holiday. Some are still playing last season. It’s gong to be a bit of mess simply down to real life circumstances. But I’m sure we will have secured at least one or two targets in the next 7-10 days. And hopefully have confirmation on Jack one way or another.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2466 on: August 15, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »
Things will start to pick up next week. Players/coaches/agents; many are still on holiday. Some are still playing last season. It’s gong to be a bit of mess simply down to real life circumstances. But I’m sure we will have secured at least one or two targets in the next 7-10 days. And hopefully have confirmation on Jack one way or another.

There'll be no such thing as confirmation on Jack until the transfer window shuts I'm afraid. Even if the club were to make any statement on it (and why would they), it would mean next to nothing until October 5th is done.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2467 on: August 15, 2020, 03:50:43 PM »

There'll be no such thing as confirmation on Jack until the transfer window shuts I'm afraid. Even if the club were to make any statement on it (and why would they), it would mean next to nothing until October 5th is done.
I think an announcement that he has extended his contract / agreed  a new one would confirm he is staying

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2468 on: August 15, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »

I think an announcement that he has extended his contract / agreed  a new one would confirm he is staying

On previous experience, we can't count on that either I'm afraid.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2469 on: August 15, 2020, 03:56:22 PM »

On previous experience, we can't count on that either I'm afraid.
he is not Delph.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2470 on: August 15, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »
I didn't say he was, but contracts mean next to nothing these days and everybody knows it. All a hypothetical new contract would do is potentially add a few million to his price.

Nobody can foretell what's going to happen with Jack, whether a respectable bid will come in for him, whether he'll sign a new contract, what it means if he does, etc.

We all want him to stay and I appreciate people want an indicator to that effect, but realistically anything can change at any point until October 5th.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2471 on: August 15, 2020, 04:15:39 PM »
He’s not going to do what Delph did. And I don’t blame Delph at all for the ultimate decision just the manner in which it all played out. I’m sure he has some regrets about that too as it horrible from every angle, including ours sticking him on the website before it was all settled. We looked like fools.

Jack is in a tough spot. He means everything to the club and the club means everything to him, his friends and family. But he also has a short career and while I am sure he’d love to see us achieve his ambitions he knows, at almost 25 he can get there much faster elsewhere; and very likely next season.

Our best hope is that he signs a new deal, gives us at least one more great year,  and in doing so  we surround him with great talent, so that even if he does leave we are set up beyond his time with us.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #2472 on: August 15, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »
Another season would be great. Pay him a fortune on a new contact, but put a release clause that covers his big wage increase for the next 12 months

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2473 on: August 15, 2020, 04:58:49 PM »
If he signs a new contract that won’t be announced until after the window closes.  That’s normally how it works. 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2474 on: August 15, 2020, 05:02:31 PM »

We signed most of them in July last season. I can remember watching the Walsall game about three weeks before first game and Wesley, Jota, Engels, Konsa, Gulibert were all playing. Doug was the only one who came in late with his work permit issues and he still featured in the first game at Spurs ahead of other summer signings.

We won 1 of our first 8 league games.

Way we finished the season I'd back the present squad to make an o.k start if we faced a few bottom half teams in the first 5 games. In any case I think we'll make 2-3 signings by end of August.

Have to say with the world is currently the inane nature of the transfer window isn't really something to get worked up about compared to previous years.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:04:05 PM by SoccerHQ »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal