collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864532 times)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2265 on: August 13, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
He did well for Sheffield United.  Club legend in fact.

Should never go back for players who leave the shirt...

The only shirt you should pull on after a Villa shirt is an England one..

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2266 on: August 13, 2020, 09:41:29 AM »
Seems quick and direct from his highlights reel. Almost 1 in 3 for Bremen is pretty good for a winger. Only 24 too.

Has anybody seen him play?

Offline Bryan

« Reply #2267 on: August 13, 2020, 09:55:53 AM »
Seems quick and direct from his highlights reel. Almost 1 in 3 for Bremen is pretty good for a winger. Only 24 too.

Has anybody seen him play?

Only on TV from when I lived in Austria (the league was so bad that everyone watched the German league instead)

He was Werders top scorer last year, but they did avoid relegation on away goals only. He's very quick and very direct, can't remember him crossing much mind. Only concerns are that his left foot is for standing on, and he's not going to stick to that right wing very much.

Haven't seen enough of Benrahma to compare them sadly.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2268 on: August 13, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
It's a good and equivalent standard in the Bundesliga, so hopefully an indication that he could make the switch. We all demanded pace and the kid seems to have it.

Hypothetically, if we imagine he is the winger we're after, I'd still like a Watkins who is big and quick, where the ball sticks, that can play across the line, including leading it, plus a striker.

Question of whether we need 3 wingers in the squad then and whether one of Davis or Samatta can go too. You'd have Wesley (when fit) new bloke and Watkins who can play up front. Equally, Grealish, possibly this Rashica, AEG, Watkins and Trez to play wide.

Offline Bryan

« Reply #2269 on: August 13, 2020, 10:06:55 AM »
It's a good and equivalent standard in the Bundesliga, so hopefully an indication that he could make the switch. We all demanded pace and the kid seems to have it.

Hypothetically, if we imagine he is the winger we're after, I'd still like a Watkins who is big and quick, where the ball sticks, that can play across the line, including leading it, plus a striker.

Question of whether we need 3 wingers in the squad then and whether one of Davis or Samatta can go too. You'd have Wesley (when fit) new bloke and Watkins who can play up front. Equally, Grealish, possibly this Rashica, AEG, Watkins and Trez to play wide.

I've not seen Watkins play either, but hope he could make the step. Question would be do we get 2 wingers and a striker and play Jack in midfield or do we play Jack as one of the top three and look for a central midfielder (preferably a right footed McGinn as I think Luiz is developing into the deepest lying midfielder), 1 winger and a striker?

Offline Ads

« Reply #2270 on: August 13, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »

I've not seen Watkins play either, but hope he could make the step. Question would be do we get 2 wingers and a striker and play Jack in midfield or do we play Jack as one of the top three and look for a central midfielder (preferably a right footed McGinn as I think Luiz is developing into the deepest lying midfielder), 1 winger and a striker?

I'd think we'd go with Jack as one of the front 3, but with these players being more versatile, it gives more flexibility in game to change things.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2271 on: August 13, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »

If we get this kid I don’t see us going for Benhrama as well, unless Grealish is going. If Jack stays, we buy this lad and Watkins, I wouldn’t be surprised to see El Ghazi go. Think he’s a better player than Trez, but Trez works harder and produced a goal threat at the end of the season.

I think if all this pans out, your right and another out and out striker needed. If Abraham beyond us, I’d be happy enough with an experienced striker such as Wilson, not a marquee signing, but good solid experienced premier league striker, to support the young guns.

Offline Ads

« Reply #2272 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19:36 AM »
Somebody mobile like Wilson would be a decent option or somebody of that ilk anyway. I think, as I'm sure many do too, that were just too pedestrian up front and mobility and flexibility is what Smith wants. I'd very much hope that we can have an outball into the channel this season or the ability to hit on the break a bit more effectively, as I don't think we were capable of that last year with the lack of pace and transitions running almost solely through Grealish.

I think I agree with you on Tezuguet's summary. I'd briefly caught some stats which showed post lockdown his defensive work was very good indeed. But that said, he's probably the more like to go for £15m back to Turkey or the like.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2273 on: August 13, 2020, 10:20:40 AM »
It's a good and really exciting signing, but I really hope he's not the Jack replacement as, depressingly, he looks exactly like that to me.

Offline Hairbandinho

« Reply #2274 on: August 13, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
That's my concern.If he is coming in to be in the same team as Grealish that's a big upgrade but if not it's an unknown quantity having alot of pressure heaped on him to be Grealish instantly.

If he does sign and grealish stays (Which I doubt) then statistically we would possibly be moving grealish away from his best position into a central area. Unless the plan is to have wingers that can occupy and stretch the defence giving Grealish freedom in the middle.

Who knows!

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2275 on: August 13, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
Is part of the delay in concluding/announcing new signings (and I don't just mean for us) potentially the fact that anyone coming from outside the UK may have to quarantine for 14 days before being announced?

I'm sure clubs are being cautious around the rules, at least in terms of appearance if not in practice.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2276 on: August 13, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
If Jack does go, perhaps we'll sign two wingers and a defensive midfielder to go alongside Doug, while moving SJM forwards in a more orthodox 4-2-3-1 of the sort Smith preferred at Brentford.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2277 on: August 13, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »
Is part of the delay in concluding/announcing new signings (and I don't just mean for us) potentially the fact that anyone coming from outside the UK may have to quarantine for 14 days before being announced?

I'm sure clubs are being cautious around the rules, at least in terms of appearance if not in practice.

Interesting point, although maybe  footballers would just be tested before entering the country then let in, I don't know. They seem to be routinely tested anyway.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #2278 on: August 13, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
I like Wilson, but he is quite streaky and only scored 8 Lge goals league season despite playing most of it.

For proven worth, you're really looking at Tammy or Chris Wood.

Teemu Pukki anyone?

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #2279 on: August 13, 2020, 11:01:50 AM »
It's a good and really exciting signing, but I really hope he's not the Jack replacement as, depressingly, he looks exactly like that to me.

Not necessarily. It’s exactly the type of player we need, even if Jack stays.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal