collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864340 times)

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2250 on: August 13, 2020, 12:03:46 AM »
Scotland have become like Wales were in the 80s and 90s, a few very good players but mainly a squad filled out with lower league players.

Having a few good players seems to be an improvement from recent years when they've had none!

Robertson, McGinn, Tierney, Gilmour, McTominay and Fraser are all reasonably young players of quality, and could form the core of a decent squad if they can find a few more to fit around them.

Their striker options are awful though.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2251 on: August 13, 2020, 12:07:24 AM »
Goalkeepers are generally passable (though have declined in the last few years), right backs okay, an abundance of genuine talent at left back, some good midfielders, attacky wingy sorts, not bad.

Centre-half: utter pish.
Centre-forward: worse than centre-half.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2252 on: August 13, 2020, 12:07:29 AM »
Illustrates the folly of Ireland and Scotland using the excuse of small populations for pish football.

Bit harsh on the 2 Irish teams who have made it to the knockout stages in 5 of their 6 World Cups. However the gold standard for overachievement is surely Uruguay.

The Ireland team of 1990 was probably the best of the bunch and still didn't win a game getting to the QF.

It's probably sacrilege so soon after Big Jack's departure but with the personnel to call upon there (top players in all of the top British sides at the time) that side underperformed. Sheedy, Whelan, McGrath, Townsend and so on. They were far better than up and at 'em under pressure bollocks.

That was a common view but if you watch the Jack Charlton: The Irish Years doc (it's on Youtube) the players didn't feel that way about Jack's tactics. I also think most teams would have struggled to beat Italy in Rome in the quarter final when they're hosting the World Cup.

It could be argued that the 1982 team that didn't qualify was better (lost out to Belgium and France, the latter on goal difference). I remember reading an article in the Irish Indo many, many moons that wondered how an all-Ireland team would have fared in the 1982 WC. To the NI team that did so well you could have added Hughton, Lawrenson, Moran, O'Leary, Brady, Whelan, Stapleton and Robinson. Wouldn't have been too shabby.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2253 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:02 AM »
According to his YouTube video he does a lot of 'not scoring'. He'll fit right in.

Haven't seen it but I would hazard a guess that the video was accompanied by some just splendid music. They always are.

He is miles better than Tonev who's YT video was hilarious bad, just full of wild shots hitting row F which was exactly what he did here.

Wouldn't be a bad signing at all. Decent enough player for Bremen although was injured a bit in their ultimately successful bid to stay up. They've sort of morphed into the german version of us in the Bundesliga after Hamburg finally got relegated two years ago. Claudio Pizzaro still plays for them, 41 now.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2254 on: August 13, 2020, 12:38:35 AM »
Scotland have become like Wales were in the 80s and 90s, a few very good players but mainly a squad filled out with lower league players.

Their midfield is basically full of premier league, SJM, McTominay, Armstrong at Southampton who did well end of the season, Gilmour at Chelsea, Ryan Fraser although he's in the naughty corner now for bailing out on Bournemouth. Just lack CBs and a decent striker but I'd say in other areas it's comfortably better than the current Irish squads.

Scotland just have a weird mentality, always expecting things to go wrong so think the players feel that when they come from their succesful club teams (Robertson and Tierney). so lack of motivation. They seem to have a huge number of injury call offs compared to the other home nations which isn't a good sign either, Wales were like that a decade ago and then it all stopped once they started winning.

Compare that to Wales with Bale and Ramsey enjoying playing for them more than their clubs which is pretty incredible.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 12:40:29 AM by SoccerHQ »

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2255 on: August 13, 2020, 01:40:53 AM »
Scotland just have a weird mentality, always expecting things to go wrong so think the players feel that when they come from their succesful club teams (Robertson and Tierney). so lack of motivation.

Maybe it's because they are colonized by wankers. ;)

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2256 on: August 13, 2020, 08:21:10 AM »
Illustrates the folly of Ireland and Scotland using the excuse of small populations for pish football.

Bit harsh on the 2 Irish teams who have made it to the knockout stages in 5 of their 6 World Cups. However the gold standard for overachievement is surely Uruguay.

The Ireland team of 1990 was probably the best of the bunch and still didn't win a game getting to the QF.

It's probably sacrilege so soon after Big Jack's departure but with the personnel to call upon there (top players in all of the top British sides at the time) that side underperformed. Sheedy, Whelan, McGrath, Townsend and so on. They were far better than up and at 'em under pressure bollocks.

That was a common view but if you watch the Jack Charlton: The Irish Years doc (it's on Youtube) the players didn't feel that way about Jack's tactics. I also think most teams would have struggled to beat Italy in Rome in the quarter final when they're hosting the World Cup.

It could be argued that the 1982 team that didn't qualify was better (lost out to Belgium and France, the latter on goal difference). I remember reading an article in the Irish Indo many, many moons that wondered how an all-Ireland team would have fared in the 1982 WC. To the NI team that did so well you could have added Hughton, Lawrenson, Moran, O'Leary, Brady, Whelan, Stapleton and Robinson. Wouldn't have been too shabby.

I think it is probably sacrilege to be honest. My first memories of a World Cup are 82 when I was 8 which the republic obviously didn’t qualify for, but I grew up knowing from my dad and watching footie on TV (other than going down the villa) that Ireland had some great players at the time, many mentioned above. But they had always under achieved not qualifying for tournos. Charlton added to the core group of top players through hook and by crook and moulded them into a team. Within that context I really don’t know how they can be seen as underachieving at 1990 at least. 2002, is my big regret and the whole Roy Keane episode, if they had bt Spain on penalties it would of been South Korea in the QFs and who knows from there, Keane could of made the difference.

In the wider conversation, as has been said Uruguay given their population etc are the masters of over achievement. Whilst the Balkan states it could be argued have, comparing to Ireland is a little unfair, when Ireland has never had a professional league system.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #2257 on: August 13, 2020, 08:27:19 AM »
The GK for NI was very good in 1958. Can't remember his name, but he played for Manure. I'm assuming Blanchflower was in the team too

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #2258 on: August 13, 2020, 08:43:29 AM »
The GK for NI was very good in 1958. Can't remember his name, but he played for Manure. I'm assuming Blanchflower was in the team too
Harry Gregg. Blanchflower was there and some other decent players like Jimmy McIlroy, Billy Bingham and a guy who won the FA Cup the year before ;-)

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #2259 on: August 13, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »
I thought I’d ask why were being linked with Milot Rashica as I can only see poor goal scoring ratio around 1 every 5 games ... thought we’d wAnt better than this ?
Sorry to disrupt ur convo everyone

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2260 on: August 13, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
I thought I’d ask why were being linked with Milot Rashica as I can only see poor goal scoring ratio around 1 every 5 games ... thought we’d wAnt better than this ?
Sorry to disrupt ur convo everyone

He's an attacking MF / winger.

Offline frank black

« Reply #2261 on: August 13, 2020, 09:19:40 AM »
Blimey this thread meanders somewhat over the past few posts doesn’t it.

Anyone been spotted at the Belfry yet?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2262 on: August 13, 2020, 09:23:37 AM »
Birmingham Mail Villa reporter Preece saying the deal for Rashica is moving along at pace.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #2263 on: August 13, 2020, 09:27:55 AM »
Pace? He'll never fit in.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #2264 on: August 13, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
He did well for Sheffield United.  Club legend in fact.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal