collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 875741 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2175 on: August 12, 2020, 02:25:06 PM »
Listening to a podcast and they’re saying that Lille have had one bid for Morelos at Rangers rejected. Didn’t mention a fee but I wonder if he’d adapt to the Premiership as he stepped up in the Europa league this last season.
Being mediocre in Scotland's Premiership is one thing; but isn't it the same as shopping in the lower reaches of the Belgian or Dutch leagues?
I haven't seen much of Morelos but from what I've read he doesn't sound much cop for the Premier League. And, he's been around long enough without attracting much serious interest from other EPL sides.

I don't want to sign him, but you could have said the same about Henrik Larsson when he was banging them in for years at Celtic*, and I'd have had him in a heartbeat.

*I know he had a brief spell on loan at the Theatre of Screams towards the end of his career.

Yeah but you’ve had to pick probably the greatest player in the Scottish league history of the last 30 years to try and prove the point

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2176 on: August 12, 2020, 02:30:41 PM »
What happened to that Rangers striker that scored a load of goals for them, called Marco Negri, or something like that?

Assume he wasn't as prolific elsewhere.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2177 on: August 12, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
Rondon? Have we not filled our quota of non-scoring forwards?

He scored 11 goals in 30 games at Newcastle in his last prem season.

We will do pretty well to get a 1 in 3 league striker this season.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2178 on: August 12, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »
Listening to a podcast and they’re saying that Lille have had one bid for Morelos at Rangers rejected. Didn’t mention a fee but I wonder if he’d adapt to the Premiership as he stepped up in the Europa league this last season.
Being mediocre in Scotland's Premiership is one thing; but isn't it the same as shopping in the lower reaches of the Belgian or Dutch leagues?
I haven't seen much of Morelos but from what I've read he doesn't sound much cop for the Premier League. And, he's been around long enough without attracting much serious interest from other EPL sides.

I don't want to sign him, but you could have said the same about Henrik Larsson when he was banging them in for years at Celtic*, and I'd have had him in a heartbeat.

*I know he had a brief spell on loan at the Theatre of Screams towards the end of his career.

Yeah but you’ve had to pick probably the greatest player in the Scottish league history of the last 30 years to try and prove the point

Well, that is my point.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2179 on: August 12, 2020, 02:38:35 PM »
Jelavic is probably best example in recent times of last free scoring Rangers striker to get signed by prem club.

Had a mad scoring run when he first turned up at Everton but then scored 7-8 the next season and went to Hull the next season, scored 8 goals when they went down in 14/15.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2180 on: August 12, 2020, 02:39:57 PM »
Thinking about it I wonder where Bowen would've played if we'd signed him in January? Through the middle I bet with all the pressure on his shoulders to score the goals to keep us up.

West Ham however played him out wide and just went with Antonio central. Did a fantastic job for them in the run in (and then for us on the final day) so it worked out well.

That's what I want to see us do with Watkins. Don't be stupid and give him the pressure of having to hit the ground running as central striker but have him out wide and get him adapted to premier league in his own time.

Get someone like Rondon in on a season long loan. Probably still has a house in the midlands from his time at West Brom and he's the sort who you know will work hard for the team and chip in with 9-10 goals like he did at Newcastle.

By end of next year Watkins would hopefully be starting to look really good in the prem and so be ready to move centrally. That to me is how you build a much better forward line than what we've managed in last 5 years anyway.

I would be amazed if we don't sign 3 forwards - an out and out striker, an out and out winger and a player that can play across the line. Watkins is that for me. Getting an Iheanacho or Wilson type that is a centre forward, and a Benrahma type that is a genuine winger would improve our squad by miles

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #2181 on: August 12, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
Agree with that ozz. Would certainly give us scope to loan out Davis for at least six months and Samatta then has to shape up or he'll be shipped out aswell.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2182 on: August 12, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »
had to laugh at someone on Twitter the other day when discussing who could sign Dean Sturridge
They suggested Holby City

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:52:45 PM by john e »

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #2183 on: August 12, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »
had to laugh at someone on Twitter the other day when discussing who could sign Dean Sturridge
They suggested Holly City

Clinton Morrison said this morning that he would be a perfect fit for Villa!

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2184 on: August 12, 2020, 03:16:39 PM »

With his nose tongue firmly in his nose cheek maybe!!??

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #2185 on: August 12, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »
I don't want us to take a chance when it comes to a goalscorer. We've just barely survived what can happen if misfortune strikes, I'd rather we didn't shorten fate's odds.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2186 on: August 12, 2020, 03:24:33 PM »

If we're signing a striker from Derby I'd prefer Paulo Wanchope.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2187 on: August 12, 2020, 03:30:37 PM »

The early stages of the Europa league are a very poor quality with the stronger teams playing reserves. Wouldn't read much into form at that level. Wouldn't rule out Morelos just because he is SPL, a very suspect temperament would be the main reason to avoid him like the plague.

Rondon could still be a useful option if playing in China hasn't waned his motivation. Did a great job for Newcastle leading the line in exactly the role the likes of Wesley and Samatta failed miserably. Over 30 though which seems to rule him out from our transfer policy these days.

Watkins can play across the front three which gives us a lot of options. Dropping him in as first choice number 9 would put a lot of pressure on him from day one though. Another more experienced striker to go with him, even on loan like Rondon, might be better. Ashley Barnes or Che Adams would be good options too.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #2188 on: August 12, 2020, 03:32:49 PM »
I thought Rondon was awful personally.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2189 on: August 12, 2020, 04:35:13 PM »

The main reason I wouldn't want us to sign Dean Sturridge is the fact that he is 47 years old. Also if you manage a betting shop as I did he is a pain in the arse who puts last minute dog bets on when the hare is running. I am guessing some people on here are mixing Dean Sturridge up with his nephew Daniel 'sicknote' Sturridge.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal