collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 872184 times)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #2160 on: August 12, 2020, 11:01:55 AM »
I don’t know if there is any truth in what I was told yesterday that Wesley has had a second operation and will be out for months yet.
Given that part of his rehab appeared to be running (perhaps that should be hobbling) on concrete streets in Brazil, maybe it’s no surprise.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #2161 on: August 12, 2020, 11:20:24 AM »
I don’t know if there is any truth in what I was told yesterday that Wesley has had a second operation and will be out for months yet.
Given that part of his rehab appeared to be running (perhaps that should be hobbling) on concrete streets in Brazil, maybe it’s no surprise.

Jesus I fucking hope not.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2162 on: August 12, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
Morelos is one of the players that Smith has repeatedly been linked with and is believed to rate.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2163 on: August 12, 2020, 11:32:16 AM »
He hasn't got a very good disciplinary record either has he?

That's a bit like saying Charles Bronson has a bit of a temper.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2164 on: August 12, 2020, 11:55:26 AM »
hope we don’t go for Morelos
he’s not very good he’s got a bad attitude and he’s a complete knob head

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2165 on: August 12, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »
hope we don’t go for Morelos

I totally agree. He would be a long way down on my wish list of signings.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #2166 on: August 12, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »

To be fair I could say that about 50% of the people I've worked with.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2167 on: August 12, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »
Listening to a podcast and they’re saying that Lille have had one bid for Morelos at Rangers rejected. Didn’t mention a fee but I wonder if he’d adapt to the Premiership as he stepped up in the Europa league this last season.
Being mediocre in Scotland's Premiership is one thing; but isn't it the same as shopping in the lower reaches of the Belgian or Dutch leagues?
I haven't seen much of Morelos but from what I've read he doesn't sound much cop for the Premier League. And, he's been around long enough without attracting much serious interest from other EPL sides.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2168 on: August 12, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »
Listening to a podcast and they’re saying that Lille have had one bid for Morelos at Rangers rejected. Didn’t mention a fee but I wonder if he’d adapt to the Premiership as he stepped up in the Europa league this last season.
Being mediocre in Scotland's Premiership is one thing; but isn't it the same as shopping in the lower reaches of the Belgian or Dutch leagues?
I haven't seen much of Morelos but from what I've read he doesn't sound much cop for the Premier League. And, he's been around long enough without attracting much serious interest from other EPL sides.

I don't want to sign him, but you could have said the same about Henrik Larsson when he was banging them in for years at Celtic*, and I'd have had him in a heartbeat.

*I know he had a brief spell on loan at the Theatre of Screams towards the end of his career.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2169 on: August 12, 2020, 01:18:57 PM »

Was a very bad injury. If the above is true then we won't be seeing him until 2021 so certainly need two new strikers in.

I fear Wes will go the way of Kodj who never got close to the heights of 16/17 after his bad injuries the following year.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2170 on: August 12, 2020, 01:59:08 PM »
Thinking about it I wonder where Bowen would've played if we'd signed him in January? Through the middle I bet with all the pressure on his shoulders to score the goals to keep us up.

West Ham however played him out wide and just went with Antonio central. Did a fantastic job for them in the run in (and then for us on the final day) so it worked out well.

That's what I want to see us do with Watkins. Don't be stupid and give him the pressure of having to hit the ground running as central striker but have him out wide and get him adapted to premier league in his own time.

Get someone like Rondon in on a season long loan. Probably still has a house in the midlands from his time at West Brom and he's the sort who you know will work hard for the team and chip in with 9-10 goals like he did at Newcastle.

By end of next year Watkins would hopefully be starting to look really good in the prem and so be ready to move centrally. That to me is how you build a much better forward line than what we've managed in last 5 years anyway.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2171 on: August 12, 2020, 02:00:40 PM »
I’ve not really seen enough of him tbh. The disciplinary record stands out but is it dirty play or more verbal? It’s often said that we’re too nice and Maupay was lauded as being a bit of a shit and horrible to play against, obviously it’s a fine line as you don’t want to be down to 10 men every other week.
Edit. I don’t mind a bit of shithousery if it’s us doing it!

AFAIK his disciplinary record is better this year. It's neither verbal nor shithousery in the Maupay sense more a reaction to being wound up by the opposition which he seems to have improved on. Rangers fans say the (Celtic supporting obviously) refs have it in for him and I'd say there's an element of truth to him having his card marked by refs, so to speak.  Playing in lower profile games would probably help this further and FWIW his record in the Europa League was pretty decent.

Offline cdward

« Reply #2172 on: August 12, 2020, 02:20:03 PM »
Comparing the PL with the Scottish PL, i think of Scott Sinclair, never really consistent enough at PL level, brilliant record in Scotland and ends up at Preston in the Championship. That's where i would gauge Morelos.
Of course he could be the exception.

Online Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #2173 on: August 12, 2020, 02:21:54 PM »
Rondon? Have we not filled our quota of non-scoring forwards?

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2174 on: August 12, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
I think Morelos is a decent striker, but comes with too much baggage. Doesn't seem like a team player and is a complete lunatic on the field.

He'd be sent   off every game for us, but gets away with a lot playing for the Old Firm.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal