collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 875990 times)

Offline postal

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1830 on: August 07, 2020, 05:08:21 PM »
That postal is a funny guy. (As Jimmy would had said in the goodfellas)
One place I worked at they had a gag reflex.
I started to be 'funny' and their reflex was to stop listening.  ;D

Some like Wesley, I don't, but we are stuck with him so he has to work. And teach him how to head the ball  ::)
I find it hard to believe that Lazio want him
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 05:11:35 PM by postal »

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #1831 on: August 07, 2020, 05:11:38 PM »
It's amazing what time can do that some people have all of a sudden completely dismissed how dire Wesley was in those previous 12 matches before Burnley. The guy cannot head a ball to save his life.

Saying that. I wouldn't be selling him until at least next summer, and certainly not for a £9m loss.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:24:35 AM by Goldie.7 »

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #1832 on: August 07, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »
Wesley, who has scored against Arsenal, over Davis, who had a chance against Arsenal, but didn't score as he only scores against Barnsley or Burton Albion.

I think the phrase the youth of the USA use is...

Buuurrrrnnn!!!

Nice one.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1833 on: August 07, 2020, 05:37:19 PM »
It seems a strange one and a bit out of the blue that Wesley is being linked to Lazio. They already have a prolific scorer in Immobile who scored well over 30 goals last season. Maybe they are going to cash in on him?

Personally, I would let him go if we got anywhere near our money back.
£13m is not 'anywhere near our money back'.
Those who say he lacks certain skills are judging a young player from a different league and a different country after half a season. The fact is, Wesley scored enough goals to suggest a season-total of 12-15 goals; not at all bad for an EPL striker. Without Mee's offensive intervention, he'd have continued to improve, IMHO.
Next season, with better defence and a more assured midfield - and with a decent wide striking partner - I think he'll come good.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #1834 on: August 07, 2020, 05:42:21 PM »
Would bite Lazio's had off for £13m for Wesley who is the worst value striker we have signed since Balaban.
Can someone please let  me know what Wesley offers other than holding the ball up, because I'm obviously missing something. yes he is relatively young, and in a new country.

He isn't even as good at holding the ball up as Davis, who honestly looks a better player despite never scoring.
All you have to do, guys, is look at his scoring record!This makes him better than Balaban, Davis and Samatta combined (IIRC).

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1835 on: August 07, 2020, 05:43:06 PM »
I hope you're right.  Honestly I think the 5 goals mask just how truly shit he was in general play.  Even his hold up play was awful - it bounced a few yards off him every touch.  He can't head it and other than the odd snap shot in general his shooting was powder puff. 

I really hope he comes good, but I'd be amazed.  With that said, we don't have the depth of squad to be writing off £10m on him and I guess there's a possibility he may come good.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1836 on: August 07, 2020, 05:46:54 PM »
I hope you're right.  Honestly I think the 5 goals mask just how truly shit he was in general play.  Even his hold up play was awful - it bounced a few yards off him every touch.  He can't head it and other than the odd snap shot in general his shooting was powder puff. 

I really hope he comes good, but I'd be amazed.  With that said, we don't have the depth of squad to be writing off £10m on him and I guess there's a possibility he may come good.
24m on 4 year deal amortisation -6 mil = 18 less 13 m - fee write off 5 mil = bargain.

Offline Mister E

« Reply #1837 on: August 07, 2020, 05:48:47 PM »

And yet, just before Xmas we were 8th in the division for goal-scoring; with him in the side.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting he should be our only striking option - the club put that monkey on Wesley's back at the start of last season - but it is far too early to scrap him as a squad member.
I hope - like Luiz - he has taken the downtime to learn English and get more familiar with the game over here.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1838 on: August 07, 2020, 06:24:09 PM »
I was the biggest Wesley critic, but he has been here half a season and I also thought he had started to improve leading up to his injury, didnt he score in the Burnley game he was injured in ?
I would not get rid of and certainly not at a loss but I would want a proven scorer to start next season while giving him a chance to acclimatise.

Yep.

Count me in.

I thought he was good up at Old Trafford in the draw, and remember him looking like our best player in that farcical performance at home to Southampton too. He was improving and then seemed to put it all together against Burnley only to be nobbled by that donkey.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #1839 on: August 07, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »
Would bite Lazio's had off for £13m for Wesley who is the worst value striker we have signed since Balaban.
Can someone please let  me know what Wesley offers other than holding the ball up, because I'm obviously missing something. yes he is relatively young, and in a new country.

He isn't even as good at holding the ball up as Davis, who honestly looks a better player despite never scoring.

Yes, at the Arsenal game Davis ran and got into their box for a half chance
Wesley wouldnt thought of even running.
So if Lazio could give double figures for him, however unlikely, take the money.

Which Arsenal game are you talking about, because I saw him score one against them at the Emirates. He didn't get to play in the one at VP due to being injured.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:06:25 PM by Stu »

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #1840 on: August 07, 2020, 06:34:04 PM »
Wesley has scored 5 goals in 21 appearances for us and got injured after 5 months of playing (that game probably fucked our season considering the injuries we had, even if we did win). This is a 23 year old kid who probably doesn't speak the language too well and there's folk that want to bin him off at a £9m loss. Unreal.

As an aside, let's look at Bosko Balaban's record for Villa: 8 appearances in 2.5 years and no goals.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1841 on: August 07, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »
Let's not forget Ross McCormack in all of this

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1842 on: August 07, 2020, 06:47:20 PM »
I was the biggest Wesley critic, but he has been here half a season and I also thought he had started to improve leading up to his injury, didnt he score in the Burnley game he was injured in ?
I would not get rid of and certainly not at a loss but I would want a proven scorer to start next season while giving him a chance to acclimatise.

Yep.

Count me in.

I thought he was good up at Old Trafford in the draw, and remember him looking like our best player in that farcical performance at home to Southampton too. He was improving and then seemed to put it all together against Burnley only to be nobbled by that donkey.

Not a donkey. Wesley was getting the better of him so he took him out of the game/season. He's done it before and he'll do it again, since he got away with it. Fucking prick.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1843 on: August 07, 2020, 06:48:15 PM »
Wesley has scored more top flight goals than Davis has had shots on target in all divisions.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1844 on: August 07, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »
Wesley has scored more top flight goals than Davis has had shots on target in all divisions.

Says it all really. Davis needs to go and play football every week for a year. Then see what he's like. Wesley needs time to settle, he clearly can score a few goals and be a nuisance. If he'd have stayed for and got to 10, that's as many as Maupay managed and got praise for at Brighton. Yeah, he was dog awful at times, but he's going to score a lot more goals than Davis.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal