collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864347 times)

Offline LukeJames

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1800 on: August 07, 2020, 03:35:46 PM »
Wesley is a 22 year old Brazilian International playing in the Premier League, that alone means we'd atleast get our money back on him if we did sell, Brazilian international forwards dont move for £13m nowadays.

Having said that I'd prefer to keep him and  try and get our money back on Samatta.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:38:28 PM by LukeJames »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1801 on: August 07, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »
I'd take that. He might still work out, but I'm far from sure. Getting most of our money back wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

We would be making a £9 million loss on a player who we’ve seen 6 months of. I think that’d be pointless. It’s way too soon to write him off, especially as his last game for us was his best.

On the other hand we could see him for another 12 months then make a £15 million loss...

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1802 on: August 07, 2020, 03:43:37 PM »
FFP wise taking the hit on Wesley immediately will hurt us more than taking it over the rest of his contract I'd assume?

Personally I can't believe anyone would pay that for him until he's proved his fitness.  He is young and may come good, but I saw absolutely nothing in his play to suggest he will.  Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1803 on: August 07, 2020, 03:44:28 PM »
I'd let Samatta go, he seems to get worse with each time he plays.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1804 on: August 07, 2020, 03:44:59 PM »
Would bite Lazio's had off for £13m for Wesley who is the worst value striker we have signed since Balaban.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1805 on: August 07, 2020, 03:53:58 PM »
One, ten points from ten games isn't, generally, "relegation zone form". The clue is that we started lockdown in the relegation zone and ended the season out of it. Two, we played a disproportionately tough run of games after the restart. Three, our defenders weren't to blame for us not getting more points. We had the 8th best defence after the restart and our strikers scored ZERO goals.

Genuinely baffled as to how anyone can see our strikers performing with all the skill and grace of Laurel and Hardy carrying a piano through a minefield and think to themselves "grrr... our defenders are making me angry".

Also completely bemused as to how any football fan can't spot the ability Konsa has. He is already very good and is, quite clearly, going to get better and better. Forcing him out because we conceded a few goals due to our inept forward line putting us under pressure would be the stupidest thing we have done since forcing Cahill out to accommodate Zat Knight.

On your first point about 1 point a game not generally being relegation zone form
i don’t give a fuck I don’t want to be anywhere near the bottom 3

second point, I happy with the back 4 of Guilbert Engels Mings Target as I’ve said before we wouldn’t have been scraping up on goal difference if we could have played that back 4 for most of our games
I get the feeling Engels might leave anyway and we will then need a better replacement than what we have

on Konsa, i don’t want to ‘Force’ Konsa out he is improving and don’t mind him in the squad
the reason i prefer Engels is because Konsa struggles to control and pass the ball under pressure which the way Smith plays just leads to us giving the ball away and inviting trouble as seen in many of our matches

people do have differing views
my bar for players, points and abilities is obviously set higher than yours which I admit may be unrealistic in my case

we are the biggest club in the Midlands by a million miles
we are one of the richest in the premier league
I want us to start acting like it,
i would rather believe we can do what Wolves have done rather than be happy with a point a game next season and arguing whether it’s in the relegation zone or not

we are big enough and rich enough to be a top 8 club but we need to believe and have higher expectations

Offline postal

« Reply #1806 on: August 07, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
Would bite Lazio's had off for £13m for Wesley who is the worst value striker we have signed since Balaban.
Can someone please let  me know what Wesley offers other than holding the ball up, because I'm obviously missing something. yes he is relatively young, and in a new country.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1807 on: August 07, 2020, 04:03:22 PM »
I would give Wesley more time. It is too soon to judge, especially as his last performance before injury was impressive.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1808 on: August 07, 2020, 04:03:57 PM »
We had the 8th best defence after the restart and our strikers scored ZERO goals.

No surprise with 10 men behind the ball. We need a rock solid defence this coming season. I'd hope that whoever we buy is bought to go straight into the team. Squad fillers, we have plenty.

You're absolutely desperate to avoid giving our defence any credit for improving, aren’t you?
You are funny. We defended as a team so it was pleasing our utterly shit defence improved . I put more down to the collective effort than one or two major improvements.
I hope next season our tactics Include attacking as a team but each to their own. My health can't  take another backs to wall performance never mind a season of it.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #1809 on: August 07, 2020, 04:05:34 PM »
I would give Wesley more time. It is too soon to judge, especially as his last performance before injury was impressive.

I agree. Saw him at Norwich away, the week after Dean gave him a real bollocking. He scored two, bullied their centre back, held the ball up, did the lot. He just hasn’t done it enough.

Look at Luiz pre lockdown compared to after. Hopefully Wes can do the same once fit.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1810 on: August 07, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »
Can someone please let  me know what Wesley offers other than holding the ball up, because I'm obviously missing something. yes he is relatively young, and in a new country.

He isn't even as good at holding the ball up as Davis, who honestly looks a better player despite never scoring.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1811 on: August 07, 2020, 04:09:21 PM »
I'm a bit surprised so many people think our defence is mainly good enough.  Ok they were often put under pressure by us not being able to keep the ball very well but pretty much every one of them made schoolboy errors on more than a few occasions to gift goals or clear chances.  And Mings was a guilty as anyone of that. 

As for improvement after the break, well it was still happening - look at the dreadful defending for Newcastle's goal, allowing Walcott a free header for Everton'e equalizer, the ghost goal against Sheffield United, the disallowed Palace goal that should have stood, allowing Pulisic a free shot at the back stick for example.

Also surprised some think Right back is a higher priority than left back.  Guilbert and Elmo have made far fewer errors than Targett and Taylor.  They also both offer something going forward unlike Taylor who is hopeless in that department.  Plus Targett's defending is suspect and he seems to lack a bit of heart for the fight sometimes.

The strike rate would improve if we had better central midfielders and wide forwards.  I think Wesley would have done much better with better, more consistent players than AEG and Trezeguet playing wide alongside him, and with Jack more central and in support.  i still think we need a midfield general / playmaker / metronome type in the centre in the mould of Neves.  Not sure where we'd find one though.     

For me we need at least one wide forward, another forward who can play wide or down the middle, a centre midfielder, a dominant centre back, and a left back who can attack and defend.   I don't rate Reina these days but think Heaton and Steer are a decent first two, and Reina or Nyland ok as third choice.     

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1812 on: August 07, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
One, ten points from ten games isn't, generally, "relegation zone form". The clue is that we started lockdown in the relegation zone and ended the season out of it. Two, we played a disproportionately tough run of games after the restart. Three, our defenders weren't to blame for us not getting more points. We had the 8th best defence after the restart and our strikers scored ZERO goals.

Genuinely baffled as to how anyone can see our strikers performing with all the skill and grace of Laurel and Hardy carrying a piano through a minefield and think to themselves "grrr... our defenders are making me angry".

Also completely bemused as to how any football fan can't spot the ability Konsa has. He is already very good and is, quite clearly, going to get better and better. Forcing him out because we conceded a few goals due to our inept forward line putting us under pressure would be the stupidest thing we have done since forcing Cahill out to accommodate Zat Knight.

On your first point about 1 point a game not generally being relegation zone form
i don’t give a fuck I don’t want to be anywhere near the bottom 3

second point, I happy with the back 4 of Guilbert Engels Mings Target as I’ve said before we wouldn’t have been scraping up on goal difference if we could have played that back 4 for most of our games
I get the feeling Engels might leave anyway and we will then need a better replacement than what we have

on Konsa, i don’t want to ‘Force’ Konsa out he is improving and don’t mind him in the squad
the reason i prefer Engels is because Konsa struggles to control and pass the ball under pressure which the way Smith plays just leads to us giving the ball away and inviting trouble as seen in many of our matches

people do have differing views
my bar for players, points and abilities is obviously set higher than yours which I admit may be unrealistic in my case

we are the biggest club in the Midlands by a million miles
we are one of the richest in the premier league
I want us to start acting like it,
i would rather believe we can do what Wolves have done rather than be happy with a point a game next season and arguing whether it’s in the relegation zone or not

we are big enough and rich enough to be a top 8 club but we need to believe and have higher expectations

Okay mate, no worries.

To clarify, I'm happy for us to strengthen all over, I always am. I am going on what others have said that we are likely to only spend £100 million. If that's the case, I'd rather spend it all on amazing brilliant exciting players rather than boring defenders. 🙂

Offline Alex77

• GM : 19.11.2023
« Reply #1813 on: August 07, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »

He isn't even as good at holding the ball up as Davis, who honestly looks a better player despite never scoring.

There were glimpses of improvement in his game prior to the injury and I for one think he will come good with the right support on the pitch.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1814 on: August 07, 2020, 04:13:03 PM »
Agree. He needs to be given that chance, 6 months is nowhere near enough to judge. There were also plenty of people who didn’t rate Douglas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal