collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Guess The Goal R2; Villa v Sheffield U Mon 21 September! 🥅 by Louzie0
[September 20, 2020, 11:49:33 PM]

VAR by Risso
[September 20, 2020, 11:38:30 PM]

Final League Position by SoccerHQ
[September 20, 2020, 11:22:44 PM]

Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread by ADVILLAFAN
[September 20, 2020, 11:17:56 PM]

Bertrand Traore - Signed by eamonn
[September 20, 2020, 10:51:26 PM]

The cycling thread by Brazilian Villain
[September 20, 2020, 10:30:56 PM]

Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by pooligan
[September 20, 2020, 10:24:45 PM]

(We're lucky to be allowed in the same division as) Wolves by dave.woodhall
[September 20, 2020, 10:14:36 PM]

September 20, 2020, 01:40:06 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 301 | Comments: 2

The commentators in the nation...
September 19, 2020, 06:29:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 383 | Comments: 3

The big news since last season...
September 02, 2020, 10:10:15 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 972 | Comments: 14

After the deflating experience...
August 31, 2020, 10:22:32 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 588 | Comments: 2

Late on Friday evening 3rd Sep...
August 28, 2020, 01:03:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1208 | Comments: 15

The non-selection of Jack Grea...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 354382 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 02.03.2021
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1755 on: August 07, 2020, 01:01:51 AM »
We conceded 11 in 10 games, 1.1 gpg. The first 28 games we conceded 56, 2 gpg.

7 of those came against 3 of the top 4 so .57 gpg in the other 7 games.

Offline algy

« Reply #1756 on: August 07, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »
Weíre appointing Rob MacKenzie, formerly of Leicester and Spurs to our Scouting group. He will be head of recruitment apparently

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/08/06/aston-villa-swoop-for-former-leicester-and-tottenham-talent-spotter/
Set of articles written by him about modern scouting: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10723863/the-changing-face-of-scouting-rob-mackenzies-full-series-of-articles

I found them interesting anyway

Offline john2710

« Reply #1757 on: August 07, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »
Interesting that Guilbert only played when Elmo was injured & Konsa had moved to the centre. He's going to have to improve a lot & maybe he will but I'd like a new first choice right back.

In order, we need,
Centre forward
Winger
Defensive midfield
Right back
Centre half

Maybe a loan or two to boost numbers.

Who out of the youths is likely to make a step up?

Online SheffieldVillain

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #1758 on: August 07, 2020, 08:50:55 AM »
Interesting that Guilbert only played when Elmo was injured & Konsa had moved to the centre.

Hadn't he only just come back from an injury himself? If so, it's not that surprising.

Offline Newby

• GM : 01.12.2020
« Reply #1759 on: August 07, 2020, 09:00:35 AM »
I have been banging on about a defensive midfielder for a while but, genuine question, has Dean played with one previously, with his other clubs? We tried for Fer, Nzonzi and Phillips, so I presume he wants one.

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #1760 on: August 07, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »
I don't recall Gary Lineker doing much in his career apart from scoring goals and usually from close range as opposed to goal of the season contenders. But he scored plenty of goals for a struggling Leicester side for a few years as well as better sides like Everton, Barcelona, Spurs and England.

Yes he did - at Old Trafford..

He never, ever scored a goal from outside the box.  Sad, but true.    I don't think we have a problem getting the ball into the box, especially with Jack playing.  Having someone 'come alive' in the box and cause problems is something. we have lacked all season, although a few of Wesley's goals were tap ins to be fair.  We need someone who troubles defenders with movement in the box.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1761 on: August 07, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »
He never got booked then, give the Lineker one distinction!

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #1762 on: August 07, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »
I donít know why we got rid if Suso when according to you lot we are stacked out with quality players we brought in on his watch

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #1763 on: August 07, 2020, 09:51:55 AM »
The other point to consider with Targett is that he has reoccurring hamstring problems. He's always going to miss games, sporadically, over the course of the season. Taylor is nowhere near good enough to deputise regularly as he offer absolutely nothing going forward, whereas Targett's link-up and overlaps of Grealish is a key-part of our attacking play. We really need another LB to come-in and compete / rotate with Targett in my opinion, more-so that we do a new RB. Robinson at Wigan looks good (and cheap) and woudl be a good fit.

In terms of a CB, not sure if it's been mentioned here, but Smith was apparently desperate to sign Chris Mepham before he went to Bournemouth. I know he's been injured a lot this year, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him re-visit that one this summer. £15m should get him and he's got the potential to be a top-class player IMO.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #1764 on: August 07, 2020, 10:04:13 AM »
Money spent at left back could be better spent elsewhere.

Now go get some exciting attackers.

Raise your hand if your team had the second worst defence last season?

Now raise your hand if you think by not changing your defence from last season you expect them to suddenly improve?

They have already "suddenly" improved. That's why we don't need to strengthen there. Only seven clubs conceded fewer goals than us since lockdown, despite us playing more games than 4/5 of the league.

Plus, get players that scare the opposition and they won't be able to camp in our half like, for instance, Chelsea and Man City did at Villa Park.

Get some forwards who fucking terrify the opposition and you'll be amazed at how much better our defence gets.

In any case, with one or two exceptions, they've already proven to be pretty good since lockdown. They are, mostly, young and will continue to improve.

Drawing the line at lockdown is a dangerous tactic. For starters it would have to be questioned how seriously a number of mid table clubs and players were taking some of those games. We can't simply ignore all that went before it either. Luiz for sure improved our previously powder puff midfield but there are still a number of problems we have defensively.

Left back is critical as teams continually targetted Matt pre and post lockdown. Even v Chelsea, they tried at every attempt to get Targett isolated one on one. At a minimum he needs strong competition for his place. Not Neil Taylor who was average at best at championship level.

If we were stronger defensively, we could free up the likes of Grealish and McGinn more without the ball. I also think we need to get a flyer in on the right wing to help us on the counter attack as we didn't have that threat last season really.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #1765 on: August 07, 2020, 10:06:15 AM »
He never got booked then, give the Lineker one distinction!

He got sent off whilst playing for Grampus 8 in the last season of his professional career.

Offline john e

« Reply #1766 on: August 07, 2020, 10:15:43 AM »
After lockdown we took 10 points from 10 games carry that on and itís still relegation zone form

the revisionism on here re players is staggering

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #1767 on: August 07, 2020, 10:24:15 AM »
After lockdown we took 10 points from 10 games carry that on and itís still relegation zone form

Actually that would have beaten our points total by 3, but I know what you mean.

Offline john e

« Reply #1768 on: August 07, 2020, 10:26:16 AM »

Actually that would have beaten our points total by 3, but I know what you mean.

Thatís why I said zone

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : 18.02.2021
« Reply #1769 on: August 07, 2020, 10:27:11 AM »
I don't recall Gary Lineker doing much in his career apart from scoring goals and usually from close range as opposed to goal of the season contenders. But he scored plenty of goals for a struggling Leicester side for a few years as well as better sides like Everton, Barcelona, Spurs and England.

Yes he did - at Old Trafford..

He never, ever scored a goal from outside the box.  Sad, but true.    I don't think we have a problem getting the ball into the box, especially with Jack playing.  Having someone 'come alive' in the box and cause problems is something. we have lacked all season, although a few of Wesley's goals were tap ins to be fair.  We need someone who troubles defenders with movement in the box.

Gary Lineker never scored at Villa Park in his entire career. I prefer that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal