collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864952 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1605 on: August 06, 2020, 01:16:13 PM »
Good news - no 5 sub rule next season

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1606 on: August 06, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Remember how excited we were when we thought he was going to come to Villa.  Can’t remember whether it was from Leicester or Barca.

There was talk around about 1989 when he left Barca. There was always talk of megastar signings when you know who was around. If we'd signed him it would have blown our transfer budget for the next two seasons, apparently.

The way it turned out at Spurs it would seem that the signings of Gascoigne in 1988 and 'The Boy Lineacre' in 1989 blew their budget too and nearly bankrupted the club.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1607 on: August 06, 2020, 01:19:39 PM »
Remember how excited we were when we thought he was going to come to Villa.  Can’t remember whether it was from Leicester or Barca.

There was talk around about 1989 when he left Barca. There was always talk of megastar signings when you know who was around. If we'd signed him it would have blown our transfer budget for the next two seasons, apparently.

The way it turned out at Spurs it would seem that the signings of Gascoigne in 1988 and 'The Boy Lineacre' in 1989 blew their budget too and nearly bankrupted the club.

What did for them as well was building a big stand and losing money on business ventures.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1608 on: August 06, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »
Always seemed to be around ST renewal time as well.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #1609 on: August 06, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »
I'd be happy with 1 defender, 1 midfielder and then splash big on striker and wide player. The wide player would be an outlet who was quick, can beat a man and keep the ball. This would mean we wouldn't rely on Jack so much and we would stretch defences more. Nice -Sarr, more likely - Brookes.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1610 on: August 06, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »

I did think they'd bin it off now, but it won't be for long. I think it'll be used in the Euros next year, and then it'll creep in everywhere, starting in the Europa & CL, then it'll be ubiquitous in time for everybody to get used to it by the time we get to Qatar.

Offline DesBremner

« Reply #1611 on: August 06, 2020, 01:29:06 PM »
Always seemed to be around ST renewal time as well.

And followed up with a player either returning from injury or signing a new contract with the phrase  "It's like signing a new player"

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #1612 on: August 06, 2020, 01:30:39 PM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.

It's more best use of the money we have than individually the best option. Signing Tammy for ~£50m means the same left for all the other signings we need and I don't think he'd have enough of an impact on us to be worth lowering the bar elsewhere. I'd be looking at £60-70m of the money we have on a wide player and a midfielder and then see what we can do with rest once they're sorted.

Look at all the places where we need strengthening - a striker, wide player, midfielder, central defence, left-back. Now, think how much difference a better player in any one of those positions would have made us last season. How much earlier would we have been safe if we'd got a different player alongside Tyrone Mings - maybe two games? A more physical presence in midfield - very likely the same. A striker who could have got us even twelve goals - pretty much as soon as we started up again. That's the impact he'd have had, and that's why we should be signing the best goalscorer we can, then seeing how much we've got left for the other replacements.

Absolutely agree with the approach of investing in areas that would bring the most improvement.  I'd put a goalscorer and a quality right sided attacking midfielder who got pace as equal priorities.  An improvement in being able to quickly counter attack away from home is essential if  we're to pick up points, especially against the lower/mid table teams, away from home.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1613 on: August 06, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »

I did think they'd bin it off now, but it won't be for long. I think it'll be used in the Euros next year, and then it'll creep in everywhere, starting in the Europa & CL, then it'll be ubiquitous in time for everybody to get used to it by the time we get to Qatar.

Maybe, but it did seem like it was a measure brought in only to help teams who don't normally play so many league games so close together and in the middle of summer.  I suspected it would carry over into next season, given the advantage it gives the bigger/richer squads, and I'm delighted it hasn't.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1614 on: August 06, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.

It's more best use of the money we have than individually the best option. Signing Tammy for ~£50m means the same left for all the other signings we need and I don't think he'd have enough of an impact on us to be worth lowering the bar elsewhere. I'd be looking at £60-70m of the money we have on a wide player and a midfielder and then see what we can do with rest once they're sorted.

Look at all the places where we need strengthening - a striker, wide player, midfielder, central defence, left-back. Now, think how much difference a better player in any one of those positions would have made us last season. How much earlier would we have been safe if we'd got a different player alongside Tyrone Mings - maybe two games? A more physical presence in midfield - very likely the same. A striker who could have got us even twelve goals - pretty much as soon as we started up again. That's the impact he'd have had, and that's why we should be signing the best goalscorer we can, then seeing how much we've got left for the other replacements.

Said this a few times but I think we had two types of failings last year - players who just aren't up to it at this level was one, not enough experience was another.

I think if we have had a Petrov or a Milner in the side last year we'd have done infinitely better.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1615 on: August 06, 2020, 01:34:32 PM »
I don't recall Gary Lineker doing much in his career apart from scoring goals and usually from close range as opposed to goal of the season contenders. But he scored plenty of goals for a struggling Leicester side for a few years as well as better sides like Everton, Barcelona, Spurs and England.

He never, ever scored a goal from outside the box.  Sad, but true.    I don't think we have a problem getting the ball into the box, especially with Jack playing.  Having someone 'come alive' in the box and cause problems is something. we have lacked all season, although a few of Wesley's goals were tap ins to be fair.  We need someone who troubles defenders with movement in the box.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1616 on: August 06, 2020, 01:40:03 PM »
Ive taken a look at the YT clips of that Edouard at Celtic - Jesus the standard is shocking in defending. Talk of £40m for him is incredible and i genuinely think a fit Wesley would score as many in that league. Tammy even more!

I cannot see anyone taking Samatta, Jota, Lansbury (wages i would imagine) or even Hogan so our incoming may be smaller than hoped.

When do we have to announce the 25man squad?
Are we actually having a pre season round of games?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1617 on: August 06, 2020, 01:42:29 PM »
Ive taken a look at the YT clips of that Edouard at Celtic - Jesus the standard is shocking in defending. Talk of £40m for him is incredible and i genuinely think a fit Wesley would score as many in that league. Tammy even more!

I cannot see anyone taking Samatta, Jota, Lansbury (wages i would imagine) or even Hogan so our incoming may be smaller than hoped.

When do we have to announce the 25man squad?
Are we actually having a pre season round of games?

You can only announce the final 25 once the transfer window has closed, so I would imagine around October 5th? 

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1618 on: August 06, 2020, 01:45:35 PM »

Once we sold Young and Downing I think Bent became a bit of a burden to our game. Could still pop up with goals but he also had many away games when he'd touch the ball about 8 times so our counter attack was non-existant.

People thought Lambert was crazy in early 2012 when he dropped him to the bench and started Benteke but within six months that decision was paying off amazingly well so a rare thing Lambert got right.

That said I agree with people that Tammy would be a fantastic signing. Still only 22 and knows the club well and could certainly fire us into the top half. With respect he's levels above Ollie Watkins in that he could come back and hit the ground running.

Let's be honest our striker recruitment has been abysmal since 2011 bar Benteke and Kodj for half a season so we're one of the last top flight clubs that should be just dismissing signing an England international and top 10 premier league scorer last season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1619 on: August 06, 2020, 01:51:20 PM »

Look at the difference Ings made to Southampton as proof of your point.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal