collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864279 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1545 on: August 06, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »
Buendia would be a decent option - far better than Jota. Probably better than Hourihane as well. Smalling would be a decent signing and for £20 for an English player thats pretty reasonable. Still need a really good striker though. Ben Yedder was mentioned last year, but is he any better than Tammy?

In my opinion yes he is. If all you look at is the number of goals scored then Tammy is great but as soon as you dig deeper he looks more and more like a modern day Darren Bent. There's nothing wrong with that but you have to setup the team knowing that he adds almost nothing outside the box.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1546 on: August 06, 2020, 10:00:14 AM »
Buendia would be a decent option - far better than Jota. Probably better than Hourihane as well. Smalling would be a decent signing and for £20 for an English player thats pretty reasonable. Still need a really good striker though. Ben Yedder was mentioned last year, but is he any better than Tammy?

In my opinion yes he is. If all you look at is the number of goals scored then Tammy is great but as soon as you dig deeper he looks more and more like a modern day Darren Bent. There's nothing wrong with that but you have to setup the team knowing that he adds almost nothing outside the box.

I seem to remember him getting back and defending, especially when the other side had a corner or a free kick. I don't recall anyone on here having a pop at his work rate or work outside the box whilst he was here.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1547 on: August 06, 2020, 10:01:34 AM »

Not seen much of the Celtic striker Eduard, but we seem to be linked a lot lately. Is he any good?

From what I’ve seen of him I would make him the number one target. Big, fast, skilful, scores tonnes of goals and still only 22. He needs to be playing in one of the big leagues, and this summer is probably the last realistic chance we will have of getting him.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1548 on: August 06, 2020, 10:05:35 AM »
I reckon Tammy has more to his all-round game than Bent ever did.  My concerns with him were that his first touch was often poor, and he had a habit of missing one sitter per game - even when he got 3 or 4 against Forest, he missed an easy header, probably his easiest chance of the night.  Still if he puts 2 or 3 out of 4 chances away it's not to be sniffed at.     

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1549 on: August 06, 2020, 10:09:59 AM »
I'd guess 90% of Tammy's goals are scored in the 6 yard box, a place we rarely visited last season. It's a big ask to expect him to maintain his high level of goals unless we radically change.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1550 on: August 06, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »
I'd guess 90% of Tammy's goals are scored in the 6 yard box, a place we rarely visited last season. It's a big ask to expect him to maintain his high level of goals unless we radically change.

We managed to get the ball to visit there often enough, only there was seldom anybody at home to welcome it.

Online dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #1551 on: August 06, 2020, 10:23:28 AM »
They're both left-sided centre-halves, of which there aren't many in the PL, and that appears to be what Yanited are in the market for

Maguire plays on the left of defence for Man Utd the same as where he played for Leicester. He also plays on the left for England so I don't think Mings would be a priority for them.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1552 on: August 06, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »

I seem to remember him getting back and defending, especially when the other side had a corner or a free kick. I don't recall anyone on here having a pop at his work rate or work outside the box whilst he was here.

Of course no one did, he was scoring regularly. In much the same way no one criticised Bent when he was scoring 1 in 2. How many goals did he create for other people? How many did he score from outside the box or by creating his own chance by beating a defender? You also seemed to miss the bit where I said there was nothing wrong with having a player like that so long as you setup in a way that works for them.

I've said before, I'd take Tammy but not for half of our total transfer outlay, I'd rather throw the big money at a wide player who can score goals and create chances for himself and others. For example, Rashica who we've been linked with a few times looks exactly the sort of wide player we need to compliment Jack on the other side. He's supposedly going for £33m (which is about what I'd expect to spend on this sort of signing) which makes £50m on Tammy look like it would be our only other big signing.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1553 on: August 06, 2020, 10:38:41 AM »
The Bent comparison is accurate in so far as he often has poor touch and sometimes fails to execute pretty simple passes. No problem with his work rate or attitude at all.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1554 on: August 06, 2020, 10:42:31 AM »
I didn't miss anything you said, I just disagree with you about his work rate. As for assists, 4 for Chelsea this season and 3 for us when he was here which is not too bad for a centre forward.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1555 on: August 06, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »

Of course no one did, he was scoring regularly. In much the same way no one criticised Bent when he was scoring 1 in 2. How many goals did he create for other people? How many did he score from outside the box or by creating his own chance by beating a defender? You also seemed to miss the bit where I said there was nothing wrong with having a player like that so long as you setup in a way that works for them.

I've said before, I'd take Tammy but not for half of our total transfer outlay, I'd rather throw the big money at a wide player who can score goals and create chances for himself and others. For example, Rashica who we've been linked with a few times looks exactly the sort of wide player we need to compliment Jack on the other side. He's supposedly going for £33m (which is about what I'd expect to spend on this sort of signing) which makes £50m on Tammy look like it would be our only other big signing.

Whether or not you'd take him at the fee being discussed is one thing, comparing him to Darren Bent is a nonsense though. Tammy worked his nuts off for us, and I imagine does the same for Chelsea.  In far fewer minutes played, he had 3 assists this season, which is more than Ings, Sterling and Kane and is the same number as Aubameyang.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1556 on: August 06, 2020, 10:45:20 AM »
They're both left-sided centre-halves, of which there aren't many in the PL, and that appears to be what Yanited are in the market for

Maguire plays on the left of defence for Man Utd the same as where he played for Leicester. He also plays on the left for England so I don't think Mings would be a priority for them.

And he's been highly unconvincing there, which is why Yanited are dipping back in the market again.

It's been well documented that they're looking for a left-footed centre-half.

Not least because of this video, which appears to show Ole telling Nathan Ake "We need a left-footed centre-back so just keep going."

Edit: Forgot the link! https://twitter.com/Sam_Tyler16/status/1279908076620038144/video/1
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:48:12 AM by AsTallAsLions »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1557 on: August 06, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
To the club that has just taken a bath on Alexi Sanchez (free transfer to Inter!!), we'll sell them Hause for £30m - a discount on MacGuire - if they want a left-footer.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:54:20 AM by Mister E »

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1558 on: August 06, 2020, 10:52:04 AM »
And what a surprise, Baby face has not got his man despite the arrogant touch up, wanker

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1559 on: August 06, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
The thing you get with Tammy is certainty.  Certainty he'd settle in and certainty that he would get you a decent amount of goals.  Signing him (alongside keeping Jack and a couple of extras) would all but guarantee us staying up next season.

I also don't think his all round game is anywhere near as limited as suggested and nothing like Bent.

But I don't think Chelsea will sell him and if they do I don't think we will spend that sort of money on one player and if we do I don't think he would pick us above other options likely to be available to him.  But other than that he's pretty nailed on. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal