collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 865029 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1365 on: August 04, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
There's a Joe Lolley link somewhere which I suppose is inevitable.

Yeah, I saw that. Also Jeff Hendrick, an out of contract 28yo last at Burnley being touted to us. I'd like to think we've moved on to fish in a better pond, thankyouverymuch indeedy.

Online Villan82

« Reply #1366 on: August 04, 2020, 12:27:39 PM »
Hendrick is a decent player to be fair and has premier league experience which we lack.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1367 on: August 04, 2020, 12:38:39 PM »
He has been linked to AC Milan this summer, somewhat bizarrely. He'd probably "do a job" and be an upgrade on Lansbury/Drinkwater but he's not exactly sexy, is he ?

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #1368 on: August 04, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
Hendrick would be ok as a squad filler if his wages are sensible and we don't give him a massively long contract.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1369 on: August 04, 2020, 12:43:07 PM »
If Sean Dyche rolled into Villa Park Hendrick (ironically previously a Burnley player) is precisely the type of signing he’d make to get us to be strong and stable in the PL. Not in any glamorous but hard working, reliable players that you can call on to start on occasion and solid off the bench. Given we are aspiring to be a mid table team and not a relegation battler I wouldn’t turn my nose up at players like McCarthy or Hendrick. Both are a lot better than bringing on a Lansbury or Jota. It doesn’t change the fact we need really good starting players either. We need both types of acquisition this summer.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #1370 on: August 04, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »
He has been linked to AC Milan this summer, somewhat bizarrely. He'd probably "do a job" and be an upgrade on Lansbury/Drinkwater but he's not exactly sexy, is he ?

Has he got Reo-Coker's agent? From what I can tell, he's been offered to us, Newcastle, manure, Milan, Celtic...

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1371 on: August 04, 2020, 01:03:02 PM »
McCarthy and Hendrick coming in would add a lot of experience and industry to the squad. Far better to have in and around the team than Lansbury, Drinkwater, and Nakamba and proven to be able to contribute to mid table teams. Not signings to set the pulse racing, but for a combined £6-10m it would leave plenty of budget free for more exciting signings.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1372 on: August 04, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »
I suppose that would work if we can rid ourselves of Ange whose 20 odd games in three and a half years has probably cost us more than a small country's GDP.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1373 on: August 04, 2020, 01:16:05 PM »
Lolley, Wilson, Hendrick and McCarthy would have been ideal if we had been relegated. Please don't not now. We need to add 4 top quality players not bulk up the squad with dross.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1374 on: August 04, 2020, 01:23:20 PM »
but we also need to think about the quality of the bench now that we have the five subs rule

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1375 on: August 04, 2020, 01:33:10 PM »
but we also need to think about the quality of the bench now that we have the five subs rule

Very true

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #1376 on: August 04, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »
Is the 5 sub rule permanent or just for next season due to the peculiarities of the C-19 situation?

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1377 on: August 04, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »
Lolley, Wilson, Hendrick and McCarthy would have been ideal if we had been relegated. Please don't not now. We need to add 4 top quality players not bulk up the squad with dross.

They would all replace squad members that got game time last season with better players. I agree these kind of signings alone would leave us struggling, but 2-3 of these plus three more expensive nailed on first teamers would do more for us than four nailed on first teamers would.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1378 on: August 04, 2020, 01:49:58 PM »

You improve the quality of the bench by buying starters and pushing the current regulars out, not by buying players to sit and watch games. We've made this mistake far too many times already. Any signings this summer should either be on a par with McGinn and Mings in terms of relative ability or should be younger and able to improve over the next 12-18 months where they become that standard (but can be eased into the team rather than left to sink or swim like many were last year).

Signing 28+ year olds as cover is mon-ism at its very worst.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #1379 on: August 04, 2020, 01:50:30 PM »
For the first time in probably the last decade we have got a chance to have a proper, balanced strategy for transfers with a decent amount to spend.  Whilst we definitely need some upgrades to the starting 11, it's important not to throw away the improvements we have started to see from a number of players, and as others have said also improve the quality of the bench with some solid Premier League players to fill in when necessary. 

I would have no problem with Hendrick coming in - a solid Premier League midfielder who is still only 28 on a free.  As long as his agent isn't asking for silly money on wages then it definitely seems like an upgrade on the likes of Lansbury or Drinkwater.  Similarly I wouldn't be averse to Fraser from Bournemouth, again solid Premier League experience and no fee.  We can then look at spending real money on the problem positions, I'm sure we could attract the likes of Benrahma and Eze from the Championship, and look out for better quality at left-back, shipping out Taylor.  I'd also definitely be looking at Edouard at Celtic, no idea what kind of money they would expect but surely will be a lot less than trying to get Tammy back - I think if he spend a lot of time sitting on the bench at Chelsea then we could go back for him in the new year or next summer. GK is a position that worries me a bit, but if Heaton and Steer are both fully fit then I think we would have enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal