collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864301 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #600 on: July 26, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
The problem is we can't, in my opinion, carry more than 3 out and out centre forwards. To sign a striker we need to move someone on so out of the 3 who are you ready to say can go?

I'd personally look for someone who can play wide or central to sign as a 'winger' but knowing they can easily move to the main man in a front 3, Marcus Thuram would be top of the list for me but he might be tough to get for us.

I'd have a long look at Gotze as well on a free, he could be a great between the lines players in English football, if he's fit enough.

Online paul_e

« Reply #601 on: July 26, 2020, 03:09:26 PM »
Oh, sticking in Germany I'd have a look at Kevin Volland as well, he's another who can play a few different positions.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #602 on: July 26, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
Haven't we got five goalkeepers? I don't think having four or more strikers would be the worst thing in the world, especially if they stick with the five subs rule.

Online paul_e

« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
Haven't we got five goalkeepers? I don't think having four or more strikers would be the worst thing in the world, especially if they stick with the five subs rule.

2 keepers need to go, Kalinic being one and then steer or Nyland. We never play 2 up front so 4 strikers you have 1 who was generally an unused sub and one who rarely even makes the bench. If you get someone in who can cover a couple of positions, including striker, then you can at least use them on the wing or in midfield and still use the other striker.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2020, 03:57:47 PM »
Wesley isn't good enough. We need a striker. Ideally, at least two.

I don't know if he's not good enough but we certainly cannot rely on him to be the focal point of our attack. Agreed we defintely need better options but as much as that we need more creative players to make those opportunities for whoever we have up front. We are not quick enough, mobile enough, skilful and clever enough to keep the ball, press opposing defences and break them down in a mulitude of ways. We are very predictable despite having one the most gifted and intelligent footballers in the league.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2020, 05:59:41 PM »
Callum Wilson from Bournemouth.  Ismail Sarr from Watford for right wing please. 

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #606 on: July 26, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth who decided not to play. He's a good player

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #607 on: July 26, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
Please let's learn the lessons now.

We should be better than a development club.

Our options upfront are a disgrace for the premier league. Our strikers scored in just 5 league games all season so you obviously start there.

We are also so slow counter attacking so obviously need a pacey wide player from somewhere.

Would like a steady head in midfield to keep everyone calm and mentor Luiz a bit. All this without planning for life without Grealish which could be a reality in next few weeks.

Brilliant we've stayed up but I can't shake off the 2013-15 vibes when we had similar escapes and because we signed rubbish we could never improve.

Offline KRS

« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »
Get rid of Wesley, Samatta, Trezeguet, Nakamba and El Ghazi...all of them are not up to standard. Replace these 5 with upgrades and we’ll be much improved next season. Questions also need to be asked at left back because Targett and Taylor are dodgy at best...same applies to Elmo and Fred but not so urgent. Our CB pairings will have learned a lot from this season, so not too concerned there after recent performances, and it’s the midfield and up front where we need to have significant improvement.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 06:41:46 PM by KRS »

Online paul_e

« Reply #609 on: July 26, 2020, 07:01:14 PM »
Get rid of Wesley, Samatta, Trezeguet, Nakamba and El Ghazi...all of them are not up to standard. Replace these 5 with upgrades and we’ll be much improved next season. Questions also need to be asked at left back because Targett and Taylor are dodgy at best...same applies to Elmo and Fred but not so urgent. Our CB pairings will have learned a lot from this season, so not too concerned there after recent performances, and it’s the midfield and up front where we need to have significant improvement.

I assume you want Lansbury and Jota replaced as well so that's 7-9 signings, if we do that we're in the shit again having to integrate half a squad into the existing group.

For me, without any changes, this team finishes 12-15th next season so I'd focus on removing the very worst players and bringing in top quality replacements that will want to be challenging for European football. It'll be a hard sell but if we can get 3-4 of them in to replace guys who don't really contribute then we can push into the top half.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #610 on: July 26, 2020, 07:02:22 PM »
Tammy Abraham may now be a realistic option

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #611 on: July 26, 2020, 07:03:15 PM »
Tammy Abraham may now be a realistic option

Good shout actually. Even on loan.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #612 on: July 26, 2020, 07:05:35 PM »
I'd keep AEG and Trez as bench options, what we need is them not starting so often unless they are in form. With a short turnaround the last thing we need is replacing half the squad. Again.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #613 on: July 26, 2020, 07:05:39 PM »
Chelsea have already started to lash out the cash and Tammy will be well down the pecking order. He plays the perfect style for Dean Smith. You put better wingers in that side and keep Jack and we are a lot better off. He's not fucking up the chances like Davis, Samatta and even Wes earlier. And I'd still get in one or two others. Even a Daniel Sturridge to give us experience and depth.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #614 on: July 26, 2020, 07:07:19 PM »
Get Ollie Watkins and Behrama From Brentford tomorrow and Messi.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal