collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864391 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »
The sale of Grealish will at least stop pundits talking about us as a one man team. We need to rebuild with several good players in the side and not us having an over-reliance on a single individual.  Regardless of the division we find ourselves in.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #436 on: July 20, 2020, 12:15:28 AM »
No, better quality than what will be available to us as a Championship club.

If you ask me we signed better quality players in our three years in the championship!

If we do a great escape it's going to be a massive task to build a first 11 for 40-45 point range, we'd need our best transfer window since 2009.

With Grealish in god mode for a third of the season we've still averaged under a point a game.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #437 on: July 20, 2020, 08:09:34 AM »
No, better quality than what will be available to us as a Championship club.

If you ask me we signed better quality players in our three years in the championship!

If we do a great escape it's going to be a massive task to build a first 11 for 40-45 point range, we'd need our best transfer window since 2009.

With Grealish in god mode for a third of the season we've still averaged under a point a game.

I actually think it will be easier. Players are better adapted now, and if you use the money to buy say 4 in the 25-30 m bracket, winger, striker, centre mid and maybe a centre back, you would be miles better next season. Got to be the right ones, and we won't survive so a moot point I guess. The El Ghazi miss at Everton is going to haunt us for many years.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #438 on: July 21, 2020, 01:42:32 PM »
If we stay up, I wonder whether Abraham would be gettable. Chelsea are clearly looking to improve their goalscoring capability (Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech have already joined, and Kai Havertz is close to doing likewise. With Mount, H-Odoi, Pusilic and others also freescorers, will there be room in the squad for our Tammy?

Might well be a redundant question after this evening ...

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
Fenerbache interested in Samatta apparently - at this rate half our signings will be going to Turkey! Impossible dream but I'd also love to see Abraham back.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2020, 02:10:02 PM »
Fenerbache interested in Samatta apparently - at this rate half our signings will be going to Turkey! Impossible dream but I'd also love to see Abraham back.

It's not impossible but he'll cost twice what he would have last summer.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2020, 02:13:51 PM »
At the moment Giroud is being preferred to Tammy so with Werner in the frame too, he's going to find opportunities few and far between at this rate.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #442 on: July 21, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
I don't think Tammy would be likely to come if we've sold Jack.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »
At the moment Giroud is being preferred to Tammy so with Werner in the frame too, he's going to find opportunities few and far between at this rate.

I like Tammy and think he did brilliantly for us but him struggling to get in ahead of Giroud despite his scoring record backs up my thinking from last summer that his all round game isn't strong enough for the premier league. Given they'd be looking for £40-50m I'm not sure he'd be a wise use of at least half of our budget.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2020, 03:21:22 PM »

I like Tammy and think he did brilliantly for us but him struggling to get in ahead of Giroud despite his scoring record backs up my thinking from last summer that his all round game isn't strong enough for the premier league. Given they'd be looking for £40-50m I'm not sure he'd be a wise use of at least half of our budget.

I don't think he'd be that much, particularly if not playing regularly.  Also, even at £40m, this season he would have been the difference between us being safe by now and hoping for a miracle.  In those terms, he's definitely worth it.

I don't think we'd get him though, unless we stay up, then it's a longshot, but possible.

Offline wince

« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2020, 03:44:37 PM »
The sale of Grealish will at least stop pundits talking about us as a one man team. We need to rebuild with several good players in the side and not us having an over-reliance on a single individual.  Regardless of the division we find ourselves in.

Completely 100% agree. Having just him is hampering us as when he is off form it really shows. It will be sad to see him go but we need a squad full of team players of quality and not relying on talismans.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »
our dog shit run has coincided with Grealish going about 12 games without a goal

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #447 on: July 22, 2020, 11:41:09 AM »
It's disappointing we're gonna have to find 2 forwards again if we stay up. Wesley whatever you think of him isn't gonna be upto speed till probably next year. Samatta could come good if he regains his confidence and finds his feet but you wouldn't want to be relying on it. Davis, well.. not a striker. So we'll need to spend big. Can't see Chelsea selling Abraham yet - they've caught a cold selling youngsters too early before. Not as our main striking recruit but i'd like us at least to bid for Cavani if leeds are seriously after him. its a fucking no-brainer with his record and experience.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #448 on: July 22, 2020, 11:59:28 AM »

He's got 14 this season and 4 assists so I disagree that his all round game is not good enough for the Prem, especially as he's still only 22. I think he'd be a very wise investment for somebody.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #449 on: July 22, 2020, 12:04:12 PM »

He's got 14 this season and 4 assists so I disagree that his all round game is not good enough for the Prem, especially as he's still only 22. I think he'd be a very wise investment for somebody.

Agree. IF we stay up, assuming the owners are willing to walk the walk regarding investment, I'd say give them whatever they want for Tammy.

Particularly with talk of FFP being relaxed for next season*, we might as well take advantage and buy big if/while we can. We need to, after all.

*(I appreciate it's not as simple as that in the long term, but we need a proper striker and it may be a risk worth taking)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal