collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864381 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
there aren't many I'd want to keep so personally I hope there is some interest.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #181 on: July 03, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »
Just wondering if we get £80m for Jack how we'll spend it.  When you look at our record in black and white, it's easy to see why we are where we are.  It's so easy to get it wrong.  And yeah, I know we got McGinn for peanuts and I know a few may be decent assets next season.  And yes, I thought some were pretty good buys at the time and yes I know every club buys some turkeys.  Even so, bloody hell...

McCormack - £13m
Kodjia - £11.5m
Hogan - £9.5m
Tshibola - £5m
Gollini - £5m
Kalinic - £5.4m
Wesley - £22.5m
Targett - £14m
Konsa - £12m
Nakamba - £11m
Samatta - £9.5m
Trezuget - £9m
El Ghazi - £8.1m
Engels £7.2m

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #182 on: July 03, 2020, 02:33:14 PM »
Number one priority has to be a new manager.

Too many times we see players look useless at Villa become decent the moment they leave, and players that look great before turn rubbish the moment they sign for us. We are stuck with most of this squad as they were bought for high fees and are on high wages, so we need to see if a change of coaching can improve them.

Number two priority is replacing Suso who has been a disaster.

After that we need pace throughout the team, and signings that keep the ball better.

Would like to see us go for someone like Benitez, or Wagner (ex Huddersfield) for manager. No clue who to have as DOF, a role that I remain unconvinced works well in British football.
I'm the opposite. If he wasn't our manager now and we go down he'd be the manager everyone would want with his Championship experience. Let's not forget he got us promoted in just over half a season with someone else's squad

After another mediocre season with Brentford probably, I think not.  Smith was lucky to take on an underperforming squad that still had players like Grealish, McGinn and Tammy Abraham in it.  He was then able to sort the defence out with the addition of Mings. We've got to start thinking bigger than people like Smith.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2020, 02:36:19 PM »

Too many times we see players look useless at Villa become decent the moment they leave, and players that look great before turn rubbish the moment they sign for us. We are stuck with most of this squad as they were bought for high fees and are on high wages, so we need to see if a change of coaching can improve them.

After that we need pace throughout the team, and signings that keep the ball better.

Would like to see us go for someone like Benitez, or Wagner (ex Huddersfield) for manager. No clue who to have as DOF, a role that I remain unconvinced works well in British football.
I'm the opposite. If he wasn't our manager now and we go down he'd be the manager everyone would want with his Championship experience. Let's not forget he got us promoted in just over half a season with someone else's squad

After another mediocre season with Brentford probably, I think not.  Smith was lucky to take on an underperforming squad that still had players like Grealish, McGinn and Tammy Abraham in it.  He was then able to sort the defence out with the addition of Mings. We've got to start thinking bigger than people like Smith.

He did sort the defence out with one loan though. You can't just brush over that like it doesn't count, his predecessors were seemingly incapable of that.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2020, 02:43:58 PM »

Were you not pleased with the appointment at the time? You said he was going to be our Dyche or Howe.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2020, 03:33:33 PM »
Smith was pretty much a universally approved appointment. Villa connections aside we always got a schooling from his Brentford teams on how to play the game. It’s just so hugely disappointing that the manager we thought we were getting like Lambert, has just disappeared into his shell. The Villa team we see now is a reflection of a manager that has lost all belief and now sits deeper and deeper. Contrast that with the side that played at Spurs, at Arsenal, at Man U. We took the game to them. We should have won two of those for sure. If played any of those games again today it just wouldn’t look the same.

I for one was delighted we got Dean Smith because I really believed he would attack and always try to win. That just isn’t the case now. And it’s that lack of self belief that will sink us this season.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #186 on: July 03, 2020, 03:45:20 PM »
Smith was pretty much a universally approved appointment. Villa connections aside we always got a schooling from his Brentford teams on how to play the game. It’s just so hugely disappointing that the manager we thought we were getting like Lambert, has just disappeared into his shell. The Villa team we see now is a reflection of a manager that has lost all belief and now sits deeper and deeper. Contrast that with the side that played at Spurs, at Arsenal, at Man U. We took the game to them. We should have won two of those for sure. If played any of those games again today it just wouldn’t look the same.

I for one was delighted we got Dean Smith because I really believed he would attack and always try to win. That just isn’t the case now. And it’s that lack of self belief that will sink us this season.
I thought it was a flavour of the month appointment to be honest.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »
From what I remember I thought he was a reasonable but uninspiring appointment (but a massive upgrade on who he replaced) and I was mostly happy that they were moving away from the single point of failure approach by adding Suso and Smith at the same time. Neither has worked out as well as I hoped but I still think it's the right way to do things.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »

Then a lot of people liked that flavour. Look on here when he arrived, the reception he got in his first game. Yes of course the Villa connection helped but I think it would be unfair to suggest he was an opportunistic appointment.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2020, 04:03:11 PM »
Then a lot of people liked that flavour. Look on here when he arrived, the reception he got in his first game. Yes of course the Villa connection helped but I think it would be unfair to suggest he was an opportunistic appointment.
No, you're absolutely right - he was a very popular appointment, although not with me.  Brentford beating us a few times, doing pretty well at a club with low expectations, and being a Villa fan weren't my criteria.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #190 on: July 03, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »
Easy top forget the inital coach was Thierry Henry.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #191 on: July 03, 2020, 05:15:12 PM »

How much of that was the 'anyone but Bruce' aspect though? If you look at the poll for the new manager he wasn't a universal choice, I think he had a quarter of the votes. Once it was confirmed most people were happy but you'd be hard pressed to find many times where that isn't true. Even with McLeish most people accepted it and started talking about him at least making us hard to beat, etc.

Online LeeB

« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
In my lifetime, SGT, Big Ron and O'Neill are the only ones that came almost universally accepted.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2020, 05:25:25 PM »
In my lifetime, SGT, Big Ron and O'Neill are the only ones that came almost universally accepted.

most people were happy with Brian Little. If I remember rightly.

Online LeeB

« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2020, 05:29:56 PM »

most people were happy with Brian Little. If I remember rightly.

Yes, but Iike with Dean a lot of that was to do with that he was our own. There were still questions from some as to whether he was the right man for us at the time. He'd done well at Darlington and Leicester, but it was their first season up and they were struggling, and not noted for their attractive football (which we had been for a while under Ron)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal