collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864445 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2020, 11:40:09 PM »
I have driven 477 miles today, to York and back, lots of time to think about villa.  i was wondering, if newcastle want McGinn, lets ask them for a swap with Hayden, he wants to move south and I wonder whether he might be persuaded to drop down a level, knowing that we will get back up?  We also need that physical presence in midfield.  Second one, I wonder if Albrighton might fancy coming back.  Experience, Villa fan.  Is Snodgrass getting games at West ham?  All three are experienced players and would do a job if and when we drop down.  We also need a commanding centre half.  Not sure who though.

Agreed on all three....if we get relegated. Snodgrass is out of contract this summer I think aswell. Duffy at Brighton too as RCB, annoys me playing for Ireland but a big brute at the back is a must for the Championship. Presume Engels will be off either way really.

Problem is with Snoddy and Albrighton is they are both quite slow. I'd take them, but you still need to get some pace in there or it will become very predictable. I think in the champ if he stays Wesley will be a big player for us. Hourihane will get us a number of points on his own with his left peg, but we need to keep a couple of willing runners around him in the middle of the park. Not having Jack will mean changing how we play which might help us shape wise.

I don't see a footballer at all in big Wes
I saw a player having his best game so far until Ben Mee decided to finish his season with a dreadful tackle. For probably the first time, I saw Wesley playing with confidence.

That's true but I'm afraid the memory of his other performances hasn't quite being extinguished yet. Remember his horrible touch, falling over the place like Bambi on ice upon physical contact, very average shooting ability and limited hold up play. We effectively played with ten men for a lot his games. He wasn't helped by the insane decision to have his main backup as Kodjia, which meant blooding Wes in slowly wasn't an option.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #166 on: July 03, 2020, 02:29:22 AM »
If we do end up going down, first signing for me would be Dwight Gayle or someone of that ilk. Pretty much guaranteed to score 20+ goals a season in the Championship.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #167 on: July 03, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »
If we do end up going down, first signing for me would be Dwight Gayle or someone of that ilk. Pretty much guaranteed to score 20+ goals a season in the Championship.

I heard that said about Ross McCormack.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #168 on: July 03, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »
yep he'd  join a long list of fecund strikers who turn to shit when they join us

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #169 on: July 03, 2020, 11:32:16 AM »
Number one priority has to be a new manager.

Too many times we see players look useless at Villa become decent the moment they leave, and players that look great before turn rubbish the moment they sign for us. We are stuck with most of this squad as they were bought for high fees and are on high wages, so we need to see if a change of coaching can improve them.

Number two priority is replacing Suso who has been a disaster.

After that we need pace throughout the team, and signings that keep the ball better.

Would like to see us go for someone like Benitez, or Wagner (ex Huddersfield) for manager. No clue who to have as DOF, a role that I remain unconvinced works well in British football.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2020, 11:57:33 AM »

I heard that said about Ross McCormack.

Ha!  Still remains a bemusing signing.  Could only play in one position and we didn't set up the side to incorporate that position.

That's not letting him off the hook at all though, as you would have liked to have thought some research regarding his off field exploits would have been carried out.

Offline cannock villa

« Reply #171 on: July 03, 2020, 12:13:52 PM »
Number one priority has to be a new manager.

Too many times we see players look useless at Villa become decent the moment they leave, and players that look great before turn rubbish the moment they sign for us. We are stuck with most of this squad as they were bought for high fees and are on high wages, so we need to see if a change of coaching can improve them.

Number two priority is replacing Suso who has been a disaster.

After that we need pace throughout the team, and signings that keep the ball better.

Would like to see us go for someone like Benitez, or Wagner (ex Huddersfield) for manager. No clue who to have as DOF, a role that I remain unconvinced works well in British football.
I'm the opposite. If he wasn't our manager now and we go down he'd be the manager everyone would want with his Championship experience. Let's not forget he got us promoted in just over half a season with someone else's squad

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #172 on: July 03, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
Assuming we go down and lose Jack, McGinn, Mings and probably Luiz we'll have pocketfuls of money but an absolutely shite squad.  Someone's going to have to work miracles.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2020, 12:32:07 PM »
Assuming we go down and lose Jack, McGinn, Mings and probably Luiz we'll have pocketfuls of money but an absolutely shite squad.  Someone's going to have to work miracles.

IF we go down then we need to hold on to as many of these players as we can. Jack can genuinely claim that he did everything he could to get us out of trouble and deserves a chance to push for bigger things. No one else can say with any honesty that they aren't at least partially responsible for what's happened. With FFP cancelled for a year we don't need to enforce pay cuts for the season so Purslow needs to work to convince them to give us a season. If we can do that we come back pretty easily and with a team far better prepared to stay up next time. Use the chance to move on the older fringe players (Lansbury, Elmo, Taylor, Jota) and only buy replacements where we don't have youngsters who can fill in.

I've said it a number of times now we really need to break out of the cycle of being in constant transition, a stable squad for a couple of seasons makes a massive difference and would give us the platform to start bringing the youth players into the squad and working as the owners appear to want.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2020, 01:14:37 PM »

Rafa Benitez did it no problem when Newcastle went down. They sold likes of Wijnaldum, Townsend and Sissoko for big money and brought in solid performers like Clark, Gayle, Diame, Hayden, Ritchie and still stormed up the division. If the worst happens we can't afford transfer sagas developing all 'summer'. Quick decisions on the new coach and players in/out required.

Online garyellis

« Reply #175 on: July 03, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
If we go down I see no reason why anyone (other than those who are surplus to requirements) would be sold. There will be no financial need and all the players mentioned are on long contracts. The only other player I am not sure about regarding contract status and exit clause is Douglas Luiz.
Jack is different, I don't want him to leave he's been great to watch but we have to be realistic. His future career is now well ahead of our current trajectory.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #176 on: July 03, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »
If we go down I see no reason why anyone (other than those who are surplus to requirements) would be sold. There will be no financial need and all the players mentioned are on long contracts. The only other player I am not sure about regarding contract status and exit clause is Douglas Luiz.
Jack is different, I don't want him to leave he's been great to watch but we have to be realistic. His future career is now well ahead of our current trajectory.

There might be a few like Veretout last time who effectively refuse to play in the championship. I'm hoping likes of Trez are in this camp for very different reasons. Not sure many of the others like Nakamba will be as lucky.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #177 on: July 03, 2020, 01:58:15 PM »
If we go down then try and keep one of McGinn or Mings. Probably McGinn.

use the Jack money to sign players the likes of Hendrick, Eze, Lolley and Gayle seems wise.

We'd need a centre half if Mings goes too. I'd let Engels go tbh, we need a leader back there to compliment Hause and Konsa. Fullbacks are fine at Championship level.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »

IF we go down then we need to hold on to as many of these players as we can. Jack can genuinely claim that he did everything he could to get us out of trouble and deserves a chance to push for bigger things. No one else can say with any honesty that they aren't at least partially responsible for what's happened. With FFP cancelled for a year we don't need to enforce pay cuts for the season so Purslow needs to work to convince them to give us a season. If we can do that we come back pretty easily and with a team far better prepared to stay up next time. Use the chance to move on the older fringe players (Lansbury, Elmo, Taylor, Jota) and only buy replacements where we don't have youngsters who can fill in.

I've said it a number of times now we really need to break out of the cycle of being in constant transition, a stable squad for a couple of seasons makes a massive difference and would give us the platform to start bringing the youth players into the squad and working as the owners appear to want.

In my view the only one that will definitely go is Grealish. The rest won't have that many suitors and even if they do, we've got them contracted.

When they signed they knew we'd be at risk of going down.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »
Yep, although there may be relegation release clauses we don't know about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal