collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by chrisw1
[Today at 03:12:56 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:08:36 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 03:04:08 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by LeeB
[Today at 02:54:38 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 02:33:46 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by chrisw1
[Today at 02:25:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Demitri_C
[Today at 02:25:16 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd pre-match thread - June 17th 6pm  (Read 24328 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs Sheffield Utd pre-match thread - June 17th 6pm
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 08:14:41 PM »
I’m already nervous so I suppose that means I do care about what happens in this game

a must win game ?
I will go further than that

if Sheff Utd turn up at our place after the break and everyone getting to press the reset button play well and win
we will be going down.....imo

however I’m hopeful we will be better after the restart and believe we can win this game
Villa 2-1

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 08:43:43 PM »
It is like a new season in a totally different environment. Almost a new/different game.

And that's the point. It's not a new season and it's not a new game. It's the same season being played out under different rules and it's disproportionately harming some clubs more than others. Whoever gets relegated will have a valid reason why they were treated unfairly. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:58:49 PM by dave.woodhall »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 08:48:26 PM »
Never, in 40 odd years of following Villa have I looked forward to a game less than this.
Yes I'll follow it and yes I still hope we win but by God this is far way from the game that I fell in love with, and dark, dark precurser to where we could be in just a few years time.
Why is it a dark precusor to where we could be in just a few years time?

There's loads I dislike about the PL, in particular the glass cieling of FFP, share of the money etc.  But why on earth do you feel the clubs won't do everything they can to get fans through the door and give them the best experience they can when it seems to me cluubs are keen to do exactly that?

Artificial crowd noise opens up the door to possibility of games taking place without fans post Covid if it deemed a success. With paying customer revenue being dwarfed by TV money what price a midnight or early hours KO? Fanciful it maybe but look where we are now.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »
VAR is not being used as far as I am aware.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 09:22:19 PM »
Oh the stress is about to return.....just WIN villa !

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 09:25:27 PM »
Never, in 40 odd years of following Villa have I looked forward to a game less than this.
Yes I'll follow it and yes I still hope we win but by God this is far way from the game that I fell in love with, and dark, dark precurser to where we could be in just a few years time.

Summed it up perfectly for me. It'll be like a neutral game that's on in the pub with the sound turned down.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 09:31:35 PM »
Pretty much this, except I've been following for 60 very odd years.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 09:35:29 PM »

Summed it up perfectly for me. It'll be like a neutral game that's on in the pub with the sound turned down.

Same here.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 09:49:35 PM »
It is like a new season in a totally different environment. Almost a new/different game.

And that's the point. it's not a new season and it's not a new game.  It's the same season being played out under different rules and it's disproportionately harming some clubs more than others. Whoever gets relegated will have a valid reason why they were treated unfairly. 

That’s been my verdict all along. This “it’s the same for all clubs” line that’s trotted out. It isn’t. In the corresponding fixture They had 20 odd thousand supporters cheering them on. That’s the difference. A very big difference for a club in the relegation zone.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 07:27:15 AM »
VAR is not being used as far as I am aware.

I’m afraid so. VAR: Paul Tierney

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »
I have the subconscious excitement of football coming back and the conscious thought that it's just shit and that I'm not interested.

Given its my team against the wife and in-laws' team we've hardly discussed it at all.

It's football Jim, but not as we know it.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 07:46:53 AM »

And that's the point. It's not a new season and it's not a new game. It's the same season being played out under different rules and it's disproportionately harming some clubs more than others. Whoever gets relegated will have a valid reason why they were treated unfairly.

100% this - the unseemly way that PL & PL clubs have sought to change rules at will to suit their own agendas within a season is poor.  Use of PPG on the fly to define seasons & results to again suit agendas is pathetic.  Increasing amount of substitutes to suit Chelsea / United Who believe they have deeper squads etc because they are worried that Sheff U / Wolves / Leicester won’t now falter due to tiredness

The fact those with all the money ie PL / PL clubs / PFA have showed a complete disregard for the 71 clubs below in the crush to get their grubby paws on broadcast cash when we know in 6 weeks time they’ll be splashing 30/40m on bang average players is also very poor.

It absolutely should have been made conditional on allowing this project restart b****x that the clubs contributed to a fund that paid for the testing / made up for attendance shortfalls to ensure that come September etc there are 91/92 clubs for all fans to return to.

Since the 700m+ income protection scheme first started to gather momentum I have been certain that I don’t really care what league we play in next season but I sure as hell care how that is decided in the event of games not being played....maybe next week once it starts I’ll care....if I supported Tranmere I’d be gutted to have fate decided on paper, if I supported Coventry (god forbid!!) I’d be concerned about celebrating the hollowest of all hollow promotions.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
Why is it a dark precusor to where we could be in just a few years time?

There's loads I dislike about the PL, in particular the glass cieling of FFP, share of the money etc.  But why on earth do you feel the clubs won't do everything they can to get fans through the door and give them the best experience they can when it seems to me cluubs are keen to do exactly that?

Artificial crowd noise opens up the door to possibility of games taking place without fans post Covid if it deemed a success. With paying customer revenue being dwarfed by TV money what price a midnight or early hours KO? Fanciful it maybe but look where we are now.

I understand all your reasons for being against the restart and agree with lots of them.  But this is just melodramatic nonsense.

Offline alanclare

• Went to school in Aston
  • GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »

Moi aussi- except substitute 60 years for 40. Does anyone else feel, as I do, that it might just be more fun in the Championship, away from the tentacles of big money television rights?

Offline leylandalbion

• GM : 06.05.2015
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 08:26:34 AM »
I get it, but I love VP full to the rafters every game, a year or two in the chumps will mean trinity blocked off, any redevelopment delayed for a couple of years etc

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal