collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Relegation Watch by wince
[Today at 01:20:09 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by SoccerHQ
[Today at 01:18:43 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by wince
[Today at 01:17:27 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by SoccerHQ
[Today at 01:15:07 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by SoccerHQ
[Today at 01:08:22 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by Villan82
[Today at 12:50:28 AM]

Re: Final Five by myf
[Today at 12:10:48 AM]

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread by myf
[Today at 12:05:26 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: First Football Memory  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Exeter 77

Re: First Football Memory
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 11:34:09 AM »
This game. I remember seeing the goals on ATV Today sport the following day.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 11:56:13 AM »
My first ever Villa game - Small Heath away, 1982.

Won 1-0. Withe.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »
My first real memory is being dragged along against my will with my brother, because my mom and dad wanted to go and get my Christmas present (a BMX).

It was at home to Southampton in 1984, Peter Withe scored twice in a 2-2 draw, stood on the right side by where you came in, and I thought we could leave at half time to go and get some chips from the chippy on Witton Lane.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
This game. I remember seeing the goals on ATV Today sport the following day.

My mate messaged me the other day with a picture of a pair of mannequin's legs and the caption 'bring back any memories?'  I messaged back that I remembered the legs but couldn't remember the game, was it at the Arsenal in the League Cup semi-final replay against QPR.  He came back and said 'it was, we were on our way to the ground and saw them in a dustbin, the next time we saw them was in the ground just in front of us being hoisted into the air'.  Obviously someone had taken the same route as us, saw them and liberated them from the bin.  Does anyone else that was at that match remember them?

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
My first football memory was watching on the TV, Celtic beat Inter Milan, to win the European Cup in 1967.   Apparently I didn't watch England win the World Cup in 1966, as I chose to stay out playing in the street.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 09:28:30 PM »
My first real memory is of us losing at home to Rotherham in February 1968 from the Trinity Road enclosure, my dad carrying me in on his shoulders (I was 5) to avoid paying the admission fee. We lost 1-0, but I have a few memories of the crowd and my first ever Bovril, and a friendly copper asking if I was enjoying the game.

I went to a couple of other games at the end of that season, losing to Bristol City and QPR, but my first non Villa memory was the Albion v Everton cup final. It was a big thing where we lived near Chasetown as there were a lot of Albion fans. I donít remember much about the game other than my dad explaining that the ball had to stay within the lines. I was confused why play carried on when the ball crossed the halfway line, penalty area etc.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 11:55:52 AM »
My first ever Villa game - Small Heath away, 1982.

Won 1-0. Withe.

11th October 1980 Small Heath away was my first ever away game.

Offline algy

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »
Weirdly I was talking to an Everton-supporting mate about my first memory last week.  It was my first Villa game - Swindon Town 0-0 Aston Villa, 7th May 1988 (the day after my 6th birthday).  My uncle, who was a steward at Swindon (and a Villa supporter) got us tickets in the home stand to the right of the Villa supporters.  I remember being really, really excited about going, then not understanding why everyone was so happy at the end when nobody had scored.  I also remember deciding that Nigel Spink was my favourite Villa player, because I was a bit army-mad at the time and liked the green goalkeepers kit.

Also got on to my great Gran's first (and only) football match - the 1923 FA Cup final, which was the first final at Wembley.  She told me she wasn't interested in football, and she'd only gone for the day out in London.  My granddad said that if he'd only ever seen Bolton and West Ham play, he'd not be interested in football either, and to remember how lucky I was to support the Villa 8)

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
Mexico 1986 probably my first memories of football

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 08:32:44 PM »
Mexico 1986 probably my first memories of football

It's not my first, but it's one of my first vivid memories.   On that topic, did anyone else use to get the Ladybird World Cup books that came out in those days?  I remember getting the 82 & 86 ones, I used to love seeing the pictures of the stadiums and all the other bits of nonsense they used to pile in there.

Offline nigel

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 09:10:04 PM »
1968 Yugoslavia 1 England 0
European championships.
I was 9 years old and couldn't believe we lost. We were World Champions, we had Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Gordon Banks.
How could this lot beat us, we were England, they must have cheated in some way :-D

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 10:47:53 PM »
Wasn't Alan Mullery sent off in that game?

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2020, 11:02:32 PM »
I have a vague memory of being at my first Villa game, vs Reading October 87 but can't remember any of the goals. I grew up in Shrewsbury and I'd been to a game at Gay Meadow before that. Again I can sort of remember being at the game, I recall going to the loo and hearing a huge cheer. When I came back to my seat there was a Shrewsbury player scoring a penalty.

In terms of TV memories I vaguely remember Mexico 86 happening. My brother had the sticker album and I remember Maradona being a byword for cheating skullduggery. I also remember the 87 cup final and wanting Coventry to win so that Spurs didn't beat our FA cup wins, we were joint record holders at the time.

Offline nigel

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »
1968 Yugoslavia 1 England 0
European championships.
I was 9 years old and couldn't believe we lost. We were World Champions, we had Bobby Charlton, Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Gordon Banks.
How could this lot beat us, we were England, they must have cheated in some way :-D

Wasn't Alan Mullery sent off in that game?

That's right, first England player to be sent off in a full international.

Before I posted original post I checked to make sure I'd got date and score correct and picked up a 5 min highlight of game. I'd forgotten about the sending off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal