collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Benjamin Zephaniah Article in the Guardian  (Read 2465 times)

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM

Offline bob rowe

• Benito's Headband
Re: Benjamin Zephaniah Article in the Guardian
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 11:46:07 AM »
Excellent article from a decent human being.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »
I have never met the man, but everything i see and read about him i know i would like him and get on well with him.

Keep saf and well young man...maybe not that young but younger than me!!!

As an aside and completely separate issue but i had results back this morning of my Home Covid 19 test...all came back negative.
So thankful for that. I felt it strange in a way about why i embarked on the test. The symptom i was showing was a sore throat but
if i'd of have had this in normal times i would not have felt uncomfortable in the slightest, but this shit puts doubt in your mind.
Apologies i digress!!

Keep up the good work Zeph.

Offline dorsetvillian

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 01:13:59 PM »
I also heard an excellent interview on Radio 4 last week with him. Really does seem to be a very decent human being.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »
He was touring last year and I saw him in Loughborough. Very lively, engaging and varied performance. He got into a lot of "scrapes" as a young man, came through and really made something of his flair for language. Was very candid about his infertility, a subject which is rarely discussed.
He gave freely of his time after the show and as the only person who cheered when he mentioned Villa I waited till the end before buying his autographed book and chatting at length about AVFC. His favourite player was Chico Hamilton and he also had some favourable words about HDE, who had clearly helped him out. His autobiography ("The life and rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah" is a good read, especially with regard to his experiences growing up as a black child/young man in the 1960s/1970s and how these shaped his political views.
Top bloke.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
Sounds like a superb role model for many of us, regardless of colour, creed, religious persuasion. I saw him once at VP, an imposing figure who stands out from the crowd. Long may he continue to do so.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:24:34 AM »
I have never met the man, but everything i see and read about him i know i would like him and get on well with him.

Keep saf and well young man...maybe not that young but younger than me!!!

As an aside and completely separate issue but i had results back this morning of my Home Covid 19 test...all came back negative.
So thankful for that. I felt it strange in a way about why i embarked on the test. The symptom i was showing was a sore throat but
if i'd of have had this in normal times i would not have felt uncomfortable in the slightest, but this shit puts doubt in your mind.
Apologies i digress!!

Keep up the good work Zeph.

Congratulations on your result!!
Means plenty of good feelings can now be enjoyed With that worry gone.
Fair play for sharing !
Take care
Up the villa

Offline Footy-Vill

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »
I watched the piece he did on the BBC before the Albion game yesterday, and I found myself in tears, it really bought home the emotional side of following the Villa, at what we’re missing.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
I watched the piece he did on the BBC before the Albion game yesterday, and I found myself in tears, it really bought home the emotional side of following the Villa, at what we’re missing.

Do you know how can see that ??
I think he did something for FA cup final maybe a few years back? That's when first came across him
Arsenal final BBC unless it was the WBA quarter final.
Anyway do you have a link would be great to see it Lee
Emotive words and passion for our beloved clubs is a great thing

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 10:40:52 AM »
Great.

Anyone in touch with him? Also really really appreciate him in a few ways. I fancy listening to some readings and a Q&A where all the listeners cheer when he mentions the Villa. About as easy as it’s ever going to be to instigate now, online.

We might as well re-do that literary lions London thing with Inglis & Whitehead that would pull in a few, both worth listening to.

A literary lions series of webinars/zoom meetings/ticketed things to raise £?
Anybody bored and fancy organising?

I’m overcommitted but also another Villa related idea could fundraise towards but might be unrealistic: I saw a few bereaved Villans on Facebook. Work hat on, at various levels politically/mental health wise we are having to think how the heck we support/help people to process all folk are going through.
I run peer support groups in person/now online. Have been considering contacting the Villa Chaplain and suggesting Villa be a role model to other clubs and initiate eg online peer support groups for a) those bereaved and b) those going through the difficult/confusing covid recoveries.
It could be a very easy/cheap but meaningful contribution that clubs could play in supporting their followers, more likely to engage if your team are initiating it etc. Wouldn’t harm to have the odd staff/ex/player support, especially if they had relevant experience.

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 11:01:37 AM »

Do you know how can see that ??
I think he did something for FA cup final maybe a few years back? That's when first came across him
Arsenal final BBC unless it was the WBA quarter final.
Anyway do you have a link would be great to see it Lee
Emotive words and passion for our beloved clubs is a great thing

If you've not found anything yet...
His mighty ode

AVFC interview

Offline dorsetvillian

Offline dorsetvillian

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
Sorry wrong link, although Mark Steel is very funny.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000j1k9

Hopefully this works..

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 02:04:46 PM »
Sorry wrong link, although Mark Steel is very funny.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000j1k9

Hopefully this works..

No worries, I love Mark Steel, once went to see him do a warm up gig at the Glee Club and it was fantastic.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal