collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Re: Mahmoud Hassan (Trezeguet) - Signed by eamonn
[Today at 12:10:11 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by AsTallAsLions
[Today at 12:06:43 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by eamonn
[Today at 12:05:51 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by eamonn
[Today at 12:02:39 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by pauliewalnuts
[July 14, 2020, 11:43:26 PM]

Re: Ahmed Elmohamady - SIGNED by Toronto Villa
[July 14, 2020, 11:27:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by sickbeggar
[July 14, 2020, 11:23:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by PeterWithesShin
[July 14, 2020, 11:13:17 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: It's our year  (Read 712 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
It's our year
« on: May 09, 2020, 02:30:17 AM »
From no. 179 - January 2013

Soon comes round again doesn’t it? The annual Astonian attempt to kid ourselves that this year really is the One. Even though we say it every twelve months, there are some times when it’s said with more feeling than others.  Some seasons we go through the motions while in others, a win in one of the early rounds or just the juxtaposition of the stars makes you think that just this once…

1980: We were in the middle of one of our interminable runs where we went years without a home draw. Bristol Rovers, Cambridge, then letting in a last minute equaliser at Blackburn thanks to an Allan Evans own goal (the match was used as a backdrop to an episode of Juliet Bravo, trivia fans). The replay was headed for a 0-0 draw until the ineffectual David Geddis was injured and Evans went up front. He scored the winner with seconds remaining and Ron Saunders’ promising young team were about to win their first trophy. Another away draw in the quarter-final (the second of many); West Ham and Ray Stewart proved differently. They went on to win the cup. Our trophies would have to wait a bit. 

1983: When you’re European Champions you should fancy your chances of winning anything. Mark Walters showed himself to be a star of the future away at Northampton then for the first time since decimalisation we got a home draw, when Wolves brought approx. 175,000 (according to them). After this came Watford, who were looking promising but were beaten easily enough, although not before their manager had a poke round and liked the look of the place. Then came Arsenal in the sixth round. This was the first of the ‘save your worst performance for when it matters most’ appearances that have characterised Villa in the FA Cup in the past thirty years. Arsenal lost to Manchester United in the semi-final. United played Brighton in the final, and even then they needed a replay to win. Blowing a chance to win a cup that was ours for the taking was to become a depressingly familiar occurrence from thereon in. 

1986: This was an odd one as we were, in hindsight, shite, yet blind faith is a marvellous thing. After getting an injury-time equaliser at Portsmouth in the third round (on an afternoon so wet that the police took pity and let us stand on a bit of terrace that was usually empty but at least had a roof) and another in the replay before winning in extra-time, a fourth round draw at home to Millwall coupled with a good League Cup run, and optimism was running high. We drew, then lost at the Den on a pitch that was 90% mud but Mark Walters still walked off after ninety minutes with his shorts clean.

1990: Third round, Blackburn away and a replay. Albion away in the fourth round and it rained. Port Vale at home in the fifth and it rained even more, which didn’t really matter as we won 6-0. We’d been 300/1 to win the league and 100/1 for the cup at one point of the season. By the time the quarter-final came round we were top of the league and a bookie or two had started to sweat. They needn’t have worried. Naturally we were away, equally naturally we made sure the other team didn’t have to try too hard. Oldham, on plastic, and how the team managed to play so badly is a question unanswered even now. The PA announcer asked the coach drivers to go back to their vehicles halfway through the second half as there were so many of us who’d had enough.

1992: The worst of the lot, no question. After beating Spurs in a replay on one of the great away nights, we’d negotiated the rest of the run to the quarter-finals via a Dwight Yorke hat-trick at Derby then some Swindon supporters trying to put the TV gantry windows through while Jimmy Hill looked on in disgust. BFR was putting a quality side together and as with all his teams they seemed to save their best performances for the cups. We went up to Anfield, along with a smart new yellow shirt and thousands of balloons. We came home again. Even the Match of the Day cast of idiots had been saying it was our year for the cup but apart from a shot by (I think) Garry Parker that was regarded as only being foiled by Grobbelaar’s impersonation of Gordon Banks yet wasn’t all that hard, we froze, yet again. Liverpool’s run saw them play Crewe, Bristol Rovers, Ipswich, us (which in a quarter final is as good as a bye), Portsmouth then second division Sunderland in the final. I know whose name was really on the cup.

Yes, I know there was a semi-final in 1996 but we were always destined to win the League Cup that year so I didn’t give the FA Cup much thought.

1998: This was another unusual year. Even though we’d been playing badly there was always the hope that Brian Little would turn it round, based mainly on the fact that he was Brian Little and therefore the Fates wouldn’t let him fail. Another draw away to Portsmouth, another soaking, another last-gasp equaliser. Win the replay and batter the Albion while the Saga of Savo was at its height. That should have been a turnaround, particularly as we got Coventry at home in round five and we always beat Coventry. Not this time we didn’t, and within a fortnight Brian had gone.

2000: The ultimate in disappointments. After playing Darlington when it should have been Manchester United and beating Southampton easily enough it was that epic win against Leeds in the fifth round (aka Carbone’s Finest Hour) and a seriously magnificent performance at Goodison in round six. Bolton were our opponents in the semi, which with no justification at all was held at Wembley, and we were lucky to finish second over 120 minutes. We held on and David James’ finest hour got us to the final. It was the last final at the old Wembley, the team were on form and if there was any justice this would have been the day 53 years of anguish ended. Unfortunately John Gregory had other ideas and this is still the most disappointing afternoon of all time. 

And that’s it, at least until this season. Even when we got to the semi in 2010 I never thought we had a chance of winning the trophy. Now though, I’ve got a good feeling about 2013.

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: It's our year
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »
...Updated.....

2015.  In turmoil again on and off the pitch.  With another failed Scottish Manager out the door by the time we got to Leicester at home in the fifth round - said Scottish Manager, who, in earlier times, had described the FA Cup as getting in the way - another terrible statement in a tenure that was littered with them.  Anyway....

We had an easy enough start in the 3rd round home to by then declining Blackpool and won 1-0 before achieving another giant killing at home to Bournemouth in the fourth round - a game most notable for the magnificent goal from one Carlos Gil (remember him)?  Moving onto Leicester in the fifth round who by that time were beginning to emerge from their disastrous start.  A game we won thanks largely (we think) to an encouraging half time team talk by the new Manager who was supposed to be only watching from the stands.

And so on to one of our more infamous nights at home to our nearest and dearest enemies.  At home to the Albion on a Saturday night at 5.30 on terrestrial television - what could possibly go wrong?  We won 2-0 and I remember being in a sports bar in Dublin watching the scenes unfold and dancing around like a lunatic on my own.  Of course we all know what happened during and after the game.  Mr Lawrenson and Co virtually comparing it to events of 1985.  Hyperbole at its finest.  Anyway on we went.

Quite possibly the best day in our recent history occurred on 19th April with little old Villa turning over the scousers whos manager at the time described Wembley as the 'Anfield of the South'.  This day was to prove to the world that we had, in Jack Grealish a major talent on our hands and our 2-1 victory after they got a lucky, deflected opener didn't flatter us.  We also ruined the media's dream of having Stevie Mee appear in the final on his birthday.

So finally, here we were, at Wembley again, against the Gunners.  Surely, this was the year.  Get into them early and they won't like it.  But, as a Small Heath friend of mine so ungallantly coined it to me after the win in the semi final 'I will be able to plait my own wee if Villa beat Liverpool and Arsenal.'  And so it proved.  For quite possibly the worst FA Cup Final performance since, well, our previous FA Cup Final appearance.  The fact that I witnessed Villa fans crying at the same time as Arsenal fans leaving before the final whistle showed me arrogance and despair in the same awful moment. 

The wait goes on.....
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:56:00 PM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 08:23:00 PM »
...Updated.....

2015.  In turmoil again on and off the pitch.  With another failed Scottish Manager out the door by the time we got to Leicester at home in the fifth round - said Scottish Manager, who, in earlier times, had described the FA Cup as getting in the way - another terrible statement in a tenure that was littered with them.  Anyway....

We had an easy enough start in the 3rd round home to by then declining Blackpool and won 1-0 before achieving another giant killing at home to Bournemouth in the fourth round - a game most notable for the magnificent goal from one Carlos Gil (remember him)?  Moving onto Leicester in the fifth round who by that time were beginning to emerge from their disastrous start.  A game we won thanks largely (we think) to an encouraging half time team talk by the new Manager who was supposed to be only watching from the stands.

And so on to one of our more infamous nights at home to our nearest and dearest enemies.  At home to the Albion on a Saturday night at 5.30 on terrestrial television - what could possibly go wrong?  We won 2-0 and I remember being in a sports bar in Dublin watching the scenes unfold and dancing around like a lunatic on my own.  Of course we all know what happened during and after the game.  Mr Lawrenson and Co virtually comparing it to events of 1985.  Hyperbole at its finest.  Anyway on we went.

Quite possibly the best day in our recent history occurred on 19th April with little old Villa turning over the scousers whos manager at the time described Wembley as the 'Anfield of the South'.  This day was to prove to the world that we had, in Jack Grealish a major talent on our hands and our 2-1 victory after they got a lucky, deflected opener didn't flatter us.  We also ruined the media's dream of having Stevie Mee appear in the final on his birthday.

So finally, here we were, at Wembley again, against the Gunners.  Surely, this was the year.  Get into them early and they won't like it.  But, as a Small Heath friend of mine so ungallantly coined it to me after the win in the semi final 'I will be able to plait my own wee if Villa beat Liverpool and Arsenal.'  And so it proved.  For quite possibly the worst FA Cup Final performance since, well, our previous FA Cup Final appearance.  The fact that I witnessed Villa fans crying at the same time as Arsenal fans leaving before the final whistle showed me arrogance and despair in the same awful moment. 

The wait goes on.....

Oh Mr W hope you didn’t mind...

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 01:28:23 AM »
1980 the inexplicable Mcnaught hand ball.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »
The win over Blackpool was far from easy! Benteke got the winner with two minutes to go, after Shay Given had made two good saves in a game we dominated.

Wasn't this game Jack's full debut -out on the wing?!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 12:58:48 AM »
Pretty sure Jack's full debut was the boreathon that was Leyton Orient at home in the LC.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal