collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Best Goal Scored By An Opposition Player At Villa Park.  (Read 12812 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Best Goal Scored By An Opposition Player At Villa Park.
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2020, 08:10:51 PM »
Tony Daley at Maine Road is the best I have seen.

I think I was at Maine Road on two occasions when Tony Daley scored in a Villa win. '87-88 in one of his first games back after missing the first half of the season. I think it was televised in the Granada and central regions only. Also in 1989-1990 around the start of our excellent run when we finished runners up to Liverpool.
I remember him starting  in the right back position and going on this amazing run slaloming past player after player and past the keeper. Even the citeh fans applauded the goal.

Offline nigel

« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »
it was Micky Cave, wasn't it? Thumped it past John Dunn from about thirty yards.

He played for Bournemouth the following season.

I was chatting to some Torquay fans about this a while back. I was only a nipper but still remember Mickey Cave’s goal that day. He hit it so well John Dunn just stood and watched it whizz past him. They told me that we battered them all game and it was daylight robbery.

Apparently Cave died In his car from carbon monoxide poisoning a few years after his career ended.

That's sad.
This was my 4th Villa game and I don't think I've witnessed such a one sided game since.
I don't actually remember much about the game besides the goal, obviously, and that they played in yellow. My first 3 games were Gillingham and Bristol Rovers x 2, Blue shirts White shorts.  Bristol had this blonde winger who was quite good, Graydon I think his name was. Wonder what happened to him?

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2020, 11:49:02 PM »
The week before the Torquay game, we'd won 5-3 at Reading. Vic Crowe said after the TU match, that we'd had more chances against them than the previous week.

I remember Pat McMahon missing a chance from two yards out!!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2020, 12:18:47 AM »
Mustafa Haji scoring for Coventry in their relegation game.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2020, 07:09:22 AM »
I've been having to Google this and still am not sure of my memory. I'm remembering Mike Ferguson, then of Blackburn Rogers waltzing through us to score a wonderful goal. I was in the Witton End and it was greeted with silence. I think we were on our way down.

We bought him later but he didn't do much for us.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2020, 09:42:30 AM »
I've been having to Google this and still am not sure of my memory. I'm remembering Mike Ferguson, then of Blackburn Rogers waltzing through us to score a wonderful goal. I was in the Witton End and it was greeted with silence. I think we were on our way down.

You're right, I posted about that goal earlier in the thread.  I too was down the Witton End that day but I do remember plenty of applause for it, myself included.  You're also right in that he never really shone for us.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
Ted Macdougall for Bournemouth.Spectacular and we won anyway.

Going back to the Third division, I remember the game vrs Torquay.

We battered them for 89 minutes, but, couldn't score.

For 1 minute, at some point, Torquay broke away, and a chap called Caves (Jimmy?) hit a belter from, what seemed liked, 35 yards out.

I very much remember that match v Torquay, and especially the goal.  I remember it because as the goal was scored, there were four or so Torquay fans sat a few rows behind us in the Trinity Road stand, who understandably stood up and celebrated. This was all too much for Jock, who always sat in the row in front of where me and my dad sat.  Jock gave out some abuse to these Torquay fans (for whom the goal was probably a highlight of their following their team).  'Bloody hell, Jock, calm down' my dad said.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2020, 02:16:57 AM »

You're right, I posted about that goal earlier in the thread.  I too was down the Witton End that day but I do remember plenty of applause for it, myself included.  You're also right in that he never really shone for us.

Between that and Olaftab's choice in the post above, they reinforce one of the old Villa tropes - buy a player who played well against us. More specifically, over-pay for him and watch him fail to look anything like the player he was when he played for the opposition. Sobering to hear it was happening long before John Gregory made it a speciality!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal