collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by The Moose
[Today at 11:15:08 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 11:14:25 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by AV84
[Today at 11:07:10 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:06:04 AM]

Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:57:28 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Villan82
[Today at 10:54:01 AM]

Diego Carlos by tomd2103
[Today at 10:24:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Season 1991-1992  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Aston Villa Season 1991-1992
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »
Didn't know about Sealey. RIP.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 10:30:53 AM »
I've just watched the season review online inspired by the OP. Some observations:

- Daley scored some crackers that year.
- Dwight looked close to the finished article already.
- The pitch looked horrendous.
- The graphics of the video might have seemed cutting edge at the time but they look comically bad now. Overall I thought the presentation was really amateurish. I had the 89/90 season review and played it to death when I was a kid and I think that was better. Football league production rather than in house maybe?
- A fleeting cameo from the editor in the montage before the end of season match v Coventry.

I'm going to watch the 96/97 season review now. Still my most attended season so should be some memories.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »
May i be the first to say that Sheffield Wednesday away on the first day of the season was one of the best away days ever.

Yes, a fantastic day. It’s hard to imagine now what a big story it was at the time, Big Ron leaving “the best job in the world” and then returning to Hillsborough for his first league game. He was getting real grief off them before the game as well. We tore them to pieces on the pitch. How many Villa debuts that day? That was when new players didn’t need a dozen games to settle in

It would only be fair to point out that before we "tore them to pieces" they went into a two goal lead. It was however undoubtably one of the best ever away games. I have just read an old report on the game that has the quote "Ron Atkinson patrolled the touchline smiling like a perma-tanned Judas imune to the dog's abuse he was getting". A week before the game I was having a drink with Dwight Yorke in the Sheldon pub my mates and I drank in on a Sunday night. My female cousin had brought Dwight along as she lived next to to him in Shustoke. I brought up the subject of the upcoming game and all the Big Ron controversy and I kid you not he looked at me and asked "Who are we playing on the first day"?

After the game and the coach journey back our group of mates retired to the Olton Tavern and had a round of brandy and cigars to toast Big Ron and our victory.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:38:10 AM by Damo70 »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 10:55:50 AM »
May i be the first to say that Sheffield Wednesday away on the first day of the season was one of the best away days ever.

Fantastic day, bathed in sunshine, winning in the last few minutes.  My first trip to Hillsborough with my mates from Holly Lane Football Club.  Great days.

I was in the under 15’s at Holly Lane that year.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 05:08:14 PM »

Fantastic day, bathed in sunshine, winning in the last few minutes.  My first trip to Hillsborough with my mates from Holly Lane Football Club.  Great days.

I hope that refers to the football team and not your female classmates.  ;)

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 05:11:38 PM »
Tony Daley's volley vs Man City that season still be of the finest goals I have ever witnessed in front of the Holte.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »
Funny I have no recollection of that game, though I must have been there, but still remember our five-one battering by them the previous season.

Even my memory is out to get me.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 07:43:38 PM »

Wasn't that game against Citeh a rearranged game after previously being postponed due to the weather?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »
That summer, I was working for my Dad, driving his van around town dropping off print deliveries as I'd graduated the year before, had no idea what to do, travelled for a few months and come back to earn money to fuck off somewhere else again.

I remember hearing we were expecting to unveil Atkinson on the radio whilst i was that side of town so thought, fuck it, I'll go to the ground and see if anything is happening.

Get there and there's about 200 people stood outside the North Stand. After a bit they waved us through into the lower North and onto the edge of the pitch and Doug and Atkinson turn up, with a football, a scarf and a large bottle of champagne for photos with us. Ellis was Ellis, Ron was Ron, pretty much as you'd expect.

For ages I had a cutting from the Mail of a photo of it, in which i could spot myself. No idea what happened to that.

Fuck, it seems like 100 years ago.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2020, 08:24:06 PM »
Unfortunately it's 4. Dear old Les departed a few years back.

I once went to watch the reserves in a game Sealey played in (at Villa Park). You had to see him in the reserves to be able to hear exactly how batshit mental he was. Pretty sure it was the Breitkreutz, Beinlich debut.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 08:28:43 PM »
That summer, I was working for my Dad, driving his van around town dropping off print deliveries as I'd graduated the year before, had no idea what to do, travelled for a few months and come back to earn money to fuck off somewhere else again.

I remember hearing we were expecting to unveil Atkinson on the radio whilst i was that side of town so thought, fuck it, I'll go to the ground and see if anything is happening.

Get there and there's about 200 people stood outside the North Stand. After a bit they waved us through into the lower North and onto the edge of the pitch and Doug and Atkinson turn up, with a football, a scarf and a large bottle of champagne for photos with us. Ellis was Ellis, Ron was Ron, pretty much as you'd expect.

For ages I had a cutting from the Mail of a photo of it, in which i could spot myself. No idea what happened to that.

Fuck, it seems like 100 years ago.

I remember the on/off saga of him leaving for Villa, staying at Wednesday, leaving for Villa as I think it was going on around the time Wednesday were having an open top bus celebration for their cup win/promotion campaign. Although saga is probably the wrong word as it suggests a long drawn out affair whereas I think it was all played out over a few days. It just appeared a saga at the time. I also have to admit to buying a rather cheesy 'Big Ron's Back In Town' T-shirt around that time.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2020, 08:53:40 PM »
Paul Mortimer was a strange one.  What happened there?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »

Still my best away day of all time.  Completely unsurpassed and that includes SHA away wins.  The Albion away one in SGT’s first season was also special as was the FA Cup game a season later.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2020, 10:09:18 PM »

The first team won the league and cup.  Played at the St Andrews against Kynoch.  We won 2-0.  Won the league on the Sunday morning's as well.  Great days, really enjoyed my time there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal