collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team  (Read 31128 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2020, 12:29:25 AM »
Or moreso the money factor? Can't see what else Blackburn, Newcastle or Middlesbrough had over Brum.

Blackburn didn't buy many foreign players, the one Newcastle bought seemed to fuck them up (Asprilla, Kluivert), Middlesbrough paid daft money. 

Online FatSam

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2020, 12:31:35 AM »
The big problem was that we didn't really have anything to attract them. Never was the London factor so important.

That has definitely been a factor in the EPL years, but Ravanelli rocked-up in Middlesbrough after Euro 96 having scored a few weeks earlier for Juventus in the CL final, and there are other examples. There was maybe just a different attitude to risk and reward in B6.

We'd obviously had a good season leading up to Euro 96, and Little's early signings had been largely successful. I suppose that it is at these moments though that Villa have perennially failed to push on to the next level. Whilst it's difficult to argue with the intent shown by signing Collymore, with hindsight the signings between summer 95 and autumn 98 were largely underwhelming - and even Merson and Dublin at this point were (not directly) filling holes left by departures like Milosevic and Yorke.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2020, 12:35:11 AM »
The big problem was that we didn't really have anything to attract them. Never was the London factor so important.

That has definitely been a factor in the EPL years, but Ravanelli rocked-up in Middlesbrough after Euro 96 having scored a few weeks earlier for Juventus in the CL final, and there are other examples. There was maybe just a different attitude to risk and reward in B6.

We'd obviously had a good season leading up to Euro 96, and Little's early signings had been largely successful. I suppose that it is at these moments though that Villa have perennially failed to push on to the next level. Whilst it's difficult to argue with the intent shown by signing Collymore, with hindsight the signings between summer 95 and autumn 98 were largely underwhelming - and even Merson and Dublin at this point were (not directly) filling holes left by departures like Milosevic and Yorke.

Little said that he bought the sort of players he wanted. Unfortunately, that's one thing Doug can't be blamed for.

Online FatSam

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2020, 12:52:46 AM »
Little said that he bought the sort of players he wanted. Unfortunately, that's one thing Doug can't be blamed for.

Fair enough.

It obviously depends to a significant extent how successful things are on the pitch, but perhaps the biggest lost opportunity in the 90s was not scaling-up our commercial operations in the same way that Man U were doing. I remember hearing somewhere (so don't know how accurate it is) that Man U had opened offices in London in the early/ mid 90s and had a team who were driving sponsorship and international connections etc. At the same time Doug was concentrating on stadium redevelopment using an in-house construction manager to save a few quid.

I can't help bringing it back Doug, I think it's ingrained!

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2020, 12:55:23 AM »

Fair enough.

It obviously depends to a significant extent how successful things are on the pitch, but perhaps the biggest lost opportunity in the 90s was not scaling-up our commercial operations in the same way that Man U were doing. I remember hearing somewhere (so don't know how accurate it is) that Man U had opened offices in London in the early/ mid 90s and had a team who were driving sponsorship and international connections etc. At the same time Doug was concentrating on stadium redevelopment using an in-house construction manager to save a few quid.

I can't help bringing it back Doug, I think it's ingrained!

I could write chapter and verse on our failure to exploit the way football exploded post-1993. In fact, I have many times.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2020, 01:58:37 AM »
Ravanelli was on 40k a week at Boro. Around 150k in today's terms.

That said he was available in 1997 and would've been more effective than Collymore who must've been on a similar wedge when he signed.

Shame we couldn't have got Les Ferdiand in the years he was linked, him and Yorke would've been nice combination.

Oh to go back to seasons where finishing 5th was considered big underachievement as in 96/97.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2020, 02:29:34 AM »
Pretty sure collymore was on about 19k with us. 

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
Pretty sure collymore was on about 19k with us. 

Didn't he have a clause that stated he had to be the highest-paid player? If so, that'll have gone up a few times.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2020, 11:17:18 AM »

Wasn't he having an affair with someone who was documenting it week-by-week via Dannys Baker & Kelly?

It was apparently an old one from his time at Leicester.

That rings a bell. The old dog (him, not her!)

His time at Stoke post Villa ended with some similar off field sheaningans....

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2020, 11:57:51 AM »
I'll never understand why hardcore shaggers ever think that it's a good idea to get married.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »
I thought Brian was docile and nice. Sounds like a right bastard.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2020, 12:59:54 PM »

Curcic and Thompson were excellent signings, based on their career to date. Both bombed badly at the Villa. Isn't that what really did for Little's managerial career with us?

Well, apart from all the shagging that appears to have been going one!

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »

Curcic and Thompson were excellent signings, based on their career to date. Both bombed badly at the Villa. Isn't that what really did for Little's managerial career with us?

If you mean Collymore not Thompson, then yes, it probably did.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »

If you mean Collymore not Thompson, then yes, it probably did.
I thought Little brought in Alan Thompson? - ah, no; 1998 he joined us.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »
Thompson didn't really bomb, he had a decent start and then looked pretty average for the rest of his Villa career.

I've always said that the thing that fucked us up more than anything in the 90's was the signings of Curcic and Collymore. Two massively talented nut jobs, we broke our transfer record both times and although they were definately the type of players we needed at each time it was quite quickly obvious that they were not the right characters. Who do you blame, the manager that signed them, the players themselves, the people around the manager who you would hope would be advising on such things or maybe the culture of the club wasn't right for them? Maybe it was a combination of everything.
The other thing of course was Doug not just going the extra mile at critical times. The 92-93 starting 11 was as good as Man utd's but we didn't have the strength in depth. We were always a couple of good players short.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal