collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: All Time Handbags XI  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Grande Pablo

Re: All Time Handbags XI
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
Joey" Guđjónsson suffered from small man, big mouth syndrome on a regular basis.

Paul Mortimer telling the Holte to 'do one' when we didn't chair him through the streets of Witton for scoring vs Luton doesn't help his cause either.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 05:27:42 AM »
What did Gidman do? And did Gray/Blanchflower agitate for moves? I'm not familiar with that background.
I don't think Blanchflower had any worse of a relationship with the Villa than with the world in general. He knew his mind and wasn't afraid to say what he thought. He didn't like the style of football at Barnsley or at the Villa and told them so. He put in a transfer request at Spurs before they won their second and last title and famously was the first person to tell 'This is Your Life' to do one.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 01:28:48 PM »
Ha! Even though I only remember TIYL as a child, it always seemed a nauseating programme. Probably didn't help that I had never heard of anyone who was on it.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:43 PM »
Is the Collins James Collins?

I don't remember any incidents involving him.
A punch up outside a club on Broad Street which also involved Chris Herd and he allegedly took a swing at Sid Cowans.

I thought both Collins and Dunne were involved in the Sid incident. I also thought it was in some team bonding health club break.

Another handbags was Platt clearly bollocking Nigel Callaghan for a lack of effort but for the life of me I can't recall which game it was. I know it was at Villa Park.

I think the Chris Herd incident happened in the town centre on a Christmas night out and involved a bouncer.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 09:08:58 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »
Not strictly a Villa player, but I went to school with a lad who was in our academy for a couple of years. One of those youngsters who never passes, and berates teammates at every opportunity. He ended up signing a one-year contract with Bristol Rovers when he was 19 or so, and got a bit billy big bollocks.

Around Christmas, he went to a Bristol nightclub with some mates from Birmingham, and boastfully told one of them to film him on his phone while he bypassed the queue and got the VIP treatment. Naturally he was stopped by a bouncer and told to queue with everyone else.

Outraged by this public injustice, and still being filmed, he said, "d'you know who I am?" The bouncer replied, "no", to much laughter from the queuing crowd. Incensed, this lad then tried to push past said bouncer, who shoved him. Having already consumed a few refreshments at this point, the lad lost his balance and stumbled into the road.

A passing bus ran over the lower portion of his right leg, resulting in multiple fractures and tissue damage. They managed to save the leg, but he never played for the mighty Bristol Rovers again.

Naturally me and my mates were gutted for him.....

Offline AndyB6

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »
I think the Platt bollocking Callaghan game was in May '89? It was a night game at home vs Southampton. To be fair, Callaghan was not putting in much of a shift as I recall and we were desperate for the points. We lost 1:2.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »
Don't quite remember Savo being a wuss, other than that meltdown he had up at Blackburn.

Offline steamer

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2020, 09:52:56 AM »
Alpay

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 10:10:00 AM »
Downing has to be the captain, the biggest wuss I have ever seen. Never mind 50/50s he used to pull out of 70/30s

Despite being a lilly livered ponce, my biggest gripe with Downing was not his lack of bravery in the tackle, it was his lack of it with ball at his feet.
Always taking the safe option, like he was on a mission to become Opta's highest ever ranked player for passing the ball 5 yards inside instead of crossing.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »
If this is a twats section as I put crap players in the crap team, not just because they were wankers.
Goalkeeper- not sure any one fits though Guzan came close.
Alipay
Lescott
Richards
Beye
Nzogbia
Curcic
Hodge
Callaghan
Mac the gate
Downing

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 07:04:46 AM »
Take my word for it Blanchflower as a player was sublime, best I have ever seen in a Villa shirt, as a man he was a total shit.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 12:22:26 AM »
Why do you say that, Brian?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 09:18:29 PM »
The Blanchflower story is buried very deep in our club history.  That is where it will stay.  Not for Blanchflower's sake but for others involved. 

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2020, 01:04:07 AM »
This could make a great detective story, Brian.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2020, 01:09:41 AM »
Take my word for it Blanchflower as a player was sublime, best I have ever seen in a Villa shirt, as a man he was a total shit.
My Dad said that Cowans is the nearest he had seen to Blanchflower

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal