collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:07:12 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:07:12 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your all time, ultimate shit Aston Villa line up  (Read 24283 times)

Offline john2710

Re: Your all time, ultimate shit Aston Villa line up
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2020, 10:55:56 PM »
GK - Mark Bunn
FB - Bernie Gallagher
FB - Tony Luna
CB - Micah Richards
CB - Steve Foster

MF - Mark Kinsella
MF - Alex Tonev
MF - Neale Cooper
MF - Eric Djemba-Djemba

CF - Rudy Gestede
CF - Geoff Vowden

Subs
Thomas Sorensen
Jean Makoun
Giles de Bilde
Nigel Callaghan
Bosko Balaban
Ulises De La Cruz
Steve Sims

Manager Billy McNeil

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2020, 11:02:22 PM »
No no way Geoff Vowden. He made Andy Lochhead tick.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2020, 11:15:31 PM »
Kiraly is just remembered for the error in his last game (and his bizarre matchday outfit!) Was fine in the other games like 0-0 v Chelsea which was the league game before Man. United in the cup.

He was just a short term fix when the first two were injured, Mark Bunn much worse than him for a start. After his England error Carson was pretty poor for the rest of 07/08 aswell.

Bunn was probably the worst keeper I can recall aswell. His display during the cabbage fest against Preston will live long in the memory. Genuinely looked too short to play in goal. Nyland was woeful in the championship but redeemed himself a bit this season.

So many non entities in GT2 stint alone, Allback, Leonhardsen, Gudjohnson, Hadji, Kachoul, Kinsella, Crouch was laughably poor too . That was a truly awful team.

Allback saved us really in the run in with a goal spree out of nowhere. Leonhardsen chipped in with a few goals so think those two are harsh. Was actually quite excited when we got in Hadji (and to lesser extend Kachoul) as they were decent players in premier league but both amounted to little here.

I always feel one of GT's mistakes second time around was breaking up the Vassell-Angel partnership that was flourishing nicely in 01-12 (they'd scored around 25 goals that season) although Dublin did get into double figures in 02-03.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2020, 11:23:06 PM »
I thought a Neal Cooper was good just injury prone.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2020, 09:00:27 AM »
No no way Geoff Vowden. He made Andy Lochhead tick.

Correct, he also weighed in with a few vital goals.  If people are looking for a shit full back, then I give you Barry Lynch.  He only played two games circa 1968/69 but he was simply awful.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2020, 09:06:38 AM »
GK - Mark Bunn
FB - Bernie Gallagher
FB - Tony Luna
CB - Micah Richards
CB - Steve Foster

MF - Mark Kinsella
MF - Alex Tonev
MF - Neale Cooper
MF - Eric Djemba-Djemba

CF - Rudy Gestede
CF - Geoff Vowden

Subs
Thomas Sorensen
Jean Makoun
Giles de Bilde
Nigel Callaghan
Bosko Balaban
Ulises De La Cruz
Steve Sims

Manager Billy McNeil

Some good shouts in there John.

Kinsella was absolutely horrendous, he made Ashley Westwood look like a combination of Zidane and Roy Keane.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2020, 09:16:10 AM »
Kinsella, forgot about him. He was very shit and a strong consideration for the worst ever 11. I also forgot about Drinky who contends heavily for the most shit and the team of c***s.

Konsa, don't agree with that one at all. I think he's a young player with real promise. I can think of many players just in his position that were a lot worse.
Karim El Ahmadi was one i considered, another player that played way too many times for us.

Leonhardsen was certainly one of the most underwhelming deadline day signings but he actually did quite well on the right side of midfield. I think he scored 3 goals in maybe 10 games and always looked capable of setting others up, i think he did have a few assists.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:20:08 AM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2020, 09:31:41 AM »
Since 1996. Based entirely on performances rather than personality (hence Elphick). Might do a wanker XL as well.

Kiraly

Richards   Elphick  Lescott   Richardson

Sanchez  Drinkwater

Routledge       Kinsella        Tonev

Balaban

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
Wanker XL;

Schmeichel

Collins   Alpay   Lescott

Richards  Ireland Delph Drinkwater  Downing

Yorke  McCormack   

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2020, 10:59:19 AM »
Konsa & Cresto? 

They’ve only played a few minutes

And Paul Birch? Hang your head

I didn't pick Birch, he was one of my favourite players back in the day. Presume you mean Gallagher is still the worst player I have seen at fullback even with the stiff competition offered up in recent years.

Konsa has been truly dreadful thus far. Could have gone for Okore, Ridgewell, Cooper plenty to choose from. Crespo was a head scratching signing.

To be honest this is a much harder team to pick than the best one! I didn't read through other peoples teams until after I posted but there are some god awful players I left out. Hellenius, Tonev, Holman, Djemba Djemba. Ugh.
Putting Wesley in is harsh for a young, existing player in his first season; and has scored a few goals. Give the kid a chance, FFS!

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
Konsa & Cresto? 

They’ve only played a few minutes

And Paul Birch? Hang your head

I didn't pick Birch, he was one of my favourite players back in the day. Presume you mean Gallagher is still the worst player I have seen at fullback even with the stiff competition offered up in recent years.

Konsa has been truly dreadful thus far. Could have gone for Okore, Ridgewell, Cooper plenty to choose from. Crespo was a head scratching signing.

To be honest this is a much harder team to pick than the best one! I didn't read through other peoples teams until after I posted but there are some god awful players I left out. Hellenius, Tonev, Holman, Djemba Djemba. Ugh.
Putting Wesley in is harsh for a young, existing player in his first season; and has scored a few goals. Give the kid a chance, FFS!

Cooper was a midfielder, not a defender. Difficult to remember as he hardly played (didn't their used to be a poster here called Cooper's Injury?). There was a lot of hope when he came, as he was a decent and very hard midfielder at Aberdeen, and won the Cup Winners Cup there. Tragically of course he died a couple of years ago.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »
Kinsella, forgot about him. He was very shit and a strong consideration for the worst ever 11. I also forgot about Drinky who contends heavily for the most shit and the team of c***s.

Konsa, don't agree with that one at all. I think he's a young player with real promise. I can think of many players just in his position that were a lot worse.
Karim El Ahmadi was one i considered, another player that played way too many times for us.

Leonhardsen was certainly one of the most underwhelming deadline day signings but he actually did quite well on the right side of midfield. I think he scored 3 goals in maybe 10 games and always looked capable of setting others up, i think he did have a few assists.

I remember John Blackwell trying to convince us that Leonhardsen was one of the greatest 10 players to have ever played the game.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2020, 11:47:56 AM »

I remember John Blackwell trying to convince us that Leonhardsen was one of the greatest 10 players to have ever played the game.

We had the Norwegian Eirik Bakke around the same time to. Someone I can hardly remember.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2020, 11:53:44 AM »

Ha ha, John Blackwell, fucking hell.

On the topic of Kinsella, whilst he was clearly not the required standard, am I imagining it or did someone post on here that he is apparently a huge Villa fan and was overjoyed to just have the chance to pull on the jersey?

To be fair, he played like a fan that had won a competition.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
I think Wesley must be in with a shout of being on the list.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal