collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Previous Transfer Approach  (Read 7350 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Previous Transfer Approach
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 12:05:43 PM »
A very interesting and revealing article.  Sounds to me like we had a pretty sound scouting system and recruitment plan, a combination of spotting talent early for development and combining them with experienced pros who could keep the club ticking over.   The scouts are reasonably vindicated by the fact both the recommendations we did sign, and many of those we didn't,  have gone on to become top level performers.   

Sadly the person choosing the experienced pros seems to have been Sherwood and they turned out to be crocks, past-its and ne'er do wells like Richards and Lescott or out of their depth like Gestede.   His other preferences don't reflect well on him either although one or two (Townsend?)  may well have improved us.  Not duds like Lennon and Cleverly though who would have just drained the coffers even further.

Little wonder we ended up with a rift between the young foreign players and a clique of British "pros".  It was never going to work if Sherwood wasn't bought in to the process.  I get the feeling that even if we'd signed Gomez, Vardy, Kante, Praet and some of the others mentioned Sherwood would still have found a way to fuck it up - like telling the scouts he wanted wingbacks for 3-5-2 and then never using it.  The fucking moron.   

I think you’ve nailed the premise of the whole article kt in that Tim Sherwood was utterly incapable and massively out of his depth. Unfortunately for us he got lucky with motivating the team for survival and an FA Cup final the season before, for which he should be given great credit, but he should never have been given the job full time, his weaknesses were brutally exposed in the last few weeks of the season and in the Cup Final.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »

0-2 up. Coasting. Makes the most ridiculous substitution. You could see it coming.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 02:09:42 PM »
A very interesting and revealing article.  Sounds to me like we had a pretty sound scouting system and recruitment plan, a combination of spotting talent early for development and combining them with experienced pros who could keep the club ticking over.   The scouts are reasonably vindicated by the fact both the recommendations we did sign, and many of those we didn't,  have gone on to become top level performers.   

Sadly the person choosing the experienced pros seems to have been Sherwood and they turned out to be crocks, past-its and ne'er do wells like Richards and Lescott or out of their depth like Gestede.   His other preferences don't reflect well on him either although one or two (Townsend?)  may well have improved us.  Not duds like Lennon and Cleverly though who would have just drained the coffers even further.

Little wonder we ended up with a rift between the young foreign players and a clique of British "pros".  It was never going to work if Sherwood wasn't bought in to the process.  I get the feeling that even if we'd signed Gomez, Vardy, Kante, Praet and some of the others mentioned Sherwood would still have found a way to fuck it up - like telling the scouts he wanted wingbacks for 3-5-2 and then never using it.  The fucking moron.   

Is there any chance Smith/Suso got in a similar muddle on a proposed formation last summer? We ended up with five senior centre backs, two right backs and two left backs. Both newly signed full backs are far more comfortable as wing backs than regular full backs. Targett in particular is miles out of his depth as a left back in a 4 at this level. Recruitment at the back seemed more aligned to 352, exception being Hause for whom that formation is not his friend.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 03:32:02 PM »

Is there any chance Smith/Suso got in a similar muddle on a proposed formation last summer? We ended up with five senior centre backs, two right backs and two left backs. Both newly signed full backs are far more comfortable as wing backs than regular full backs. Targett in particular is miles out of his depth as a left back in a 4 at this level. Recruitment at the back seemed more aligned to 352, exception being Hause for whom that formation is not his friend.

I disagree, I think Targett and Guilbert were signed to be attacking fullbacks and the idea was that we'd have more possession so they'd spend more time up the field (in the way Robertson and Alexander-Arnold do) with 1 of the midfielders sitting in as cover if teams counter quickly, that's also why we went for centre backs that are comfortable on the ball (other than Hause who I think we signed because we had the agreement in place and needed cover for Mings).

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 07:24:25 PM »
Slight tangent, but there are similarities with this year’s recruitment.   A few young players who look to have potential but would benefit massively if they were joining more established sides.
.... I dont see much potential in the likes of Wesley, Targett, Trez and Konsa unfortunately.
And beware repeating the mistakes of the recent past! 2 or 3 of these 4 have potential and we should support them with more epxerienced colleagues rather than binning them off.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 07:48:20 PM »
Think Douglas Luiz will be an excellent premier league central midfielder.......in 18 months.

Of course he blows hot and cold but generally which of the unknown summer signings haven't. So it's a case of being patient and I really think he'll be a fantastic player in the near future.

He does seem to generate an incredible amount of stick when he has a poor game compared to other players. Not sure if that's because people feel Man. City will buy him back the period he strings five very good games together so he dosen't feel ours but I can't really see how Nakamba has been much better than him at all over the 20 or so games they've both played.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:13 PM »
I like Luiz, I think Konsa will be very good in a few years if he can cut out the errors and I've seen enough from Wesley to think he can be a very good target man in a few years.

Of all of the summer signings the 2 I'm not sure about are Nakamba and Trez. I like Nakamba for his energy but he's not disciplined enough to work with any of our other midfielders alongside him so I don't see what he brings. If we had Drinkwater as he was at Leicester I think it could work with Nakamba buzzing around and Drinkwater giving us structure but that experiment didn't work. Trez is trying to play at 110% all the time and needs to calm the fuck down but I don't know if he'll get the time to do that.

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2020, 10:52:27 PM »
So it may seem that Paddy Reilly and the rest of the recruitment crowd did know what they were doing after all, and that the potential they saw in the young French players is now being realised. But even though I'm glad for them that they turned out OK, we needed them to hit the ground running. We also needed proper experience in that side, and I don't mean the wasters that were very quickly found out. Tim Sherwood will probably never work again as a manager, such was his ineptitude in post that year.

Other memories from that season include team captain Santa Richards sulking on the pitch because he couldn't play where he wanted to play, our club captain stoned out of his skull in foreign parts, Lescott and his magical phone, Bacuna on a segway in Birmingham airport, Guzan and Lescott having a spitting competition on the bench as we were being played off the pitch by Wycombe, N'Zogbia's travel blog/piss take at our expense, and Lerner's mum telling her little man child that she's taking the company off him, not to mention the Liverpool debacle.

And they threw kids into that mix...Jesus.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »

0-2 up. Coasting. Makes the most ridiculous substitution. You could see it coming.

This game was the start of our troubles for me.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »

This game was the start of our troubles for me.

Sliding doors moment I reckon, Leicester exploded from there to end up winning the league, we fell apart and haven't recovered.

I'd love to look at the alternative history where we scored a 3rd and cruised to the 3 points.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 02:21:20 PM »
We played really really well for the first hour of that game. Missed countless chances at 0-0 (Sinclair most of them) then Grealish curled in a nice goal. Second one was fantastic, think it was Carles Gil who scored.

Was similar to many of our performances in the run in the previous season. Would've still been a scramble to get to 40 points and Sherwood probablt sacked around February even if we'd still won though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal