collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 44858 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: Next manager
« Reply #375 on: July 12, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »
Tammy aside, who left whom would have made any kind of difference do you think?

I can’t see Whelan doing any worse than Nakamba, I can’t see Elphick doing much worse than Engels, I can’t see Adomah being much worse than Trez. There’s about £35million there. None of them are world beaters but did we really get that much if an upgrade on what are essentially squad fillers.

Come on, we all watch games, that group along with Jedinak and Hutton were never going to cut it, as evidenced by what they are doing now.

The recruitment was poor but those named still needed replacing, but with better scouted players than we got.

I’ll admit this part is hindsight but I’m simply suggesting that if the spread on 13 players across £140 million was too great and your targets were all out of reach then you have to adjust the incoming numbers down to make it work. Squad is important but first XI takes priority.  I agree it would have been a risk and many would’ve moaned (me included probably) but this is their job after all.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #376 on: July 12, 2020, 11:17:36 AM »
I can imagine the meltdown on here had we gone into this season with Adomah, Whelan and Elphick in the side.

Not in the side in the squad. Benrhama, Maupay, Axel them come in as you’ve just saved £35mill.

You can probably only afford  one of those players with £35 million though. So then you’ve quite likely got two of those you mentioned playing around twenty games this season. Which I think it’s fair to say wouldn’t have gone well.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #377 on: July 12, 2020, 11:19:32 AM »
Sticking with Smith next season would be madness. 
He’s lost most of the fans.
He’s lost most of the players.
There is no way he would get us promoted without Jack.
Week after week we can see that he cannot coach, motivate, adapt, do tactics etc. 
We have had some poor managers over the years.  But he comes close to being top of the pile. 

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #378 on: July 12, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »
If you sign Maupay you don’t then need Samatta in January.  So in total the spend saved is approx £50 million.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #379 on: July 12, 2020, 11:23:53 AM »
I see Steer’s name mentioned above.  What the hell has happened to him?  Wasn’t he meant to be back in January?!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2020, 11:26:17 AM »
If you sign Maupay you don’t then need Samatta in January.  So in total the spend saved is approx £50 million.

What if Maupay had got injured like Wesley did?

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2020, 11:27:44 AM »

You would if he’d have broken his leg.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »

Offline OzVilla

« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:40 AM »
You get a loan to buy in if we stayed up and cross your fingers. It’s not a perfect solution but we’re going down as it is. Do you think we’d have had a better chance of playing PL football with Cahill/Axel, Maupay and Benrhama starting 30+ games this season?

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #384 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »
Even if you believe that we should keep Smith because you think he knows the Championship and will get us straight back up - what then?  Do you also believe that he will then demonstrate all he has learned this year and firmly entrench us in the Premied League - because I don't.

Offline dl9

• It all began vs Eintracht Frankfurt......
« Reply #385 on: July 12, 2020, 11:51:16 AM »
It’s as obvious as the nose on your face who the next manager needs to be
Forget Sean Dyche, there’s not a chance in hell he is voluntarily dropping out of the Prem, why would he do that? The West Ham job would be a far more appealing prospect, stay in the Prem or drop down to Villa in the Championship? Wtf seriously.
Nigel Farage will get us out.
100% he will get us out of the Championship first season and into League 1, but he will do so for less than the £140m we wasted this year.
Stevie Wonder comes in as DOF. Improve upon the Samatta and Drinkwater acquisitions will be his objective. Tough I know but I think he’s up for it. In fact, better still, stick Stevie up front instead.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »
Tammy aside, who left whom would have made any kind of difference do you think?

I can’t see Whelan doing any worse than Nakamba, I can’t see Elphick doing much worse than Engels, I can’t see Adomah being much worse than Trez. There’s about £35million there. None of them are world beaters but did we really get that much if an upgrade on what are essentially squad fillers.

Come on, we all watch games, that group along with Jedinak and Hutton were never going to cut it, as evidenced by what they are doing now.

The recruitment was poor but those named still needed replacing, but with better scouted players than we got.

Think we lost a huge amount of leadership in the dressing room though, probably why we kept Chester around for six months even though we knew he wouldn't be up to playing in premier league (he's been awful at Stoke btw).

We should've used the loan market to get in an older head or two on loan for the season. Clubs higher up in the league use it, Leicester for example signed Bennett from Wolves in January on loan. He's someone I'd look at if they don't sign him permanently as he's obviously much better than Hause.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #388 on: July 12, 2020, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #389 on: July 12, 2020, 12:04:18 PM »
We're famous: Wolves fan posting about this thread on Twitter

Spot yourselves!

Wolves and Newcastle fans. How desperately sad, the obsessed freaks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal