collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 02:36:36 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 45190 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Next manager
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
Tammy aside, who left whom would have made any kind of difference do you think?

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2020, 10:39:07 AM »
DS will have a voice on who we signed but his wouldn’t have been the only one, the game has changed, signings are made by committee now.

Yes the days of letting someone like O'Neil have full control are over.

I find some of the arguments for Smith perplexing ..Keeping him he knows the Championship .So does Bruce  or Neil Warnock and im sure any attempts to employee them wouldn't be met with much positivity.
Smith in the championship was know for having an entertaining side but they conceded too many goals which is why he never got close to the play'off's where as his replacement has them challenging for the top 2.

Also we need to give managers more time ..Of our recent managers only RDM I think we could say should of had more time and I only say that as he got 10 games or so with a team he didn't put together with a backroom team he didn't put together and even then its a fine line as his time post Chelsea in management as been poor.The reality as far as I can see is we as a club for years now have employed the wrong managers. I also include MON in that as with the cash he had at the time he should of done better and his control of the transfer policy led to our downfall and relegation.

In terms of a new boss Dyche sticks out but other clubs seem to pick up decent managers no one has herd of here.Franks at Brentford , Wagner , Farke to name a few.Leeds picked up Bielsa so I think top managers can be attracted  it just needs the right knowledge at board level which is what worries me.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2020, 10:41:00 AM »
Committee or not Smith would have known the budget and agreed to let all those players leave in full knowledge what the turnover to budget ratio would be. 2/3 could have been kept to allow for more quality if that’s a real concern.

If he really wanted Benrhama or Maupay then you asses their cost and cut your cloth with a few less departures. I dare say his voice got the casting vote on all decisions (at least it should have).  But we rushed and let players go within a week of promotion.

Cahill is another who seemed like a no brainer which we lacked the brains to follow up.

Yep, we should have gone for quality not quantity.

Cahill should have been our top priority imo. Yes, it's reported that he didn't want to leave London, but with the Villa and Chelsea/John Terry links (and a hefty chunk of cash), I'm sure something could have been done. Mings would have undoubtedly benefitted having an old, assured head by his side, and would stand him in good stead for the future.

Maupay was another one. Imagine the interplay we could have had between him and Jack?!

Such as waste of money and a season.    :(

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #363 on: July 12, 2020, 10:41:26 AM »

Axel

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2020, 10:42:26 AM »
In considering the pros and cons of the manager and this season, I'd say that - since the manager is ultimately accountable for the outcomes on the field - these are the key issues:
* team readiness to compete (appropriate players picked game by game, team and individual motivation)
* fitness and condition of the players
* ability to prevent goals being conceded (defence of set pieces being a large part of the game)
* ability to exploit our own set pieces (particularly with a player that wins so many)
* tactical adaptability
* contingency planning for player unavailability

On all of these, no one would score Smith at 100% and on many he would not achieve an 'acceptable' score.

Consider how Wilder might be scored on these factors, for comparison.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:44:27 AM by Mister E »

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2020, 10:42:49 AM »
The argument for retaining Smith is purely pragmatic, we need to get this group of players (or something close to them) back up immediately. He did it 12 months ago.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2020, 10:43:15 AM »

Axel

I miss his song.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2020, 10:43:39 AM »

Axel

Forgot him. Yes, he probably would.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2020, 10:46:36 AM »

I can’t see Whelan doing any worse than Nakamba, I can’t see Elphick doing much worse than Engels, I can’t see Adomah being much worse than Trez. There’s about £35million there. None of them are world beaters but did we really get that much if an upgrade on what are essentially squad fillers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #369 on: July 12, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
The argument for retaining Smith is purely pragmatic, we need to get this group of players (or something close to them) back up immediately. He did it 12 months ago.

Then, at best, we would be no better than we were at the start of this disastrous season.

We need someone to take us up AND be good enough in the Premier League. If we are happy just to be a yoyo club then we should appoint Neil Warnock, he has a far better record in the second tier than Dean Smith.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #370 on: July 12, 2020, 10:50:03 AM »
I can imagine the meltdown on here had we gone into this season with Adomah, Whelan and Elphick in the side.

Offline ez

« Reply #371 on: July 12, 2020, 10:51:36 AM »
We didn't have to sign good players to stay up. Average ones would have done it. Or even below average. Trouble is we signed mainly crap.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #372 on: July 12, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
But Warnock hasn’t got this bunch of players up playing Dean Smiths style of football.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #373 on: July 12, 2020, 10:55:25 AM »

I can’t see Whelan doing any worse than Nakamba, I can’t see Elphick doing much worse than Engels, I can’t see Adomah being much worse than Trez. There’s about £35million there. None of them are world beaters but did we really get that much if an upgrade on what are essentially squad fillers.

Come on, we all watch games, that group along with Jedinak and Hutton were never going to cut it, as evidenced by what they are doing now.

The recruitment was poor but those named still needed replacing, but with better scouted players than we got.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #374 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:42 AM »
I can imagine the meltdown on here had we gone into this season with Adomah, Whelan and Elphick in the side.

Not in the side in the squad. Benrhama, Maupay, Axel them come in as you’ve just saved £35mill.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal