collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 44880 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Next manager
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
Luke, you are correct in that there are several elements to this relegation but surely you admit that Smith is a huge factor in that too? 

In terms of the posts integrated, Dean being a proven Championship Manager, Thomas Frank has done better with Brentford than Dean did.  It is a highly arguable point too.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2020, 09:19:29 AM »
The time to change was Christmas/ new year, but for better or worse- worse probably, we didn’t. Think he’ll be there next season and think he owes us now to get back up. I reckon he will too.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2020, 09:20:21 AM »
I’m sure every Football Manager who’s ever been sacked can point to mitigation’s as to why he’s failed but you’ve still failed. It’s brutal for Dean but he’s been shown up this season as not being good enough and it’s time for him to depart.

As for his replacement, god only knows, but please not a Manager or coach who doesn’t have the balls or size of personality required for the job. I realise Aston Villa maybe doesn’t currently have the cache it once had as a top half Premier League name but the whole club is set up to be that and it needs someone with that vision and mentality.

In my view there is no British Manager who fulfils that criteria currently.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2020, 10:00:03 AM »
Dean Smith had one job to do. Finish in the top seventeen in the league. If he fails in doing that he has to go.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2020, 10:01:15 AM »
Another point which frustrates the hell out of me, is the Smith-faithful's argument that he's been dealt a bad hand with his squad.

Are you telling me that ANY manager worth his salt is seriously going to  sit by a let the club bring in players that he doesn't want? Garbage. He'd at the very least of been allowed to run the rule over them before agreeing to any purchase. And surely, a manager would be able to figure out his best 11 over the course of a year?!

Another one is 'Give him another chance in the Championship - He's proven at that level'. No he isn't!
We were rotten in that league without Grealish in the side (which we will be next season), and Brentford are waaaay better since he left. There's NO defense that he's good enough to even get us competing a division lower.

We should have cut our losses at Christmas and got a proven manager in - a Pearson or Allardyce, who would have steadied the ship, secured our league place, and allow us to build from there. As it stands, we'll now be asset stripped of any players worth a bob or two, and be left with a husk of a squad that has no chance of competing at that level.

I'm fearful that we're sleep walking into a Sunderland/Portsmouth/Coventry/Sheffield Wednesday type affair if we're not careful.  :(
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:03:24 AM by Nii Lamptey »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »
If there is one bad hand he has been dealt, it was losing Heaton, McGinn and Wesley.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2020, 10:13:32 AM »
If there is one bad hand he has been dealt, it was losing Heaton, McGinn and Wesley.

Fair point. GK should have been covered by Steer (I'd have given him #1 this season after his heroics last season), McGinn was out of form before his injury, so no loss there imo, and Wesley.. .well. We all knew we'd come unstuck just signing one unproven, striker for a whole Premier League campaign, so I have ZERO sympathy for him there.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »
Luke, you are correct in that there are several elements to this relegation but surely you admit that Smith is a huge factor in that too? 

In terms of the posts integrated, Dean being a proven Championship Manager, Thomas Frank has done better with Brentford than Dean did.  It is a highly arguable point too.

Smith is absolutely a factor. There are a lot of areas where Smith has made mistakes and could have done better and he should be accountable for that. But, as I said, I think there have also be a lot of others factors that have also had a significant impact on the season that mean it’s a bit simplistic to just say he should be sacked because we get relegated (if we do of course!)

Personally, I think there is a decent amount to be said for continuity in football. When you factor in the other circumstances regarding our performance this season, and look at the positive aspects of Smith’s time here, then I wouldn’t be unhappy to see him still in charge next season.

Re - Brentford. They are a bit of an unique club, so not necessarily straightforward to compare managers, but, and obviously we will never know, they were looking pretty good before Smith left last season.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2020, 10:15:48 AM »
DS will have a voice on who we signed but his wouldn’t have been the only one, the game has changed, signings are made by committee now.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #354 on: July 12, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »

Smith is absolutely a factor. There are a lot of areas where Smith has made mistakes and could have done better and he should be accountable for that. But, as I said, I think there have also be a lot of others factors that have also had a significant impact on the season that mean it’s a bit simplistic to just say he should be sacked because we get relegated (if we do of course!)

Personally, I think there is a decent amount to be said for continuity in football. When you factor in the other circumstances regarding our performance this season, and look at the positive aspects of Smith’s time here, then I wouldn’t be unhappy to see him still in charge next season.

Re - Brentford. They are a bit of an unique club, so not necessarily straightforward to compare managers, but, and obviously we will never know, they were looking pretty good before Smith left last season.

What are these positive factors you mention Luke8? Barring getting lucky with promotion, I'm not seeing it?

Offline The_ads

« Reply #355 on: July 12, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
I think stick with Dean tbh. He knows the squad and where it went wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. He is also a good manager at that level.

I'd say we've got a group that'd do OK in the Championship and probably finish around the play-offs. If we can add 3-4 experienced heads and a Jack replacement we should be in the promotion mix.

Nah. Can’t afford to do ‘ok’ in the Championship. Need to finish in the top 2. No pissing about

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »

Fair point. GK should have been covered by Steer (I'd have given him #1 this season after his heroics last season), McGinn was out of form before his injury, so no loss there imo, and Wesley.. .well. We all knew we'd come unstuck just signing one unproven, striker for a whole Premier League campaign, so I have ZERO sympathy for him there.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Steer come in to replace Heaton and get injured as well? McGinn was a massive loss, regardless of his form. As for Wesley. yes, we should have bought in another striker as well as him.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2020, 10:21:36 AM »
DS will have a voice on who we signed but his wouldn’t have been the only one, the game has changed, signings are made by committee now.

I'd say thats partially down to the personality of the manager too. Smith comes across as a nice bloke, but very much a 'yes' man. You get someone in there with the personality of a Benitez, Pearson or Allardyce, and I'm pretty sure they'd make their feelings known if they didn't want a player.

We need a manager that's going to take this club by the scruff of the neck, and give it a kick up the arse into the 21st Century. Dean Smith is not that man (and not saying that any of the 3 above would be either - Though I wouldn't say no to Benitez, Purslow issues aside!).

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2020, 10:24:15 AM »
One of the reasons he’s head coach and not manager is down to the change in method of recruiting players.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #359 on: July 12, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
Committee or not Smith would have known the budget and agreed to let all those players leave in full knowledge what the turnover to budget ratio would be. 2/3 could have been kept to allow for more quality if that’s a real concern.

If he really wanted Benrhama or Maupay then you asses their cost and cut your cloth with a few less departures. I dare say his voice got the casting vote on all decisions (at least it should have).  But we rushed and let players go within a week of promotion.

Cahill is another who seemed like a no brainer which we lacked the brains to follow up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal