collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Villa v Leeds post match thread by FatSam
[Today at 10:18:12 PM]

Other Games - 2020/21 by Monty
[Today at 09:57:48 PM]

Boxing 2020 by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:45:01 PM]

Golf 2020 by Villa Lew
[Today at 09:41:24 PM]

Cameron Archer (out on loan until January 2021) by Risso
[Today at 09:26:05 PM]

The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by usav
[Today at 09:20:27 PM]

Guess The Goal R9: Villa v Southampton, Sunday 1st November by johnc
[Today at 08:35:15 PM]

Dean Smith - Confirmed by Louzie0
[Today at 07:51:54 PM]

Today at 05:38:44 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 320 | Comments: 1

Since they bought the club jus...
October 20, 2020, 12:29:57 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1111 | Comments: 16

[url=https://ibb.co/Wxcn...
October 14, 2020, 03:30:23 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 567 | Comments: 3

In December 1950 the directors...
October 05, 2020, 12:24:02 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1413 | Comments: 7

[url=https://ibb.c...
October 04, 2020, 12:05:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 595 | Comments: 4

All the machinations at the fo...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 317816 times)

Offline KRS

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #5160 on: September 22, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »
Two West Ham players just confirmed as testing positive for Covid and have been sent home to self isolate. It feels like itís only a matter of time the way this is spreading again now.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #5161 on: September 22, 2020, 07:56:19 PM »
Update on return of fans

No season tickets, ballot between last season's st holders. Fairest all round, really.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 06.07.2021
« Reply #5162 on: September 22, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
Two West Ham players just confirmed as testing positive for Covid and have been sent home to self isolate. It feels like itís only a matter of time the way this is spreading again now.

Moyes also tested positive.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5163 on: September 22, 2020, 08:26:18 PM »
I thought that they cancelled the football in Portugal last weekend due to a rise in cov-id cases?

Just the Sporting game with Gil Vicente. Sporting had 10 players out plus their coach while Gil Vicente managed 10 players and 5 coaching team infected. All asymptomatic.

Offline The Edge

• GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #5164 on: September 22, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »
I think it's highly unlikely this season won't be cancelled. You just have to see updates to restrictions being added every day/hour. Very reminiscent to before the original lockdown. Someone has seen the figures and projections we haven't yet and they realise its going to go tits up. Only thing stopping a national lockdown now is the political damage imo.
If the season was to be scrapped it would spell the end of football as we know it in this country. The only way it could survive would be to mothball all grounds, and furlough every member of staff at each and every club. No games= no income.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #5165 on: September 22, 2020, 08:27:38 PM »
Here's the first test for the football authorities:

Leyton Orient v Tottenham: Carabao Cup tie called off after positive coronavirus tests - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54248560

Round 4 matches are played next week and there's no time to reschedule.

Be interesting to see what the Football League do - if they kick Orient out for failure to complete, won't that just encourage clubs to try to hide positive cases?!

I can see that they might be tempted. Clubs canít test the samples themselves, they have neither the equipment nor the expertise, so theyíd need the collusion of the labs to do that which I canít see happening.

I was thinking more along the lines of clubs telling players with a cough or a fever to go home "injured" on the quiet.

Ultimately, clubs shouldn't be punished for doing the right thing, which is what will happen if Orient have to forfeit.

Online cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 21.01.2021
« Reply #5166 on: September 22, 2020, 10:30:08 PM »
I doubt they'll forfeit. They should be able to play it next week I'd have thought. Next round will likely be Tottenham v Chelsea, and they'll just play it on a European week with both teams playing reserve teams.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2021
« Reply #5167 on: September 22, 2020, 10:38:51 PM »
Well if they do cancel it now I think the fairest way to decide things would be on a points per game basis... 😉

And rather than goal difference it should be on goals conceded.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:41:07 PM by Drummond »

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #5168 on: September 22, 2020, 10:40:46 PM »
I think it's highly unlikely this season won't be cancelled. You just have to see updates to restrictions being added every day/hour. Very reminiscent to before the original lockdown. Someone has seen the figures and projections we haven't yet and they realise its going to go tits up. Only thing stopping a national lockdown now is the political damage imo.
If the season was to be scrapped it would spell the end of football as we know it in this country. The only way it could survive would be to mothball all grounds, and furlough every member of staff at each and every club. No games= no income.

I totally agree. Thing is at the moment there is a balancing act between keeping sport going, schools open, business working and the collateral damage of deaths, with public opinion the judge. My view is it only takes a death or two of a school kid or a footballer in a coma and it will go full lockdown
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:49:45 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #5169 on: September 23, 2020, 12:02:57 AM »
Looking at the Spurs fixtures it's hard to see when they can play it assuming they progress in Europe.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5170 on: September 23, 2020, 12:25:05 AM »
Liverpool were able to fulfill a fixture last season with their whole first team squad out of the country.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5171 on: September 23, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »
Here's the first test for the football authorities:

Leyton Orient v Tottenham: Carabao Cup tie called off after positive coronavirus tests - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54248560

Round 4 matches are played next week and there's no time to reschedule.

Be interesting to see what the Football League do - if they kick Orient out for failure to complete, won't that just encourage clubs to try to hide positive cases?!

I can see that they might be tempted. Clubs canít test the samples themselves, they have neither the equipment nor the expertise, so theyíd need the collusion of the labs to do that which I canít see happening.

I was thinking more along the lines of clubs telling players with a cough or a fever to go home "injured" on the quiet.

Ultimately, clubs shouldn't be punished for doing the right thing, which is what will happen if Orient have to forfeit.

i'd heard on the london news, that spurs had paid orient's costs for the tests!

apparently testing isn't mandatory in the efl, so there could be loads of asymptomatic players/staff!

Offline Drummond

• GM : 12.10.2021
« Reply #5172 on: September 23, 2020, 12:47:03 PM »
Liverpool were able to fulfill a fixture last season with their whole first team squad out of the country.

Nah, you must be mistaken, the records clearly show their first team lost to the might of Aston Villa.

Offline The Edge

• GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #5173 on: September 23, 2020, 12:55:15 PM »

I totally agree. Thing is at the moment there is a balancing act between keeping sport going, schools open, business working and the collateral damage of deaths, with public opinion the judge. My view is it only takes a death or two of a school kid or a footballer in a coma and it will go full lockdown
Yes it's a pickle alright. A forensically accurate track and trace system is the best way out of this situation in my view or a reliable vaccine but neither seem to be on the cards any time soon. The country cannot sustain the economy for much longer and football is run in a precarious way financially as it is. The outlook is bleak however you look at it.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2021
« Reply #5174 on: September 23, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »
I can't see any way they will cancel the season even if there's a few positive test.  Whilst the situation is far from ideal, it is better than clubs going to the wall.

As for a footballer in a coma etc, it's highly unlikely. I'm sure I heard a stat that anybody under 50 without health conditions is more likley to die in a car accident than of the virus.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal