collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746690 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #5055 on: September 22, 2020, 12:15:59 PM »
The Whitty and Vallance show yesterday suggested we’ve got a further 6 months of restrictions coming up. If so then I think there’s a strong possibility that the whole of this season will be spectator free.

I reckon there are going to be quite a few clubs outside the Premier League who go under as a result.

True, unless the government offer some sort of support It’s difficult to see how they can function. It throws into focus again the huge disparity between the money at the top of the game and the rest. Perhaps the ever generous Premier League will help out.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #5056 on: September 22, 2020, 12:36:30 PM »
Losing hundreds of millions from the chinese tv deal won’t help either...

Offline sid1964

« Reply #5057 on: September 22, 2020, 12:58:46 PM »
I read that the premier league have signed another deal with a Chinese TV company

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5058 on: September 22, 2020, 01:07:50 PM »
Said months ago I'd struggle to muster much enthusiasm for this season if fans are going to be locked out for majority as now is looking likely. Run in last season was a case of needs must imo and was the correct decision.

Normally I'd be buzzing after an opening day win but I'd already forgotten about it this morning, everything just feels detached but it's for the greater good of course.

Having 40k back in VP even in May seems a remote possibility, can only hope we get to August 2021 and feel again what a football fan does on opening day of season/morning of first home game.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #5059 on: September 22, 2020, 01:10:55 PM »
I reckon we are weeks away from another stop in football being played

There just seems no end with cov-id not just in the uk but also in Europe

I get the feeling football will just try to play through things e.g. players testing positive will just been seen like any other injury and teams will play on unless there's a massive outbreak. Gundogan missed Man. City match and they've had other cases in last few weeks but no thought of matches being postponed, same for PSG in France.

Of course a national lockdown changes everything.

If football is stopped for a few weeks I simply can't see how the season would finish given how congested the season already is, would probably have to cancel FA cup to fit in the domestic schedule.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #5060 on: September 22, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
I think it's highly unlikely this season won't be cancelled. You just have to see updates to restrictions being added every day/hour. Very reminiscent to before the original lockdown. Someone has seen the figures and projections we haven't yet and they realise its going to go tits up. Only thing stopping a national lockdown now is the political damage imo.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #5061 on: September 22, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »
The Whitty and Vallance show yesterday suggested we’ve got a further 6 months of restrictions coming up. If so then I think there’s a strong possibility that the whole of this season will be spectator free.

I reckon there are going to be quite a few clubs outside the Premier League who go under as a result.

True, unless the government offer some sort of support It’s difficult to see how they can function. It throws into focus again the huge disparity between the money at the top of the game and the rest. Perhaps the ever generous Premier League will help out.
The TV money involved in the Premier League is obscene and if they could not help these lower league clubs it would be an absolute travesty. The Ollie Watkin's of this world from academy's like Exeter could be a thing of the past and to think our fee to Brentford and the sell on to Exeter could keep them afloat, you realise it should not take much to help out across the leagues.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #5062 on: September 22, 2020, 01:16:41 PM »
Did the premier league actually agree on anything if season is just stopped? I'm pretty sure after all the debate between April and May they were going to agree on something at one of the club meetings e.g. positions are frozen if all clubs have played 10 games.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #5063 on: September 22, 2020, 01:18:40 PM »
I thought that they cancelled the football in Portugal last weekend due to a rise in cov-id cases?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #5064 on: September 22, 2020, 04:19:25 PM »
Here's the first test for the football authorities:

Leyton Orient v Tottenham: Carabao Cup tie called off after positive coronavirus tests - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54248560

Round 4 matches are played next week and there's no time to reschedule.

Be interesting to see what the Football League do - if they kick Orient out for failure to complete, won't that just encourage clubs to try to hide positive cases?!

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #5065 on: September 22, 2020, 04:55:28 PM »

Leyton Orient v Tottenham: Carabao Cup tie called off after positive coronavirus tests - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54248560

Be interesting to see what the Football League do - if they kick Orient out for failure to complete, won't that just encourage clubs to try to hide positive cases?!

Well yeah, that's why I think the season will be cancelled. Presumably you're in close contact training with other players, so doesn't that mean by definition you all have to go into quarantine for 10 days? So if Grealish tested positive today wouldn't he put the kyber on both our players and sheff united's last nite. I realise they test them frequently but as I understand its not fool-proof so if a player got really ill wouldn't the club be legally responsible or do they sign disclaimers?

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #5066 on: September 22, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »

I can see that they might be tempted. Clubs can’t test the samples themselves, they have neither the equipment nor the expertise, so they’d need the collusion of the labs to do that which I can’t see happening.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #5067 on: September 22, 2020, 07:08:14 PM »

Absolutely. We won’t be back for some time now.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5068 on: September 22, 2020, 07:27:51 PM »
We're finally going to win the cup this season aren't we?

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #5069 on: September 22, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
We're finally going to win the cup this season aren't we?

Yes. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal