collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 744676 times)

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #4695 on: May 30, 2020, 12:21:19 AM »
Any chance that you have backed us to go down Damo? 😉

I too hope so given his track record. ;)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4696 on: May 30, 2020, 12:45:24 AM »
Heartening to see that they look like they've looked after themselves, judging by Instagram.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #4697 on: May 30, 2020, 01:36:33 AM »
I hope so, it's their job to be fit.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #4698 on: May 30, 2020, 08:33:23 AM »
My position on football has been relatively consistent until now, it's a sport that has developed into entertainment and therefore a business of sorts, but, it remained ostensibly a sport. From 40k at Villa Park to next to no-one at Moor Lane, the game was the same but with the resumption of the "season" that is no longer the case.

Despite the veneer of noble intention, the EPL restarting is about money and nothing else at all. Now I don't have any issue with Football being played again under the necessary conditions that are dictated by concern for public health but to call it the same season is a fallacy worthy of the current Governments paper thin defence of Cummings. Before you mention the unnatural break in proceedings you have the new subs rule, removal of the hated VAR, continued consideration for neutral venues and players genuinely reticent to play the game at all.
We are supposed to be grateful for a few free to air games while the subscription services have a virtual monopoly with pubs closed and gatherings at properties outlawed.

And what of the other leagues, PPG'd or void with all the respect you would expect from people who just could not give a flying fuck about anything other than cash.

Money has long poisoned our game but never to the extent that we are expected to swallow the complete change of the definition of a season.

Of course I will follow our progress but certainly with less enthusiasm and whatever our fate, to try and tell me that this is the same season is utter nonsense and proof that business comes first and sport comes a long way behind.

Offline Rory

« Reply #4699 on: May 30, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
Well said, Nev.

Offline nevillain

« Reply #4700 on: May 30, 2020, 01:51:51 PM »
Nev, you have stolen my thoughts

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4701 on: May 30, 2020, 01:58:39 PM »
Any chance that you have backed us to go down Damo? 😉

I too hope so given his track record. ;)

Certainly more reliable than the Orange Dot.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4702 on: May 30, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »
I seem to be bucking the trend of popular opinion. Firstly I agree with the season being played out (I suspect Scotland now regret not holding fire on the decision to end the season). It has been more of a mid season break than anything. I also don't think we will go down.

Offline exigo

« Reply #4703 on: May 30, 2020, 02:53:40 PM »
Looking forward to it too. At least it puts our league survival in our own hands. Integrity will soon be forgotten as long as we can get up to 17th.
Wonder if we'll see a few additional touches at Villa Park too, to try and create some more home advantage. The owners dipped their hands in their deep pockets last summer to give the Villa Park exterior a spruce-up, so maybe they'll do some more now.

Pretty straightforward to get the WE ARE VILLA banner hanging from the Holte End roof again I would imagine. And the big screens would be easy to use in some way. Perhaps a surprise or two still to come.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4704 on: May 30, 2020, 03:13:53 PM »
Completely agree Nev.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #4705 on: May 30, 2020, 03:14:56 PM »
It has been more of a mid season break than anything.

By the time it starts again, the break will have been longer than the usual break between one season and the next.

All of the talk about starting playing again being uplifting for fans, I think many fans get a lift in the summer thinking about the next season.  They have gone through a season of not achieving what they thought they would or have had a far better season than they thought and they are all excited about the next season with new players coming in and how they are going to improve (the usual unfulfilled dreams).

What about this year, next season will be rushed through after completing this one, the transfer market will be like the January one and no chance of going to watch a few friendly matches at new grounds or overseas for some.  What of the teams that get relegated.  They will have no time to prepare for next season.  So many players usually come and go in the summer for newly relegated teams.  Trying to prepare for the playing side of things will be next to impossible, to the point of possibly writing off the first quarter of the season.  The only balancing factor I can see is that many clubs in the division that a relegated club will be going into will be cutting players at the ends of contracts and limiting expensive loan deals due to the financial mess.  On top of this, there is very little time to reach agreement on how next season is to be organised.

I was all for finishing the season by playing out the games but in a reasonable timescale so that there would be a sufficient break between this season and next so that finances could be sorted.  This has not happened and once they could see it could not be completed by the end of June, the season should have been cancelled.  I think prolonging the season will lead to more clubs going into financial difficulties than if the season had been cancelled and a financial agreement reached with the broadcasters.  Of course, in the interests of Aston Villa, I was very keen on the season being cancelled by pushing this limited extension of the season and then fighting it out for no relegation.

I for one, will not be interested in the remaining games, other from a result point of view.  The matches will be played out in a sterile way that I cannot drum up any excitement for.  Without the virus pandemic, I would be sitting here today thinking about next season with some excitement of what might be, regardless of whether we were still in the Premier League or starting afresh in the Championship.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #4706 on: May 30, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »
Wonder if we'll see a few additional touches at Villa Park too, to try and create some more home advantage. And the big screens would be easy to use in some way. Perhaps a surprise or two still to come.

How about not cleaning the Away dressing room between matches, a sign on the door saying "Away Dressing Room sponsored by the Co-op"  and playing some 1970s chanting over the speaker system.  Things like "You're going home in a f****** ambulance".  That might give us a bit of an advantage.  Apologies in advance for the dark humour if it offends anybody.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 03:47:45 PM by old man villa fan »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4707 on: May 30, 2020, 03:37:53 PM »
I think the sound of coughing over the speaker system might work to our advantage.  And a few spitoons around the away dressing room.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4708 on: May 30, 2020, 03:53:48 PM »
My position on football has been relatively consistent until now, it's a sport that has developed into entertainment and therefore a business of sorts, but, it remained ostensibly a sport. From 40k at Villa Park to next to no-one at Moor Lane, the game was the same but with the resumption of the "season" that is no longer the case.

Despite the veneer of noble intention, the EPL restarting is about money and nothing else at all. Now I don't have any issue with Football being played again under the necessary conditions that are dictated by concern for public health but to call it the same season is a fallacy worthy of the current Governments paper thin defence of Cummings. Before you mention the unnatural break in proceedings you have the new subs rule, removal of the hated VAR, continued consideration for neutral venues and players genuinely reticent to play the game at all.
We are supposed to be grateful for a few free to air games while the subscription services have a virtual monopoly with pubs closed and gatherings at properties outlawed.

And what of the other leagues, PPG'd or void with all the respect you would expect from people who just could not give a flying fuck about anything other than cash.

Money has long poisoned our game but never to the extent that we are expected to swallow the complete change of the definition of a season.

Of course I will follow our progress but certainly with less enthusiasm and whatever our fate, to try and tell me that this is the same season is utter nonsense and proof that business comes first and sport comes a long way behind.
Sports all round the world are looking at ways of restarting but of course football remains the big evil.

Of course finishing the season under these circumstances isn't ideal, but no soulution was ever going to be perfect.  This is probably the most fair and most authentic of all the potential options - certainly more so than PPG or voiding the season.

We're unfortunate that we have lost true home advantage on more occaisions than any other team.  But equally we were in free fall and the break couldn't have come at a better time for us.  Surely we have more chance of beating Shefield now than we would have had eight weeks ago?

If we go down we'll always feel a hard done by, but we have the same opportunity as every other team to get our act into gear and earn survival.  If we fail to do that then not withstanding the freak circumstances we will have earned our relegation.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4709 on: May 30, 2020, 04:01:37 PM »
Wouldn't you go to hospital in an ambulance as opposed to home?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal