collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746775 times)

Online spangley1812

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #4515 on: May 25, 2020, 12:27:56 PM »
Once there is full contact training, or the games commence, and a player tests positive, I’m not clear what happens then. Do the whole squad and last opposition have to self isolate for 14 days? Isn’t that what the trace, test, isolate plan all about? Or are they just going to ignore that?

This is all stuff that will be announced over the next few weeks as they move towards trying to restart, they will follow what happens in Germany and Spain

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #4516 on: May 25, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »
Apparently the government are to allow close contact training, so why can't fans, those who have been tested and can prove they are negative, attend at the stadium?  It's sounds like another Cummins Law, you know?  One rule for them and another one for us?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #4517 on: May 25, 2020, 02:37:29 PM »
The players and the clubs are being led down a path one step at a time, with each step being a small leap.  The full truth of the situation is being kept from them so they can knock down one hurdle at a time with the weight of public opinion magnified by the self-interested media.

If even six weeks ago you had said this is where we will be in six weeks time and still have to sort this and that out, people would have said cancel the season now.

« Reply #4518 on: May 25, 2020, 03:59:32 PM »
The players and the clubs are being led down a path one step at a time, with each step being a small leap.  The full truth of the situation is being kept from them so they can knock down one hurdle at a time with the weight of public opinion magnified by the self-interested media.

If even six weeks ago you had said this is where we will be in six weeks time and still have to sort this and that out, people would have said cancel the season now.

Do you ever get that feeling that somebody is looking over your shoulder.  No sooner had I posted the above and check the Telegraph sports pages and by coincidence I see:

Now is not the time for the Premier League to decide what happens if the season is curtailed
While it appears logical for the Premier League to debate this issue, doing so will only create greater confusion

JASON BURT
CHIEF FOOTBALL CORRESPONDENT

Who goes on to write:

"What all this suggests is that while it appears logical, and for the sake of clarity, for the Premier League to decide on what happens if the season is curtailed now it is probably not the right time to do so. Because it has not already taken place it is a discussion that can wait".

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4519 on: May 25, 2020, 07:39:08 PM »
Once there is full contact training, or the games commence, and a player tests positive, I’m not clear what happens then. Do the whole squad and last opposition have to self isolate for 14 days? Isn’t that what the trace, test, isolate plan all about? Or are they just going to ignore that?

They will class any positive test as a normal injury & no doubt they will exclude anyone other than the infected player from isolating after all we are doing this for ‘the morale of the nation’ - on a couple of subscription tv channels obviously 🙄

Offline sid1964

« Reply #4520 on: May 26, 2020, 05:44:08 AM »
it seems to me if we do not play anymore games we will be relegated - I could not careless about taking the premier league to court, if that happens that will be next year at the earliest.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #4521 on: May 26, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »
Fortunately I think our owners most certainly will go legal. 

I'm not a legal expert, but with no mention of PPG anywhere in the EPL handbook or even leaked to say that they have a pre-agreed model in the event of a curtailment you'd think a legal case against the EPL if they tried to enforce PPG would be on reasonably strong ground.  Your effectively being forced to forfeit an asset with hundreds of millions of pounds.  As part of the 5% EPL ownership they'd be binding contractual obligations on both sides, one of those being a season is played over 38 games and only at the end of a season being completed is there then relegation. Contractually can the EPL change these terms now? 

I still think if we play we'll be more than safe by the end of the season, just think we needed the break more than the others did.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4522 on: May 26, 2020, 10:29:23 AM »
Fortunately I think our owners most certainly will go legal. 

I'm not a legal expert, but with no mention of PPG anywhere in the EPL handbook or even leaked to say that they have a pre-agreed model in the event of a curtailment you'd think a legal case against the EPL if they tried to enforce PPG would be on reasonably strong ground.  Your effectively being forced to forfeit an asset with hundreds of millions of pounds.  As part of the 5% EPL ownership they'd be binding contractual obligations on both sides, one of those being a season is played over 38 games and only at the end of a season being completed is there then relegation. Contractually can the EPL change these terms now? 

I still think if we play we'll be more than safe by the end of the season, just think we needed the break more than the others did.

If everybody had played the same number of games. there'd at least be an argument for ending the season on that basis.  Of course there'd still be arguments about number of home and away games played and quality of opposition etc, but at least it would be a relatively level playing field. 

Points per game is utter bollocks though.  As I said earlier, looking at extreme examples, if this happened at the very start of the season, would you relegate a team for being on zero points if they hadn't played a game and everybody else had? Or say it's the very end of the season, and a team like Liverpool have 90 points and a plus 25 goal difference.  Man City have played one game less and are on 87 points with a plus 35 goal difference and a home game against Norwich to come.  Are you going to award the title to Liverpool on that basis?  (Extreme examples to illustrate the point, not actual real points).

« Reply #4523 on: May 26, 2020, 10:59:04 AM »
The grounds for legal action against PPG would be very strong.  There have been two different PPG calculations that have been mentioned and each gives a different 3rd from bottom team relegated.  So, whichever method you vote for is in reality voting for which team you want relegated, a very dangerous legal precedent to set.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4524 on: May 26, 2020, 11:59:59 AM »
Happily, some lower-league teams are beginning to articulate their objections to ending the season in some mathematically-constructed or arbitrary way:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/25/barnsley-relegation-letter-efl

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #4525 on: May 26, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4526 on: May 26, 2020, 04:34:52 PM »
Spoke to the club earlier today, they're sending out an email possibly today/over the weekend/by Tuesday at the latest concerning what's happening for season ticket holders.  The person I spoke to said that it's difficult because the Premier League haven't officially ended the season or said what they were going to do. 

I did point out that the government has ruled out any games at all before June, and after that it will be games behind closed doors, so it's not that difficult actually to say that the season as defined as being before the end of May 2020 is over for the paying spectator.

4.30pm now on Tuesday, and nothing received.  Shoddy work by the club.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #4527 on: May 26, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »
Spoke to the club earlier today, they're sending out an email possibly today/over the weekend/by Tuesday at the latest concerning what's happening for season ticket holders.  The person I spoke to said that it's difficult because the Premier League haven't officially ended the season or said what they were going to do. 

I did point out that the government has ruled out any games at all before June, and after that it will be games behind closed doors, so it's not that difficult actually to say that the season as defined as being before the end of May 2020 is over for the paying spectator.

4.30pm now on Tuesday, and nothing received.  Shoddy work by the club.

Particularly as they should have addressed this some time ago anyway.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4528 on: May 26, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »
Like most workplaces, the commercial department might not be exactly firing on all cylinders. Give them a chance and I'm sure they'll get some info out this week. Their Twitter account has asked season ticket holders to check their email addresses are up to date as info is  coming.

Offline colin69

« Reply #4529 on: May 26, 2020, 05:21:55 PM »
The lack of any clarity for season ticket holders is very poor imo. However I will never go short of cheap third kits.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal